Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

Old 08-09-2023, 01:25 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
True I agree with you too. Work for govt got stability. And just do the necessary. Make sure all boxes ticked. Collect salary. It's not like move to pte the pay is DOUBLE that of a MMed right? Don't hear of Polyclinic Drs earning 500k.
In the pte side also don't think got unless is aesthetics or owner of GP chain maybe.
Must know how to keep sane too.

Promises Healthcare Clinic offering 350K per annum package for psychiatrist with at least 5 years of experience. 5 day work week. 9am to 5pm.

Old 08-09-2023, 01:33 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
For some Drs its all about ego. Either they say their pay higher so their ego can be bigger than yours or they say their title (MMED FP oooh lala) is bigger than yours so their ego is bigger than yours.
Frankly I think money more is better. These titles cannot eat one.
Totally agree with you as an MMed FP in Polyclinic unless you are Head then is something. Pay usually less than clinic owner.
But not so sure those locum or simple pte clinic employee is better than OPS or not.
Quick question. Work in Polyclinic can ever hit 500k a year or not?

How to increase income as a GP? Opening a clinic is hard because of high rent and competition. Aesthetics is a cut-throat game also.

Old 08-09-2023, 03:50 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Promises Healthcare Clinic offering 350K per annum package for psychiatrist with at least 5 years of experience. 5 day work week. 9am to 5pm.
Wah lau. Even Psychiatrist only 350k a year? Have to see how many patients a day?
No 500k? Surgeons I guess.

Old 08-09-2023, 02:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
How to increase income as a GP? Opening a clinic is hard because of high rent and competition. Aesthetics is a cut-throat game also.
Sell cough syrup
Old 08-09-2023, 05:39 PM
Unregistered

Can I ask, what happens if one gets a complaint in ops? Sorry I am very greenhorn and don't know the system well enough?
Currently a FM resident rotating through ops, got complained by a PT that "I didn't address her concerns thoroughly enough" - that was the exact words she wrote in the feedback.
My senior who handled the case told me he called the patient and settled everything already, just informing me to close the loop.
- he is a mmed FP in the clinic (not the head/deputy), I guess he is the one kena arrow to handle complaints in clinic? (He doesn't look that angry with me, although I don't really know him well to tell). He also didn't really share much details about his conversation with the patient so I am also not sure what exactly was the problem?

I was just wondering what usually happens next? Will such things affect residency progression or performance grading

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 08-09-2023, 05:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Wah lau. Even Psychiatrist only 350k a year? Have to see how many patients a day?
No 500k? Surgeons I guess.
All I want is 250k/year as a GP/FP and a simple life...

Old 08-09-2023, 06:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
All I want is 250k/year as a GP/FP and a simple life...
That’s why you need to be more proactive and start dating in Med school.. friend of mine works as a locum GP. Works a few days and takes leave for short holidays. Married to an Ortho husband.
Old 08-09-2023, 08:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
That’s why you need to be more proactive and start dating in Med school.. friend of mine works as a locum GP. Works a few days and takes leave for short holidays. Married to an Ortho husband.
So for guys, ortho is the place to be for money?

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 08-09-2023, 09:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Can I ask, what happens if one gets a complaint in ops? Sorry I am very greenhorn and don't know the system well enough?
Currently a FM resident rotating through ops, got complained by a PT that "I didn't address her concerns thoroughly enough" - that was the exact words she wrote in the feedback.
My senior who handled the case told me he called the patient and settled everything already, just informing me to close the loop.
- he is a mmed FP in the clinic (not the head/deputy), I guess he is the one kena arrow to handle complaints in clinic? (He doesn't look that angry with me, although I don't really know him well to tell). He also didn't really share much details about his conversation with the patient so I am also not sure what exactly was the problem?

I was just wondering what usually happens next? Will such things affect residency progression or performance grading
no scared la.
doesn't matter unless you are clocking up a few complaints a month then the problem is obviously you.
Any ops doctor that doesn't get complains at all isn't doing his /her job to be honest. No way in a customer facing situation job can you ever be perfect.

if they didn't counsel you, don't worry about it especially. Some patient have a pattern of demanding behavior and everything they also complain. I handle complaints and we usually go through all the notes to see what is going on. If every doctor note that this is a difficult patient and you didn't do anything unusual, we just do a cursory call and explain and close the loop. So always important to write down if the patient u encountered is difficult because u will help your colleague. No need write too much. Things such as TLC ( official term by the way) , difficult interaction, challenging tone and attitude all let us know what is going on.
early on in my career when i start i also kenna a lot of complaints because i am the sort that will decline patient requests and have a no nonsenses attitude. You don't owe me just because you pay $13.8 and i have to do everything you ask. Literally diu lei lou mo. After a while u learn how to reply in a effective way and look at me now..handling complaints.

btw , u can report the patient if they demand unreasonable service. It is a form of harassments. In hospital, it is now not usual to serve warning letters to patients or their demanding family members.

don't worry too much la. You will grow up. A few complaints is nothing.
but do reflect a bit. Learn how to read body language and tone. Sometimes if you think things are going south, its ok to apologies and say

" sorry Mr A. I think we got on with the wrong foot. Maybe let us start again so i can best
help you as your doctor"

" Mr A, i can sense that you are not happy with everything so far. Let me know how can i help you"

The moment u do this , u win. If he continue to be nonsensical, just document.
End of the day, in ops we understand the huge pressure on our doctors. Where possible we try to help and protect them. Of cse , cannot 5 complaints a month that kind la. That one is obviously you got a problem.
Old 08-09-2023, 11:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

I think if you only have that ONE complaint and it was easily resolved and not a serious issue or medical negligence or behavior unbecoming of a doctor etc you should be ok.
The senior will understand from talking to the patient if it was just one of those demanding patients who have very heavy needs type. Fact that he said was resolved didn't have to say much is a POSITIVE for you. Loop CLOSED. Good.

But if you have more of these complaints then you will be flagged and it will affect your performance grading.

Always ask patients "any other questions?" before ending the encounter. It can help reduce these "I (sic) didn't address her concerns thoroughly enough" type complaints.

It's a pain lah cos sometimes they will keep asking. For those you already spent like 30 min extra time already and you damn behind liao then don't ask any more questions. Have to move on. But document time spent and all that you discussed so that whoever senior is doing the customer service recovery can see that you really tried and is not like you spent just 5 min with the patient. Just some tips for a greenhorn. Hope it helps. Ignore if you disagree.