ST Electronics - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Companies

Companies Discuss companies and organisations.

ST Electronics

Old 19-10-2013, 04:23 PM

Shane is on a distinguished road

Hi, does anyone know how long would it take for ST Electronics HR to respond after I send a resume? Any information would be gladly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 23-10-2013, 06:15 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbird View Post
Once worked for them long time ago as a fresh grad, then left after several months. Have since worked on 2 other jobs for several years with other companies.

Recently applied for an opening and received a call from its HR. But only offering a contract position, with possible conversion option in future, not perm position. Reason given by HR was that I am considered a returning ex-employee, and HR policy forbids granting immediate perm position for an ex-employee, even with suitable industry experience.

Wondering if the so-called HR policy for returning ex-staff is real or is the HR trying to bluff me when it can't offer me a better deal. Anyone knows if such a thing exists in HR or just a bluff?

I feel that I should be hired based on my merits and suitability for current position. If I'm suitable for the position that HR is willing to call me up for interview, yet still want to penalize me for having worked for them before? Really sending mixed signals about wanting to hire me.
ST Elec has a policy to employ new staff (not only ex) on contract as exit policy for 2 scenario, if you are no good and there is no other jobs. This is a good HR practise (at least from the company point of view) as it gives them the easier and nicer way out other than sacking (which VERY seldom happens).
I have known of a very good engineer who was not renew due to lack of project, even though his peers highly recommended him. So now the decision is up to you.

Old 23-10-2013, 08:47 AM
Unregistered

good horse never eat back head grass

Old 25-01-2016, 03:39 PM
Unregistered

Default ST Electronics (Training & Simulation Systems)

Has anyone worked at ST Electronics (Training & Simulation Systems) as software engineer before?

Being proficient in C++ programming seems to be important there. How much C++ and mathematics do I need to know to do my job there?

I have business IT degree background, enough to do web applications but not much knowledge in physics or maths.
Old 25-01-2016, 03:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Has anyone worked at ST Electronics (Training & Simulation Systems) as software engineer before?

Being proficient in C++ programming seems to be important there. How much C++ and mathematics do I need to know to do my job there?

I have business IT degree background, enough to do web applications but not much knowledge in physics or maths.
I just left this company. pretty honest is a full of **** place. all these requirements are just on surface for show. when you are there you will know alot of ppl actually cannot make it or do not have relevant academic qualifications. it is a company that cares about quanity (money) than quality (product/ workmanship). the management know nuts.
Old 25-01-2016, 04:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I just left this company. pretty honest is a full of **** place. all these requirements are just on surface for show. when you are there you will know alot of ppl actually cannot make it or do not have relevant academic qualifications. it is a company that cares about quanity (money) than quality (product/ workmanship). the management know nuts.
Seriously?

I always see it advertising openings whole year round.

Is it difficult to cope with the work there (complex mathematics and codes as expected in simulation engines)?

How was your work life balance? Overtime a lot or burn weekend?

If you don't mind sharing details of how's life is there inside.

Old 25-01-2016, 04:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Seriously?

I always see it advertising openings whole year round.

Is it difficult to cope with the work there (complex mathematics and codes as expected in simulation engines)?

How was your work life balance? Overtime a lot or burn weekend?

If you don't mind sharing details of how's life is there inside.
basically, the whole company (regardless which dept) is really a waste of time. the reason why it is advertising all year round because of its high turn over rate. to be honest with you, im not really from that dept, im from another dept but we do internal dealings for projects. the degrees are leaving in batches, people just keep leaving because of its low pay, low progession, low increment and unprofessionalism. it is not really hectic kind of job and people mostly leave on time. what i can advise you is that since you have some knowledge in programming, i would rather you go gain your exposure in companies like apple, fb, google, yahoo or other applications company (be it a sme or what). you wont gain much useful experience here and because this company have 70% ppl who just sit and take pay those, you wont be able to move up. it is hard to even work in a team because there is a lot of mismatch in the engineers over there. to be honest, alot are just technicians kind of level but given position like engineers and senior engineers so i can assure you that you wont be able to get much help over there. it is a GLC company that by right can be a very good and professional company due to having the assets but too bad, they had set their hiring policy wrong.
Old 25-01-2016, 04:34 PM
Unregistered

I think some of the commentators are being overly harsh on STE. Sure, they are pretty backward in culture and more into doing voluminous SOP work on time than really coming up with high quality and innovative solutions.

But then in reality the fact that someone needs to apply for a job in STE also means they didn't make the cut for the good jobs in SAP, google, IBM etc. Ideally we all want a good job in a good company, but sometimes reality is that we are just average and cannot make the cut to the top places.

STE offers decent salary, bonus and job security. It really isn't that bad compared to a lot of third party outsourcing outfits. Even another key competitor GLC NCS is much worse from all accounts.
Old 25-01-2016, 04:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I think some of the commentators are being overly harsh on STE. Sure, they are pretty backward in culture and more into doing voluminous SOP work on time than really coming up with high quality and innovative solutions.

But then in reality the fact that someone needs to apply for a job in STE also means they didn't make the cut for the good jobs in SAP, google, IBM etc. Ideally we all want a good job in a good company, but sometimes reality is that we are just average and cannot make the cut to the top places.

STE offers decent salary, bonus and job security. It really isn't that bad compared to a lot of third party outsourcing outfits. Even another key competitor GLC NCS is much worse from all accounts.
NCS is worse? In term of working hours, compensation and career progression?

I heard local system integrators like STE and NCS are all sweatshops working crazy hours and weekends.
Old 25-01-2016, 04:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Yes it might sound oversly harsh, if you have see how they work and the quality they delivered for govt, to be honest if it is not a GLC, it would have been backslash long ago. It is so comfort that people dont bother to do upgrade and rather just slack there because they will get promoted eventually. technology and engineering is not like how it was last time, you cannot keep putting innovation away. even a small setup company doing applications is much more of a beneficial exposure. and Yes, they offers decent salary, bonus and job security because they simply exist to minimise the unemployment rate. if people just want a good time and slacking retirement, they can go there. but looking at how the world progress, i can assure that this culture wont last long.