Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Ex-MOE Teachers

Old 29-08-2015, 01:27 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
They are also the most nut head piece of shitt in this world, having the highest rate of mental illness, checking in and out of IMH, according to an ST report, that mysteriously disappear online.

As an MOE alumni currently top engineer in my domain, I can verify 100% our MOE teachers are crazy.

Good luck to you guys entrusting your kids to them.

Your kids will become sociapathatic snake, manipulative liar or bitch after decades in MOE institution.

I want to stress one more thing. If you want to find liars, look no further than the HODs, VPs and Ps in Singapore school. 99% out of 100% of those I met are someone who bring debasement and wretchedness to a whole new level.
top engineer in your domain but fail to understand basic causal relationship?

Old 09-02-2016, 08:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi,

I resigned back in 2011. Have worked for them for 6 years after the 1 year stint in NIE and half a year of contract teaching. Given up 8 years of my life for them. I was given both leadership roles (oh, wow, Zzzzz...) and mentorship roles (probably what I enjoy much more) and have the fullest support from my HOD to my P. When I left, I have my HOD, 2 or my VPs and my Ps talking to me and persuading me to stay. Hope this is a good indication that I'm not those teachers who are not doing well and has been wanting or ask to leave.

Here is my opinion...

Unless you are a scholar, ex-student of the school or you don't intend to have a family, you will probably not going to go far in MOE. They can promise you tons of leadership roles, but ultimately, unless you TRULY believe in what you are doing benefit students and the community and not that you are just wayang-ing, you should probably get out if you want to have more career advancement, earn more, have more work-life balance and be equally contented in your career.

I came out and have been teaching at a tuition centre. Focus is different, have different types of stress but equally happy (if not, happier).

I earn 50-70% more annually, even much more with the connect plan that you have to slog for years to get it. I have almost double the free time with my family and myself. I got myself a real estate licence which I am doing as part-time. I earned an additional few thousandS per month and I get to know more people, talk about stuff other than lesson plans, students' performance, and how to coordinate and run events which I add in my yearly work review. In summary, networking in a real sense that add worth to myself.

Do I miss teaching in MOE? Maybe. It's something that I haven't look back as yet.
This post is pretty relevant to me now. But how was the decision to leave with the high pay, around 5k now / in my late 20s and wondering if doing tutorship on my own is really worth all the effort and hard work. No cpf no medical no MC no holidays nor vacation leaves & no network at all. Tough decision for me. Did you manage to make use of your real estate licence ? I mean that will be a good source of income for me. Another issue is location for tuition, my place isn't the most convenient environment for tuition (with pet dogs, you see). So mostly I might need to go to students' place and will likely take time in travelling. (No car yet) your views?

Old 26-05-2016, 12:33 AM
Unregistered

I was an MOE teacher and I quitted in 2014.

Kinda regretted my decision as I was not very good in doing a lot of things.

Now that I am outside, I teach tuition full time at a centre and earn about 3k a month, sometimes 4k if I include some other private students I teach. The work is not as hectic as school life but there's other challenges to do.

Old 26-05-2016, 01:24 PM
Unregistered

One thing in MOE, alot contract and part timer!
Old 14-08-2016, 09:27 PM
Tuition centre

Default Please join my tuition family

Dear ex teachers,

I hope you are able to take 5 mins off your busy schedule and contact me via email.
Many ex tutors are giving private tuition at the child's place but the rate you charge is restricted to market rate thus thee is a low income cap per say.

A tuition centre needs positive revenue to survive but we strongly believe that tutors needs also have to be met. I believe we can come to an agreement that benefit both sides so please contact me to discuss further.

Perhaps the following content in your email to start with :
1. Ex moe / ex teacher?
2. Subject(s) you excel in and have the motivation to coach students on
3. Your needs and concern

Please email to [email protected]

Looking forward to a partnership
Old 21-09-2016, 08:46 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
This post is pretty relevant to me now. But how was the decision to leave with the high pay, around 5k now / in my late 20s and wondering if doing tutorship on my own is really worth all the effort and hard work. No cpf no medical no MC no holidays nor vacation leaves & no network at all. Tough decision for me. Did you manage to make use of your real estate licence ? I mean that will be a good source of income for me. Another issue is location for tuition, my place isn't the most convenient environment for tuition (with pet dogs, you see). So mostly I might need to go to students' place and will likely take time in travelling. (No car yet) your views?
Hi,

Anyone applied to be a poly lecturer recently? What is the current average waiting time for HR clearance? 1 month? 3 months?

TIA

Old 21-09-2016, 08:16 PM
Unregistered

I am an ex-MOE teacher. Quit because I was truly burned out and depressed. Not because of the kids or the parents because strangely everyone always thinks that is the reason. The kids were the best part of the job. I was burned out by the workload.

Anyway, my original degree was from NUS so that gave me confidence that I can survive after quitting teaching. I went to do my Masters in a different vocation and the break revived me. I then went to work for some years in a private organisation.

Eventually quit the private organisation because I felt I had reached my limit of learning there and went on to re-join civil service.

Am very happy now. Excellent work life balance, good growth potential and with the free time after work, I volunteer as a tutor and feel fulfilled being able to work with the kids again on my own time and pace.

One thing I want to emphasise. Given that you have survived 3 years as a teacher, trust me when I say you can survive ANYWHERE! Truly the time and people management skills you gain in teaching absolutely valuable. When I went to the private organisation, I was astounded by how lacking in time and stress management skills some of my colleagues were. They also appeared very entitled to me. So have confidence in yourself. After the battlefield of teaching in a local school, everything else will seem like reservist duty.
Old 22-09-2016, 03:41 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
One thing I want to emphasise. Given that you have survived 3 years as a teacher, trust me when I say you can survive ANYWHERE!
Haha, that has to be a joke.
Old 20-02-2017, 03:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I was an MOE teacher and I quitted in 2014.

Kinda regretted my decision as I was not very good in doing a lot of things.

Now that I am outside, I teach tuition full time at a centre and earn about 3k a month, sometimes 4k if I include some other private students I teach. The work is not as hectic as school life but there's other challenges to do.
What are examples of "other challenges to do"?
Old 17-02-2018, 10:40 AM
moron

Default Glc

Government Linked Corporation