Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7
ricardo is on a distinguished road
Default Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment

Hi everyone.

I have a question about big 4. I understand that the pay increment is alot when you get promoted.

1) My question is, what if you are not promoted. Are there still salary increment?

2) If there are salary increment, does it apply to all the following position or only selected position?
- Associate 1 and 2
- Senior Associate 1 and 2
- assistant manager
- manager
- senior manager

Regards.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
Hi everyone.

I have a question about big 4. I understand that the pay increment is alot when you get promoted.

1) My question is, what if you are not promoted. Are there still salary increment?

2) If there are salary increment, does it apply to all the following position or only selected position?
- Associate 1 and 2
- Senior Associate 1 and 2
- assistant manager
- manager
- senior manager

Regards.
Big 4 (Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Ernst & Young, KPMG). Accountant.


No distinction according to Class of Honors known yet.
Y1 associate: $2,700
Y2 associate: $3,100
Y1 Senior associate: $4,000
Y2 Senior associate: $4,500
Assistant Manager: $5,100

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7
ricardo is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Big 4 (Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Ernst & Young, KPMG). Accountant.


No distinction according to Class of Honors known yet.
Y1 associate: $2,700
Y2 associate: $3,100
Y1 Senior associate: $4,000
Y2 Senior associate: $4,500
Assistant Manager: $5,100
Thanks. How about increment? I am more concern about pay increment when there is no promotion.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
Thanks. How about increment? I am more concern about pay increment when there is no promotion.
For the first 5-6 years up to A.Manager level, the promotions are the increment. For 90% of ppl the move from Associate to A.Manager is almost guaranteed as long as you don't kena big screw up. My friend used to work HR in one of the Big4, she say internally they don't even classify these as promotions.

If you fail to get these "fake" promotions at the time when all your peers are getting, then I suggest you just get out while you can. No point asking what is the increment because even if have, you are more or less considered condem case liao.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
For the first 5-6 years up to A.Manager level, the promotions are the increment. For 90% of ppl the move from Associate to A.Manager is almost guaranteed as long as you don't kena big screw up. My friend used to work HR in one of the Big4, she say internally they don't even classify these as promotions.

If you fail to get these "fake" promotions at the time when all your peers are getting, then I suggest you just get out while you can. No point asking what is the increment because even if have, you are more or less considered condem case liao.
Thanks for sharing, that is interesting to know. If somehow one gets to senior manager level (in KPMG for instance) and doesn't get promoted for the next 3-5yrs, does he still have increment ? or his pay is going to be constant at say 8.5k, effectively meaning he is getting pay cut year after year, beaten by inflation ?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for sharing, that is interesting to know. If somehow one gets to senior manager level (in KPMG for instance) and doesn't get promoted for the next 3-5yrs, does he still have increment ? or his pay is going to be constant at say 8.5k, effectively meaning he is getting pay cut year after year, beaten by inflation ?
Once you reach Manager level the promotion will slow down because these will be real promotions. There will be annual increment (assume no recession) but the rate of increase will slow down compared to earlier on because people in their mid 30s are far less mobile to jump ship.

My understanding is most people will diao at Manager or SM level for many years and never reach the junior partner level because beyond that got heavy P&L responsibilities and most people dun have business development skill.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7
ricardo is on a distinguished road
Talking

Thanks to both the question and reply from both of you. No nick for me to refer to. ha.

That more or less sum up my question. So generally.

1) From A1 to AM is usually a norm if no screw up. So promotion = increment. No need to differentiate between promotion and increment

2) From AM onwards, there is still yearly increment but the amount is not as great compared to A1 to AM.

3) To get a substantial increment, need to get promotion from AM onwards.

Once again, thanks for the information.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 13-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Once you reach Manager level the promotion will slow down because these will be real promotions. There will be annual increment (assume no recession) but the rate of increase will slow down compared to earlier on because people in their mid 30s are far less mobile to jump ship.

My understanding is most people will diao at Manager or SM level for many years and never reach the junior partner level because beyond that got heavy P&L responsibilities and most people dun have business development skill.
Typically for a 1st tier accounting firm like KPMG, what's the pay range like when you hit Senior Manager?

I am guessing around 8k-9k ?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 13-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

10K+ would be right.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 13-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

how about the pay for first year manager? how many years does it take typically to reach senior manager?


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yearly increment Button Income and Jobs 29 06-01-2018 09:43 PM
Annual Increment for Civil Service 2011 bswuming87 Income and Jobs 4 10-04-2011 09:19 PM
Annual Increment 1nch3r Income and Jobs 0 12-11-2010 12:36 AM
Can your Increment beat Inflation? Salary.sg Investments and Net Worth 9 24-04-2008 03:37 PM
Salary Increment to be 5.2% Salary.sg Income and Jobs 0 25-09-2007 12:55 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,193 Replies, 348,433 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,662 Replies, 6,637,908 Views
fresh grad seeking a career,but no... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
56 Replies, 24,295 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
445 Replies, 92,368 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,767 Replies, 3,700,399 Views
Sic a lobang for free money
0 Replies, 29 Views
Retirement Amount - SCMP Artcile
4 Replies, 268 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,939 Replies, 1,163,945 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,004 Replies, 467,858 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,209 Replies, 4,069,720 Views
UBS Financial Services Industry... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
180 Replies, 51,145 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
348 Replies, 160,736 Views
Serious advice on career change...
0 Replies, 140 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
208 Replies, 55,980 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,541 Replies, 2,145,028 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
298 Replies, 264,611 Views
Asset Management Salary
9 Replies, 477 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,026 Replies, 1,383,065 Views
Different rank in local banks ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
69 Replies, 134,315 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,668 Replies, 1,510,525 Views
How is HTX Associate Programme...
7 Replies, 1,516 Views
Job Offer Advise ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 886 Views
CPF SA Shielding (do this just...
4 Replies, 1,295 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
182 Replies, 76,690 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
448 Replies, 97,051 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
683 Replies, 197,116 Views
Grab Software Developer Fresh... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 942 Views
Anyone working in NTU... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
102 Replies, 107,787 Views
GIC career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
284 Replies, 399,107 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
296 Replies, 187,810 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2