Compare civil service salary - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Compare civil service salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 8
starrxu is on a distinguished road
Default Compare civil service salary

I am 32, with 8 years of working experience, joined a stat board at $4300. HR refused to give me higher for the reason that this is the average among my peers considering my age, experiences etc.

I would ike to compare with my peers in the civil service. Any civil servant care to share more?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

My background:
2nd upper Science Graduate (NUS). Class of 2007. Civil Servant.
Earning $4.4k gross monthly. I'm not a scholar btw. I will be age 28 by year end 2010.


$4.4k is my gross monthly salary (doesnt include the bonuses).
Starting pay was $3.3k in 2007
Went up to $3.6k in 2008
Then to $3.8k in 2009
Then to $4.4k in 2010

By default, you get an annual increase in pay (called merit increment;dependent whether u perform well at work) and on top of that a promotional increment (if you get promoted to a higher job-grade)

Hope this will give you a guage of your salary.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My background:
2nd upper Science Graduate (NUS). Class of 2007. Civil Servant.
Earning $4.4k gross monthly. I'm not a scholar btw. I will be age 28 by year end 2010.


$4.4k is my gross monthly salary (doesnt include the bonuses).
Starting pay was $3.3k in 2007
Went up to $3.6k in 2008
Then to $3.8k in 2009
Then to $4.4k in 2010

By default, you get an annual increase in pay (called merit increment;dependent whether u perform well at work) and on top of that a promotional increment (if you get promoted to a higher job-grade)

Hope this will give you a guage of your salary.
Wow...you must be a high flyer to have such good starting pay and to have such high pay increments as well including a whopping nearly 16% increment from 2009 to 2010. Even the 2009 recession did not affect your pay. I contragulate you on your success!

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

2nd Upper Econs Grad (UK uni) Non-scholar, 30 yrs old. Civil Servant

Drawing $5.3k gross monthly salary (doesn't include bonuses)
Starting pay was $2.9k in early 2007.


SG BusLeh mobile app
SG BusLeh - the best bus app - available on iPhone and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 8
starrxu is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
2nd Upper Econs Grad (UK uni) Non-scholar, 30 yrs old. Civil Servant

Drawing $5.3k gross monthly salary (doesn't include bonuses)
Starting pay was $2.9k in early 2007.

In comparison, your increment is much faster than the 28 yr-old-guy who started with $3.3k in 2007. But I guess he will most likely draw $5.3k when he reaches 30 yr-old based on 10% annual increment.

Now, i felt so cheated by HR. They are just using those reasons as excuses for bargaining. Some more, if I am not wrong, there isn't any salary downward adjustment in 2007-2009. HR just wanna take advantage of economy downturn to cut new ppl's salary.

I was earning $5.3k + $500 transport allowance in my previous job in private sector and I would think that this is slightly above "average" among my peers that time.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrxu View Post
In comparison, your increment is much faster than the 28 yr-old-guy who started with $3.3k in 2007. But I guess he will most likely draw $5.3k when he reaches 30 yr-old based on 10% annual increment.

Now, i felt so cheated by HR. They are just using those reasons as excuses for bargaining. Some more, if I am not wrong, there isn't any salary downward adjustment in 2007-2009. HR just wanna take advantage of economy downturn to cut new ppl's salary.

I was earning $5.3k + $500 transport allowance in my previous job in private sector and I would think that this is slightly above "average" among my peers that time.
It would depend on the scheme of service. There are those amongst us who are on professional schemes such as legal scheme, economist scheme, etc, as opposed to the more generic management executive scheme. The folks on the prof schemes are generally paid more, sometimes substantially more . I happen to be on one of the professional schemes.

Stat boards have the discretion to set their salaries differently from the Civil service i.e. Ministries. Thus, your HR may not have been wrong to say that that is indeed the average within your organisation.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Wow, Civil Service really pays so well huh. I'm a grad in the pte sector and my pay is peanuts compared to u guys. 30yr old with 5yrs working experience some more. Over 5 yrs my salary only grew from $1.9k to $2.8k.

