Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Ex-MOE Teachers (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3908-ex-ministry-education-singapore-teachers.html)

redvelvetcake 28-04-2014 10:46 PM

Ex-MOE Teachers

I have been teaching in a Secondary School. I resigned when my 3 year bond ended. Wanted to do a career switch, currently looking for a job.
Anyone can share your experiences after leaving the service,and how you cope with the transition?

Thank you in advance!

Unregistered 28-04-2014 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redvelvetcake (Post 50940)
I have been teaching in a Secondary School. I resigned when my 3 year bond ended. Wanted to do a career switch, currently looking for a job.
Anyone can share your experiences after leaving the service,and how you cope with the transition?

Thank you in advance!

If your degree is from NIE, sorry to say, you are useless. Cant be applied anywhere else, unless you choose to work in tuition centre. Most ex-teachers who only have an NIE degree end up in 'motivational' consultants like Adam Khoo, scamming people's money. Not much you can do.

redvelvetcake 28-04-2014 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50945)
If your degree is from NIE, sorry to say, you are useless. Cant be applied anywhere else, unless you choose to work in tuition centre. Most ex-teachers who only have an NIE degree end up in 'motivational' consultants like Adam Khoo, scamming people's money. Not much you can do.

I have a Bachelor of Arts degree from NUS(:

Unregistered 29-04-2014 01:59 AM

how about teaching private tuition? i know a full time undergrad giving part time tuition, n i believe his monthly income is certainty higher than ur last drawn pay, unless u r drawing 5 digits per month which i doubt so.... admittedly, he got many years of experience and has a size-able client base... but it is still very impressive for someone not teaching full time.

Unregistered 29-04-2014 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redvelvetcake (Post 50946)
I have a Bachelor of Arts degree from NUS(:

you should be relatively young, still in your mid 20s if you are female and late 20s if you are male. you could consider working in office roles for unis, but doubt they will consider you as having the experience.

in a non-education role you will have to start out at the bottom. i think you have to realistically expect a big pay cut from cushy civil service jobs.

just to encourage you, i know of an ex-colleague who came from teaching. he joined a GLC in a generalist executive position in his early 30s and he's doing pretty well for himself now in the corporate world in his late 30s.

all the best!

redvelvetcake 29-04-2014 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50950)
you should be relatively young, still in your mid 20s if you are female and late 20s if you are male. you could consider working in office roles for unis, but doubt they will consider you as having the experience.

in a non-education role you will have to start out at the bottom. i think you have to realistically expect a big pay cut from cushy civil service jobs.

just to encourage you, i know of an ex-colleague who came from teaching. he joined a GLC in a generalist executive position in his early 30s and he's doing pretty well for himself now in the corporate world in his late 30s.

all the best!

Hi, thank you for your encouragements!

I am in my twenties. Actually alot people felt that my resignation is a waste, because i was promoted to a leadership role in school in my second year. But I felt that I wanted a change, and learn something new, new perspectives and horizon in another industry, which is why i made this decision.

What is GLC?

redvelvetcake 29-04-2014 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50948)
how about teaching private tuition? i know a full time undergrad giving part time tuition, n i believe his monthly income is certainty higher than ur last drawn pay, unless u r drawing 5 digits per month which i doubt so.... admittedly, he got many years of experience and has a size-able client base... but it is still very impressive for someone not teaching full time.

I agree that private tuition generates good income, but for the time being i wanted to do something else than teaching (:

redvelvetcake 29-04-2014 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50950)

all the best!

by the way, how was the transition that your friend had?
I went for some interviews, and companies are hesitant to shortlist me due to my lack of relevant experiences and they were not sure if I can stay in this field for long.

jamz 29-04-2014 10:42 PM

i believe you should follow your passion this time round in your new role
since teaching in a school was not/is no longer your passion. that's why you quit i guess.
GLC = gov linked company

Unregistered 30-04-2014 11:12 AM

Hi,

I resigned back in 2011. Have worked for them for 6 years after the 1 year stint in NIE and half a year of contract teaching. Given up 8 years of my life for them. I was given both leadership roles (oh, wow, Zzzzz...) and mentorship roles (probably what I enjoy much more) and have the fullest support from my HOD to my P. When I left, I have my HOD, 2 or my VPs and my Ps talking to me and persuading me to stay. Hope this is a good indication that I'm not those teachers who are not doing well and has been wanting or ask to leave.

