Ex-MOE Teachers - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Ex-MOE Teachers

Old 30-04-2014, 04:48 PM
Unregistered

Ex-teacher, left 10 years go, after 4 years of teaching, post PGDE.

Stumbled into marketing - worked my way up from the bottom to do decently.

Be prepared for a pay cut, and be prepared to learn new things. The rest will be up to you - your attitude, abilities and adaptability.

I left just before I turned 30. Thought it was late, but imagine if I'd left it to later. (I've seen teachers who left later and could not adapt to life outside of a school.)

I also wonder what would have happened if I had listened to all the well meaning folk who tried to persuade me to stay.

No regrets at all.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:41 PM

redvelvetcake is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Be prepared for a pay cut, and be prepared to learn new things. The rest will be up to you - your attitude, abilities and adaptability.

I left just before I turned 30. Thought it was late, but imagine if I'd left it to later. (I've seen teachers who left later and could not adapt to life outside of a school.)

I also wonder what would have happened if I had listened to all the well meaning folk who tried to persuade me to stay.

No regrets at all.

Thank you for sharing! Glad that you are doing good now! I agree that the longer we stayed in schools, it will be quite challenging to adapt to the life outside school. I am currently exploring positions in Marketing and Branding, is not easy as employers are looking for candidates with relevant experience.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:43 PM

redvelvetcake is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi,

I resigned back in 2011. Have worked for them for 6 years after the 1 year stint in NIE and half a year of contract teaching. Given up 8 years of my life for them. I was given both leadership roles (oh, wow, Zzzzz...) and mentorship roles (probably what I enjoy much more) and have the fullest support from my HOD to my P. When I left, I have my HOD, 2 or my VPs and my Ps talking to me and persuading me to stay. Hope this is a good indication that I'm not those teachers who are not doing well and has been wanting or ask to leave.

Here is my opinion...

Unless you are a scholar, ex-student of the school or you don't intend to have a family, you will probably not going to go far in MOE. They can promise you tons of leadership roles, but ultimately, unless you TRULY believe in what you are doing benefit students and the community and not that you are just wayang-ing, you should probably get out if you want to have more career advancement, earn more, have more work-life balance and be equally contented in your career.

I came out and have been teaching at a tuition centre. Focus is different, have different types of stress but equally happy (if not, happier).

I earn 50-70% more annually, even much more with the connect plan that you have to slog for years to get it. I have almost double the free time with my family and myself. I got myself a real estate licence which I am doing as part-time. I earned an additional few thousandS per month and I get to know more people, talk about stuff other than lesson plans, students' performance, and how to coordinate and run events which I add in my yearly work review. In summary, networking in a real sense that add worth to myself.

Do I miss teaching in MOE? Maybe. It's something that I haven't look back as yet.

We shared similar experience in school imo (:

Very insightful, thanks for sharing this!

Old 24-04-2015, 04:57 PM
Unregistered

Default Ex Teacher who quit 7 years ago

Good things out of MOE are

1) No need to suck cok
2) Don have to face fcuking evil people.
3) You have peace of mind and don get tulan every day
4) You wont get mental problem
5) You do not attend God damn fcuking meetings to make yourselves a clown and to lick the chee bye of the school management

Bad things are
1) No one other than civil service pays 16 month salary to suck cok

I am an engineer making 7k a month after 7 years, proving my capabilities outside, earning even cent for every honest labor I contribute.

A lot MOE teachers as well as civil service can expect to go dancing with Satan in hell.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 24-04-2015, 10:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

1) No need to suck cok
5) You do not attend God damn fcuking meetings to make yourselves a clown and to lick the chee bye of the school management

Bad things are

I am an engineer making 7k a month after 7 years, proving my capabilities outside, earning even cent for every honest labor I contribute.

A lot MOE teachers as well as civil service can expect to go dancing with Satan in hell.
I think your points 1 to 5 are valid for any job, even in private sector. In private co, there is also upper management you have to suck and lick if you want to make a career there.

Then there are also a lot of pointless meetings, and evil and stupid people around.

Unless you are self-employed and being a consultant... I think whether you prove your capabilities or not, in private sector also, it is no guarantee that you will be recognised.
Old 25-04-2015, 12:34 AM
Unregistered

I was a teacher for 5.5 years, resigned in 2013 and went to another ministry to do training and development. Now i am going to another ministry to do investigation works, starting on mon. My degree is from SIM(unisim). I believe as a local grad u shld have no prob looking for marketing positions in another ministries but try to tailor ur resume such that it highlights ur strengths in this area.

The job hunting may take a while as teachers find it harder to transit but its not impossible, try to look for internal referrals from friends. All the best, i hope you find what you want.

Old 26-04-2015, 02:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

No regrets at all.
You missed out the most important part - how did you "stumble" into marketing?

I think this is what most people in the situation would like to know.
Old 27-04-2015, 05:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I think your points 1 to 5 are valid for any job, even in private sector. In private co, there is also upper management you have to suck and lick if you want to make a career there.

Then there are also a lot of pointless meetings, and evil and stupid people around.

Unless you are self-employed and being a consultant... I think whether you prove your capabilities or not, in private sector also, it is no guarantee that you will be recognised.
Quote:

1) No need to suck cok

Bad things are

Quote:
You missed out the most important part - how did you "stumble" into marketing?

I think this is what most people in the situation would like to know.
I was 4 years in engineering, 3 years in teacher, 7 years back to engineering. Re-started off as engineer in 2008, basic salary 3100 + allowance, annual income 5.2k.

Now annual income around 9.5k.

This is a pathetic salary compared to the leaches of MOE. The MOE folks get 16 months salary with PB, on top of their God Damn "Connect plan" ($$$$).

4 months out of job staying at home after leaving MOE. People keep asking me why I quit teaching in interviews.

I move up the ranks among engineers by demonstrating my exceptional talent in solving complicated problems.

I have peace of mind because I do not have to work with hell lot of idiots in MOE who is only good in speaking with their asxhole.
Old 27-04-2015, 05:54 PM
Unregistered

<<<Error in last message>>>

The right one is my current annual income around 95k.
Old 27-04-2015, 07:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I was 4 years in engineering, 3 years in teacher, 7 years back to engineering. Re-started off as engineer in 2008, basic salary 3100 + allowance, annual income 5.2k.

Now annual income around 9.5k.

This is a pathetic salary compared to the leaches of MOE. The MOE folks get 16 months salary with PB, on top of their God Damn "Connect plan" ($$$$).

4 months out of job staying at home after leaving MOE. People keep asking me why I quit teaching in interviews.

I move up the ranks among engineers by demonstrating my exceptional talent in solving complicated problems.

I have peace of mind because I do not have to work with hell lot of idiots in MOE who is only good in speaking with their asxhole.
Public School Teacher in Singapore are the best paid in the world with their qualifications just like our Politicians in country.