Ex-MOE Teachers - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Ex-MOE Teachers

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 30-04-2014, 04:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Ex-teacher, left 10 years go, after 4 years of teaching, post PGDE.

Stumbled into marketing - worked my way up from the bottom to do decently.

Be prepared for a pay cut, and be prepared to learn new things. The rest will be up to you - your attitude, abilities and adaptability.

I left just before I turned 30. Thought it was late, but imagine if I'd left it to later. (I've seen teachers who left later and could not adapt to life outside of a school.)

I also wonder what would have happened if I had listened to all the well meaning folk who tried to persuade me to stay.

No regrets at all.

Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2014, 10:41 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 7
redvelvetcake is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Ex-teacher, left 10 years go, after 4 years of teaching, post PGDE.

Stumbled into marketing - worked my way up from the bottom to do decently.

Be prepared for a pay cut, and be prepared to learn new things. The rest will be up to you - your attitude, abilities and adaptability.

I left just before I turned 30. Thought it was late, but imagine if I'd left it to later. (I've seen teachers who left later and could not adapt to life outside of a school.)

I also wonder what would have happened if I had listened to all the well meaning folk who tried to persuade me to stay.

No regrets at all.

Thank you for sharing! Glad that you are doing good now! I agree that the longer we stayed in schools, it will be quite challenging to adapt to the life outside school. I am currently exploring positions in Marketing and Branding, is not easy as employers are looking for candidates with relevant experience.

Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2014, 10:43 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 7
redvelvetcake is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi,

I resigned back in 2011. Have worked for them for 6 years after the 1 year stint in NIE and half a year of contract teaching. Given up 8 years of my life for them. I was given both leadership roles (oh, wow, Zzzzz...) and mentorship roles (probably what I enjoy much more) and have the fullest support from my HOD to my P. When I left, I have my HOD, 2 or my VPs and my Ps talking to me and persuading me to stay. Hope this is a good indication that I'm not those teachers who are not doing well and has been wanting or ask to leave.

Here is my opinion...

Unless you are a scholar, ex-student of the school or you don't intend to have a family, you will probably not going to go far in MOE. They can promise you tons of leadership roles, but ultimately, unless you TRULY believe in what you are doing benefit students and the community and not that you are just wayang-ing, you should probably get out if you want to have more career advancement, earn more, have more work-life balance and be equally contented in your career.

I came out and have been teaching at a tuition centre. Focus is different, have different types of stress but equally happy (if not, happier).

I earn 50-70% more annually, even much more with the connect plan that you have to slog for years to get it. I have almost double the free time with my family and myself. I got myself a real estate licence which I am doing as part-time. I earned an additional few thousandS per month and I get to know more people, talk about stuff other than lesson plans, students' performance, and how to coordinate and run events which I add in my yearly work review. In summary, networking in a real sense that add worth to myself.

Do I miss teaching in MOE? Maybe. It's something that I haven't look back as yet.

We shared similar experience in school imo (:

Very insightful, thanks for sharing this!

Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2015, 04:57 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ex Teacher who quit 7 years ago

Good things out of MOE are

1) No need to suck cok
2) Don have to face fcuking evil people.
3) You have peace of mind and don get tulan every day
4) You wont get mental problem
5) You do not attend God damn fcuking meetings to make yourselves a clown and to lick the chee bye of the school management

Bad things are
1) No one other than civil service pays 16 month salary to suck cok

I am an engineer making 7k a month after 7 years, proving my capabilities outside, earning even cent for every honest labor I contribute.

A lot MOE teachers as well as civil service can expect to go dancing with Satan in hell.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2015, 10:28 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Good things out of MOE are

1) No need to suck cok
2) Don have to face fcuking evil people.
3) You have peace of mind and don get tulan every day
4) You wont get mental problem
5) You do not attend God damn fcuking meetings to make yourselves a clown and to lick the chee bye of the school management

Bad things are
1) No one other than civil service pays 16 month salary to suck cok

I am an engineer making 7k a month after 7 years, proving my capabilities outside, earning even cent for every honest labor I contribute.

A lot MOE teachers as well as civil service can expect to go dancing with Satan in hell.
I think your points 1 to 5 are valid for any job, even in private sector. In private co, there is also upper management you have to suck and lick if you want to make a career there.

Then there are also a lot of pointless meetings, and evil and stupid people around.

Unless you are self-employed and being a consultant... I think whether you prove your capabilities or not, in private sector also, it is no guarantee that you will be recognised.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 25-04-2015, 12:34 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I was a teacher for 5.5 years, resigned in 2013 and went to another ministry to do training and development. Now i am going to another ministry to do investigation works, starting on mon. My degree is from SIM(unisim). I believe as a local grad u shld have no prob looking for marketing positions in another ministries but try to tailor ur resume such that it highlights ur strengths in this area.

The job hunting may take a while as teachers find it harder to transit but its not impossible, try to look for internal referrals from friends. All the best, i hope you find what you want.
Reply With Quote

  #17 (permalink)  
Old 26-04-2015, 02:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Ex-teacher, left 10 years go, after 4 years of teaching, post PGDE.

