Working Culture in IRAS - Page 3 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Working Culture in IRAS

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2015, 01:35 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpire402 View Post
Is this post still active as need some advice?

I will be working as a temp in IRAS this Dec under helpline after being jobless for some time. Firstly, how's the culture over there? Understand that for my role, casual dressing is fine as long as no slippers and shorts.

Secondly, will they be able to offer me a position from temp to perm if I perform well as I applied for a perm position with them via [email protected] but till now status still reflected as submitted. I sincerely am interested in working in a Civil Service or Stats Board environment.

Lastly, I heard that CS or SB prefer local grads or those top uni grads to fill in their positions?? My MBA and BBA are Aussie uni which I took part-time thru private education. Was told by their HR that for my temp job they categorise me under diploma holder.
you have a MBA and working temp? a role which allows casual dressing as long as not shorts and slippers...oh man help people take queue number?

Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2015, 02:39 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Sometimes people do not believe it but IRAS do accept degree holders for frontline roles such as handling phone calls or face to face counters. Whether front/backend, a tax officer do need to know how taxes are computed. Of course, backend officers need to have better knowledge.

E.g1. For income tax: They need to have knowledge of complex computations relating to tax borne by employers, double taxation agreements with other countries and various schemes such as the SRS or Not Ordinarily Resident schemes.

E.g2. For GST: Under the process of GST registration and filing etc. Sounds simple but just look at how thick the GST Act is...

Pay structure wise:

For this year, the salary should be around $3.5k for 2nd upp hon (without NS) regardless of whether you are doing frontline or backend. Might be more because they have just announced a 4% salary adjustment wef July 2015.

So for each class of hon., you can just add or subtract $200.
If you had served NS, add an additional $200.
It shouldnt be too far off. Just don't expect fast progression if you are a non-scholar.

I do know of even 3rd class hons grads joining so those considering need not feel like its only for 1st and 2nd upp class hons. Give it a try if you would like to serve the public.

Cheers.

Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2015, 02:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
you have a MBA and working temp? a role which allows casual dressing as long as not shorts and slippers...oh man help people take queue number?
Why you like that? Why need to show this kind of attitude?

Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2015, 08:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sometimes people do not believe it but IRAS do accept degree holders for frontline roles such as handling phone calls or face to face counters. Whether front/backend, a tax officer do need to know how taxes are computed. Of course, backend officers need to have better knowledge.

E.g1. For income tax: They need to have knowledge of complex computations relating to tax borne by employers, double taxation agreements with other countries and various schemes such as the SRS or Not Ordinarily Resident schemes.

E.g2. For GST: Under the process of GST registration and filing etc. Sounds simple but just look at how thick the GST Act is...

Pay structure wise:

For this year, the salary should be around $3.5k for 2nd upp hon (without NS) regardless of whether you are doing frontline or backend. Might be more because they have just announced a 4% salary adjustment wef July 2015.

So for each class of hon., you can just add or subtract $200.
If you had served NS, add an additional $200.
It shouldnt be too far off. Just don't expect fast progression if you are a non-scholar.

I do know of even 3rd class hons grads joining so those considering need not feel like its only for 1st and 2nd upp class hons. Give it a try if you would like to serve the public.

Cheers.
Wow! Are u working inside? Cause your info is very up to date . I am inside also and I doubt outsiders would know about the 4% increment.

I am a 3rd class hons grad. Like you said, don't expect fast progression hahaha .
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2015, 03:16 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

And that is why people on the IRAS hotline can't give correct answers, cos they hire grads with 3rd class to man the phones. Together with no accountability as everything is "over the phone", the IRAS hotline is often a lottery to see if you get someone who knows their stuff or another joker trying to smoke their way thru their job.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2015, 04:15 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
And that is why people on the IRAS hotline can't give correct answers, cos they hire grads with 3rd class to man the phones. Together with no accountability as everything is "over the phone", the IRAS hotline is often a lottery to see if you get someone who knows their stuff or another joker trying to smoke their way thru their job.
This is insulting. You don't need to be a grad to answer the phone. The IRAS hotline is manned by call centre staff just like most companies. Please me some companies that hire only 2nd lower and above grads just to man helplines.

More often than not the people manning the helplines are diploma grads since nobody wants to study for a degree just to man helplines. The turnover is high too. No offense to any poly grads.
Reply With Quote

  #27 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2015, 05:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is insulting. You don't need to be a grad to answer the phone. The IRAS hotline is manned by call centre staff just like most companies. Please me some companies that hire only 2nd lower and above grads just to man helplines.

More often than not the people manning the helplines are diploma grads since nobody wants to study for a degree just to man helplines. The turnover is high too. No offense to any poly grads.
Anybody in the industry worth their salt will know IRAS hotline is often useless as the person on the other side is often clueless/wrong when it comes to complex queries.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2015, 05:24 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Anybody in the industry worth their salt will know IRAS hotline is often useless as the person on the other side is often clueless/wrong when it comes to complex queries.
Anybody in the industry worth their salt would have contacts with the officers in the department directly who are the ones actually performing the operation/technical work.

The helpline is just a general helpline for generic stuff.

Considering your experience, quite obvious what your status is.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 06-06-2015, 12:49 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Anybody in the industry worth their salt would have contacts with the officers in the department directly who are the ones actually performing the operation/technical work.

The helpline is just a general helpline for generic stuff.

Considering your experience, quite obvious what your status is.
Of course, forgot you're the top manager who is still calling in to IRAS to get your work done instead of reviewing work done by your subordinates.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 06-06-2015, 01:10 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

So much mud slinging, so many bruised egos.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
audit, banks, bonus, iras

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Working culture in US MNC Karlena Income and Jobs 10 14-07-2010 11:22 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,037 Replies, 451,583 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2019 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
118 Replies, 55,207 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
210 Replies, 28,062 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,638 Replies, 454,413 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
819 Replies, 750,659 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,789 Replies, 1,938,835 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
744 Replies, 483,176 Views
career at astar pays so low? ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 31,930 Views
Life as a ICA Senior Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
96 Replies, 109,629 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,870 Replies, 1,279,151 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
102 Replies, 35,119 Views
UBS Graduate Talent Program ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 18,249 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
98 Replies, 79,751 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,215 Replies, 962,286 Views
Reference Checks: Does SG HR... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
57 Replies, 62,471 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,779 Replies, 1,649,957 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
73 Replies, 64,126 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,724 Replies, 775,686 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
194 Replies, 183,600 Views
Bunker trader ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
44 Replies, 18,982 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,777 Replies, 4,965,714 Views
Singapore CPF Calculator
4 Replies, 1,987 Views
MCI and IMDA ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 2,866 Views
Parc Canberra EC
0 Replies, 126 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
773 Replies, 393,744 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,367 Replies, 517,721 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
313 Replies, 241,866 Views
Thinking of doing an IT... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
34 Replies, 33,964 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2