Is it easy to enter Civil Service? I've applied several times before but failed to even get called up for interview. And their employment application forms seems to want to know everything about you, even how well you did for PSLE (-_-)"'
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 8
starrxu is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wow, Civil Service really pays so well huh. I'm a grad in the pte sector and my pay is peanuts compared to u guys. 30yr old with 5yrs working experience some more. Over 5 yrs my salary only grew from $1.9k to $2.8k.

Is it easy to enter Civil Service? I've applied several times before but failed to even get called up for interview. And their employment application forms seems to want to know everything about you, even how well you did for PSLE (-_-)"'
Not difficult... a matter of interview skills, background and luck. There are plenty of positions => [email protected]. You just have to try even harder and jackpot will hit you sooner. I was already in once before and now my 2nd.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2010, 12:23 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrxu View Post
Not difficult... a matter of interview skills, background and luck. There are plenty of positions => [email protected]. You just have to try even harder and jackpot will hit you sooner. I was already in once before and now my 2nd.
I wouldn't be so quick to state that its relatively simple to get a job in the civil service. Some of the more sought after positions, i.e. economist scheme (economist with MTI), intelligence service (ISD), legal service (MinLaw), foreign service (MFA) have very stringent recruitment criteria and pay handsomely.

-A fresh grad (gd honours, with NS) entering the intelligence service would likely draw a starting pay close to 4.5k, give and take 1k, if not mistaken.
-An economist (masters degree, with NS) would likely be drawing anything from 4.5k- 5k or possibly even more.

And don't even start on the elite Admin Service and their feeder MA scheme....
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 13-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Was deciding to join the marine industry on civil service.. seems like civil services is a better choice after all.

Marine industry offer 2400 to 2600..

Civil service starting pay is about 3100-3700 already...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
civil servants, civil service, government, law, lawyer, mx scale, public sector, scholar, scholarship, superscale

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civil Service Pay - Director level curious Income and Jobs 140 06-07-2017 02:14 PM
Civil Service Bonus 2007 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 9 18-03-2010 12:42 PM
High Earners In Civil Service Salary.sg Income and Jobs 29 28-04-2009 10:29 AM
HK civil service salary hike Salary.sg Income and Jobs 5 21-11-2008 10:57 PM
Civil Service Bonus mid-2008 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 6 15-07-2008 01:40 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
15% pay cut from private sector to... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,433 Replies, 713,007 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,344 Replies, 1,025,975 Views
Need cash for tough times?
0 Replies, 60 Views
SAS BIA Program
0 Replies, 59 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,219 Replies, 349,791 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
855 Replies, 311,053 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,317 Replies, 273,642 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,204 Replies, 981,646 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
998 Replies, 441,113 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,929 Replies, 1,168,395 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
463 Replies, 195,248 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
571 Replies, 276,854 Views
Changi Airport Group ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
337 Replies, 217,842 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,753 Replies, 597,233 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
301 Replies, 512,349 Views
Enquiries about NEA scientific...
0 Replies, 178 Views
Performance Improvement Plan - New... ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 7,195 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3)
27 Replies, 3,316 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,103 Replies, 795,490 Views
Top paying companies in SG for... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
54 Replies, 34,189 Views
Senior police officer in SPF...... ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 51,984 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,102 Replies, 3,839,927 Views
Exxon salary question
2 Replies, 778 Views
Fresh Grad looking to enter...
1 Replies, 1,259 Views
Startup or Bank?
3 Replies, 421 Views
Salary in India vs Singapore. ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 1,130 Views
Shipping industry (low basic +...
5 Replies, 860 Views
Siemens engineering graduate...
0 Replies, 282 Views
Commercial Affairs Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
50 Replies, 29,443 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 03:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2