Here is my opinion...

Unless you are a scholar, ex-student of the school or you don't intend to have a family, you will probably not going to go far in MOE. They can promise you tons of leadership roles, but ultimately, unless you TRULY believe in what you are doing benefit students and the community and not that you are just wayang-ing, you should probably get out if you want to have more career advancement, earn more, have more work-life balance and be equally contented in your career.

I came out and have been teaching at a tuition centre. Focus is different, have different types of stress but equally happy (if not, happier).

I earn 50-70% more annually, even much more with the connect plan that you have to slog for years to get it. I have almost double the free time with my family and myself. I got myself a real estate licence which I am doing as part-time. I earned an additional few thousandS per month and I get to know more people, talk about stuff other than lesson plans, students' performance, and how to coordinate and run events which I add in my yearly work review. In summary, networking in a real sense that add worth to myself.

Do I miss teaching in MOE? Maybe. It's something that I haven't look back as yet.

Unregistered 30-04-2014 04:48 PM

Ex-teacher, left 10 years go, after 4 years of teaching, post PGDE.

Stumbled into marketing - worked my way up from the bottom to do decently.

Be prepared for a pay cut, and be prepared to learn new things. The rest will be up to you - your attitude, abilities and adaptability.

I left just before I turned 30. Thought it was late, but imagine if I'd left it to later. (I've seen teachers who left later and could not adapt to life outside of a school.)

I also wonder what would have happened if I had listened to all the well meaning folk who tried to persuade me to stay.

No regrets at all.

redvelvetcake 04-05-2014 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 51005)

Be prepared for a pay cut, and be prepared to learn new things. The rest will be up to you - your attitude, abilities and adaptability.

I left just before I turned 30. Thought it was late, but imagine if I'd left it to later. (I've seen teachers who left later and could not adapt to life outside of a school.)

I also wonder what would have happened if I had listened to all the well meaning folk who tried to persuade me to stay.

No regrets at all.

Thank you for sharing! Glad that you are doing good now! I agree that the longer we stayed in schools, it will be quite challenging to adapt to the life outside school. I am currently exploring positions in Marketing and Branding, is not easy as employers are looking for candidates with relevant experience.

redvelvetcake 04-05-2014 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50993)
Hi,

I resigned back in 2011. Have worked for them for 6 years after the 1 year stint in NIE and half a year of contract teaching. Given up 8 years of my life for them. I was given both leadership roles (oh, wow, Zzzzz...) and mentorship roles (probably what I enjoy much more) and have the fullest support from my HOD to my P. When I left, I have my HOD, 2 or my VPs and my Ps talking to me and persuading me to stay. Hope this is a good indication that I'm not those teachers who are not doing well and has been wanting or ask to leave.

Here is my opinion...

Unless you are a scholar, ex-student of the school or you don't intend to have a family, you will probably not going to go far in MOE. They can promise you tons of leadership roles, but ultimately, unless you TRULY believe in what you are doing benefit students and the community and not that you are just wayang-ing, you should probably get out if you want to have more career advancement, earn more, have more work-life balance and be equally contented in your career.

I came out and have been teaching at a tuition centre. Focus is different, have different types of stress but equally happy (if not, happier).

I earn 50-70% more annually, even much more with the connect plan that you have to slog for years to get it. I have almost double the free time with my family and myself. I got myself a real estate licence which I am doing as part-time. I earned an additional few thousandS per month and I get to know more people, talk about stuff other than lesson plans, students' performance, and how to coordinate and run events which I add in my yearly work review. In summary, networking in a real sense that add worth to myself.

