Career as Teacher - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Career as Teacher

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 274
miwashi is on a distinguished road
Default

Yes, I'm all for the school of thought that feels that passion for teaching and making an impact that can change kids lives overwhelms other things, but in Singapore the powers that be feel otherwise. I think singapore's cultural development would advance very rapidly if they would see beyond this facade and really start recruiting all those with the passion to do this, regardless of what they do in their own personal time.

Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 27-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default I want to be a teacher

Hi, I am from IT banking sector, and only have S$6k after 13 years of work.
I got Masters in IT from NUS and I do not smoke, do not club, do not curse, very clean.
I am a mother and I would like to share my work experience in class.

Anybody know when the next MOE recruitment talk will be?
I look forward to a respected life as a English/Maths teacher.
I know it is hard work, but for the hardwork, I believe I make a difference to
Singapore. Because deep down, I still love my country.

Can I get $4.7 after NIE?

In Banking sector, you only get outsourced for your hardwork. haha.

Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 27-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I look forward to a respected life as a English/Maths teacher.
I know it is hard work, but for the hardwork, I believe I make a difference to
Singapore. Because deep down, I still love my country.
Erm... respected? Good luck dealing with students, parents and old bird teachers who will give you plent of "respect".

Join teaching only if you truly love teaching, do not join with some pie in the sky idea just because you are are sick of entertaining your boss, colleagues or pacifying your customers. It ain't any better on the teaching side.

Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 27-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

can get 6k after 5 years? that is alot...Any teachers to verify




Quote:
Originally Posted by miwashi View Post
That is true.. a lot of my peers same age or younger than me are getting something like 6 k after teaching 5 years. Their pay scale seems above average. They also have this thing called professional development time where they can take some time off every year to go for professional level courses.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 27-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Erm... respected? Good luck dealing with students, parents and old bird teachers who will give you plent of "respect".

Join teaching only if you truly love teaching, do not join with some pie in the sky idea just because you are are sick of entertaining your boss, colleagues or pacifying your customers. It ain't any better on the teaching side.
Then how do I convince others that I want to be a teacher?
Can I just say: "I love teaching, and yes, I know it is the worst jobs in the world but I still love it?" Please advise. I sincerely want to know.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 27-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Then how do I convince others that I want to be a teacher?
Can I just say: "I love teaching, and yes, I know it is the worst jobs in the world but I still love it?" Please advise. I sincerely want to know.
Just go ahead and apply. What I know is they are looking out for people who are thinking of a mid-career switch.
Reply With Quote

  #17 (permalink)  
Old 27-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Sure or not? 6k after 5 years is quite a hefty sum. I thought only military personnel hit that kind of payscale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
can get 6k after 5 years? that is alot...Any teachers to verify
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 28-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Advisor
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sure or not? 6k after 5 years is quite a hefty sum. I thought only military personnel hit that kind of payscale.
I joined teaching as mid career entrant in 2005.That time my pay given was $3548 and a couple of promotions in grade later,in 2010 my pay increased to $6025.Not exactly within 5 years but thereabouts.Anyway,I retired in Dec 2011 having achieved financial freedom from a combination of frugality and hard work plus investments over the years that paid off handsomely.I am currently deriving income from a combination of these investments.But having said that,teaching is perhaps one of the more demanding career in the civil service.Do consider very carefully.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 28-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advisor View Post
I joined teaching as mid career entrant in 2005.That time my pay given was $3548 and a couple of promotions in grade later,in 2010 my pay increased to $6025.Not exactly within 5 years but thereabouts.Anyway,I retired in Dec 2011 having achieved financial freedom from a combination of frugality and hard work plus investments over the years that paid off handsomely.I am currently deriving income from a combination of these investments.But having said that,teaching is perhaps one of the more demanding career in the civil service.Do consider very carefully.
Wow. How old are you now?
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 28-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Advisor
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wow. How old are you now?
Hi,I am already approaching 39 very soon.I am leading a very balanced life right now.Spending time with family and finding the time to exercise.In addition I have time for personal development i.e. Reading widely on whole range of topics that interest me.But I need to emphasize I live a simple lifestyle.HDB and driving 1.5l japanese car.Therefore I don't need a lot of money.The place I am staying is fully paid and my child's education is provided for sufficiently.Having said that I was pretty sharp and decisive with investments taking bit of risks along with them.But I was proven right most of the time That is why I am able to retire from full time fixed salary work before the age of 40.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
school teacher pay dazzlego Income and Jobs 10 30-07-2015 12:39 PM
Career advice for mid-career changer Rhin Income and Jobs 5 21-07-2010 11:21 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Advice on designer job offer
4 Replies, 476 Views
Nickel investment
1 Replies, 37 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,225 Replies, 364,012 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,962 Replies, 1,201,336 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,824 Replies, 623,706 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,158 Replies, 826,308 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,178 Replies, 3,918,804 Views
Breaking the Letter Of Commitment... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 5,147 Views
Freight Forwarding industry --...
1 Replies, 198 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,506 Replies, 1,092,914 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
580 Replies, 285,075 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,020 Replies, 461,337 Views
NUS working environment and pay... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
46 Replies, 29,157 Views
ExxonMobil...
3 Replies, 892 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,324 Replies, 285,994 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,236 Replies, 999,488 Views
Changi Airport Group ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
346 Replies, 227,084 Views
Has anyone heard of KSB Singapore?
0 Replies, 151 Views
Micron fresh grad salary
2 Replies, 1,507 Views
Advice needed (Career change)
5 Replies, 566 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
161 Replies, 129,041 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
180 Replies, 71,899 Views
Signed contract, but pending...
0 Replies, 310 Views
how to handle one offer and...
2 Replies, 440 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
885 Replies, 323,347 Views
Ministry of Transport Queries
2 Replies, 285 Views
Capitaland Graduate Development...
8 Replies, 11,133 Views
Siemens engineering graduate...
2 Replies, 604 Views
Direct Contract vs External...
3 Replies, 322 Views
JP Morgan ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 7,953 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2