Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Ex-MOE Teachers (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3908-ex-ministry-education-singapore-teachers.html)

redvelvetcake 28-04-2014 10:46 PM

Ex-MOE Teachers
 
I have been teaching in a Secondary School. I resigned when my 3 year bond ended. Wanted to do a career switch, currently looking for a job.
Anyone can share your experiences after leaving the service,and how you cope with the transition?

Thank you in advance!

Unregistered 28-04-2014 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redvelvetcake (Post 50940)
I have been teaching in a Secondary School. I resigned when my 3 year bond ended. Wanted to do a career switch, currently looking for a job.
Anyone can share your experiences after leaving the service,and how you cope with the transition?

Thank you in advance!

If your degree is from NIE, sorry to say, you are useless. Cant be applied anywhere else, unless you choose to work in tuition centre. Most ex-teachers who only have an NIE degree end up in 'motivational' consultants like Adam Khoo, scamming people's money. Not much you can do.

redvelvetcake 28-04-2014 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50945)
If your degree is from NIE, sorry to say, you are useless. Cant be applied anywhere else, unless you choose to work in tuition centre. Most ex-teachers who only have an NIE degree end up in 'motivational' consultants like Adam Khoo, scamming people's money. Not much you can do.

I have a Bachelor of Arts degree from NUS(:

Unregistered 29-04-2014 01:59 AM

how about teaching private tuition? i know a full time undergrad giving part time tuition, n i believe his monthly income is certainty higher than ur last drawn pay, unless u r drawing 5 digits per month which i doubt so.... admittedly, he got many years of experience and has a size-able client base... but it is still very impressive for someone not teaching full time.

Unregistered 29-04-2014 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redvelvetcake (Post 50946)
I have a Bachelor of Arts degree from NUS(:

you should be relatively young, still in your mid 20s if you are female and late 20s if you are male. you could consider working in office roles for unis, but doubt they will consider you as having the experience.

in a non-education role you will have to start out at the bottom. i think you have to realistically expect a big pay cut from cushy civil service jobs.

just to encourage you, i know of an ex-colleague who came from teaching. he joined a GLC in a generalist executive position in his early 30s and he's doing pretty well for himself now in the corporate world in his late 30s.

all the best!

redvelvetcake 29-04-2014 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50950)
you should be relatively young, still in your mid 20s if you are female and late 20s if you are male. you could consider working in office roles for unis, but doubt they will consider you as having the experience.

in a non-education role you will have to start out at the bottom. i think you have to realistically expect a big pay cut from cushy civil service jobs.

just to encourage you, i know of an ex-colleague who came from teaching. he joined a GLC in a generalist executive position in his early 30s and he's doing pretty well for himself now in the corporate world in his late 30s.

all the best!

Hi, thank you for your encouragements!

I am in my twenties. Actually alot people felt that my resignation is a waste, because i was promoted to a leadership role in school in my second year. But I felt that I wanted a change, and learn something new, new perspectives and horizon in another industry, which is why i made this decision.

What is GLC?

redvelvetcake 29-04-2014 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50948)
how about teaching private tuition? i know a full time undergrad giving part time tuition, n i believe his monthly income is certainty higher than ur last drawn pay, unless u r drawing 5 digits per month which i doubt so.... admittedly, he got many years of experience and has a size-able client base... but it is still very impressive for someone not teaching full time.

I agree that private tuition generates good income, but for the time being i wanted to do something else than teaching (:

redvelvetcake 29-04-2014 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50950)
you should be relatively young, still in your mid 20s if you are female and late 20s if you are male. you could consider working in office roles for unis, but doubt they will consider you as having the experience.

in a non-education role you will have to start out at the bottom. i think you have to realistically expect a big pay cut from cushy civil service jobs.

just to encourage you, i know of an ex-colleague who came from teaching. he joined a GLC in a generalist executive position in his early 30s and he's doing pretty well for himself now in the corporate world in his late 30s.

all the best!

by the way, how was the transition that your friend had?
I went for some interviews, and companies are hesitant to shortlist me due to my lack of relevant experiences and they were not sure if I can stay in this field for long.

jamz 29-04-2014 10:42 PM

i believe you should follow your passion this time round in your new role
since teaching in a school was not/is no longer your passion. that's why you quit i guess.
GLC = gov linked company

Unregistered 30-04-2014 11:12 AM

Hi,

I resigned back in 2011. Have worked for them for 6 years after the 1 year stint in NIE and half a year of contract teaching. Given up 8 years of my life for them. I was given both leadership roles (oh, wow, Zzzzz...) and mentorship roles (probably what I enjoy much more) and have the fullest support from my HOD to my P. When I left, I have my HOD, 2 or my VPs and my Ps talking to me and persuading me to stay. Hope this is a good indication that I'm not those teachers who are not doing well and has been wanting or ask to leave.

Here is my opinion...

Unless you are a scholar, ex-student of the school or you don't intend to have a family, you will probably not going to go far in MOE. They can promise you tons of leadership roles, but ultimately, unless you TRULY believe in what you are doing benefit students and the community and not that you are just wayang-ing, you should probably get out if you want to have more career advancement, earn more, have more work-life balance and be equally contented in your career.

I came out and have been teaching at a tuition centre. Focus is different, have different types of stress but equally happy (if not, happier).

I earn 50-70% more annually, even much more with the connect plan that you have to slog for years to get it. I have almost double the free time with my family and myself. I got myself a real estate licence which I am doing as part-time. I earned an additional few thousandS per month and I get to know more people, talk about stuff other than lesson plans, students' performance, and how to coordinate and run events which I add in my yearly work review. In summary, networking in a real sense that add worth to myself.

Do I miss teaching in MOE? Maybe. It's something that I haven't look back as yet.


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2