Stumbled into marketing - worked my way up from the bottom to do decently.

Be prepared for a pay cut, and be prepared to learn new things. The rest will be up to you - your attitude, abilities and adaptability.

I left just before I turned 30. Thought it was late, but imagine if I'd left it to later. (I've seen teachers who left later and could not adapt to life outside of a school.)

I also wonder what would have happened if I had listened to all the well meaning folk who tried to persuade me to stay.

No regrets at all.
You missed out the most important part - how did you "stumble" into marketing?

I think this is what most people in the situation would like to know.


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iPhone


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 27-04-2015, 05:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think your points 1 to 5 are valid for any job, even in private sector. In private co, there is also upper management you have to suck and lick if you want to make a career there.

Then there are also a lot of pointless meetings, and evil and stupid people around.

Unless you are self-employed and being a consultant... I think whether you prove your capabilities or not, in private sector also, it is no guarantee that you will be recognised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Good things out of MOE are

1) No need to suck cok
2) Don have to face fcuking evil people.
3) You have peace of mind and don get tulan every day
4) You wont get mental problem
5) You do not attend God damn fcuking meetings to make yourselves a clown and to lick the chee bye of the school management

Bad things are
1) No one other than civil service pays 16 month salary to suck cok

I am an engineer making 7k a month after 7 years, proving my capabilities outside, earning even cent for every honest labor I contribute.

A lot MOE teachers as well as civil service can expect to go dancing with Satan in hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You missed out the most important part - how did you "stumble" into marketing?

I think this is what most people in the situation would like to know.
I was 4 years in engineering, 3 years in teacher, 7 years back to engineering. Re-started off as engineer in 2008, basic salary 3100 + allowance, annual income 5.2k.

Now annual income around 9.5k.

This is a pathetic salary compared to the leaches of MOE. The MOE folks get 16 months salary with PB, on top of their God Damn "Connect plan" ($$$$).

4 months out of job staying at home after leaving MOE. People keep asking me why I quit teaching in interviews.

I move up the ranks among engineers by demonstrating my exceptional talent in solving complicated problems.

I have peace of mind because I do not have to work with hell lot of idiots in MOE who is only good in speaking with their asxhole.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 27-04-2015, 05:54 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

<<<Error in last message>>>

The right one is my current annual income around 95k.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 27-04-2015, 07:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I was 4 years in engineering, 3 years in teacher, 7 years back to engineering. Re-started off as engineer in 2008, basic salary 3100 + allowance, annual income 5.2k.

Now annual income around 9.5k.

This is a pathetic salary compared to the leaches of MOE. The MOE folks get 16 months salary with PB, on top of their God Damn "Connect plan" ($$$$).

4 months out of job staying at home after leaving MOE. People keep asking me why I quit teaching in interviews.

I move up the ranks among engineers by demonstrating my exceptional talent in solving complicated problems.

I have peace of mind because I do not have to work with hell lot of idiots in MOE who is only good in speaking with their asxhole.
Public School Teacher in Singapore are the best paid in the world with their qualifications just like our Politicians in country.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for NIE trained Teachers for Tutoring gradtutors Marketplace and Find Work 0 15-08-2011 09:28 AM
More Pay and Bonuses for Teachers Salary.sg Income and Jobs 7 05-12-2009 06:45 PM
Part time Primary and Lower Secondary Teachers chongkp Marketplace and Find Work 0 22-06-2009 12:56 PM
Higher Pay for Mid-Career Teachers Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 03-01-2009 10:27 AM
Tuition Teachers Make 20k Salary.sg Income and Jobs 6 28-10-2008 12:00 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
391 Replies, 251,540 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,642 Replies, 2,619,910 Views
Mortgage Specialist Role.
2 Replies, 1,451 Views
Anyone being hired during covid... ( 1 2 3)
26 Replies, 2,103 Views
Possible to earn passive income... ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 4,294 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,296 Replies, 909,675 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
165 Replies, 77,385 Views
Anyone work for Casino (RWS/MBS) ?... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 8,769 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,794 Replies, 273,889 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,196 Replies, 973,133 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,066 Replies, 1,287,059 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,671 Replies, 1,610,411 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,119 Replies, 5,592,034 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
690 Replies, 212,537 Views
What's the graduate officer... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
56 Replies, 13,441 Views
Tax ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 3,673 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2019 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,635 Replies, 784,699 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
396 Replies, 288,331 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
104 Replies, 14,581 Views
Submitting My Resume To ST... ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 22,521 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
462 Replies, 88,375 Views
Sign On After 30? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
34 Replies, 3,099 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,091 Replies, 500,963 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,298 Replies, 1,910,573 Views
Ceca
2 Replies, 290 Views
Changi Airport Group ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
378 Replies, 335,202 Views
Feeling helpless, need advice... ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 993 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,916 Replies, 1,086,835 Views
Anyone working in NTU... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
91 Replies, 93,096 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,380 Replies, 565,490 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2