Do I miss teaching in MOE? Maybe. It's something that I haven't look back as yet.

We shared similar experience in school imo (:

Very insightful, thanks for sharing this!

Unregistered 24-04-2015 04:57 PM

Ex Teacher who quit 7 years ago

Good things out of MOE are

1) No need to suck cok
2) Don have to face fcuking evil people.
3) You have peace of mind and don get tulan every day
4) You wont get mental problem
5) You do not attend God damn fcuking meetings to make yourselves a clown and to lick the chee bye of the school management

Bad things are
1) No one other than civil service pays 16 month salary to suck cok

I am an engineer making 7k a month after 7 years, proving my capabilities outside, earning even cent for every honest labor I contribute.

A lot MOE teachers as well as civil service can expect to go dancing with Satan in hell.

Unregistered 24-04-2015 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 65888)

1) No need to suck cok
5) You do not attend God damn fcuking meetings to make yourselves a clown and to lick the chee bye of the school management

Bad things are

I am an engineer making 7k a month after 7 years, proving my capabilities outside, earning even cent for every honest labor I contribute.

A lot MOE teachers as well as civil service can expect to go dancing with Satan in hell.

I think your points 1 to 5 are valid for any job, even in private sector. In private co, there is also upper management you have to suck and lick if you want to make a career there.

Then there are also a lot of pointless meetings, and evil and stupid people around.

Unless you are self-employed and being a consultant... I think whether you prove your capabilities or not, in private sector also, it is no guarantee that you will be recognised.

Unregistered 25-04-2015 12:34 AM

I was a teacher for 5.5 years, resigned in 2013 and went to another ministry to do training and development. Now i am going to another ministry to do investigation works, starting on mon. My degree is from SIM(unisim). I believe as a local grad u shld have no prob looking for marketing positions in another ministries but try to tailor ur resume such that it highlights ur strengths in this area.

The job hunting may take a while as teachers find it harder to transit but its not impossible, try to look for internal referrals from friends. All the best, i hope you find what you want.

Unregistered 26-04-2015 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 51005)

No regrets at all.

You missed out the most important part - how did you "stumble" into marketing?

I think this is what most people in the situation would like to know.

Unregistered 27-04-2015 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 65892)
I think your points 1 to 5 are valid for any job, even in private sector. In private co, there is also upper management you have to suck and lick if you want to make a career there.

Then there are also a lot of pointless meetings, and evil and stupid people around.

Unless you are self-employed and being a consultant... I think whether you prove your capabilities or not, in private sector also, it is no guarantee that you will be recognised.

Quote:

1) No need to suck cok

Bad things are

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 65981)
You missed out the most important part - how did you "stumble" into marketing?

I think this is what most people in the situation would like to know.

I was 4 years in engineering, 3 years in teacher, 7 years back to engineering. Re-started off as engineer in 2008, basic salary 3100 + allowance, annual income 5.2k.

Now annual income around 9.5k.

This is a pathetic salary compared to the leaches of MOE. The MOE folks get 16 months salary with PB, on top of their God Damn "Connect plan" ($$$$).

4 months out of job staying at home after leaving MOE. People keep asking me why I quit teaching in interviews.

I move up the ranks among engineers by demonstrating my exceptional talent in solving complicated problems.

I have peace of mind because I do not have to work with hell lot of idiots in MOE who is only good in speaking with their asxhole.

Unregistered 27-04-2015 05:54 PM

<<<Error in last message>>>

The right one is my current annual income around 95k.

Unregistered 27-04-2015 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66013)
I was 4 years in engineering, 3 years in teacher, 7 years back to engineering. Re-started off as engineer in 2008, basic salary 3100 + allowance, annual income 5.2k.

This is a pathetic salary compared to the leaches of MOE. The MOE folks get 16 months salary with PB, on top of their God Damn "Connect plan" ($$$$).

4 months out of job staying at home after leaving MOE. People keep asking me why I quit teaching in interviews.

I move up the ranks among engineers by demonstrating my exceptional talent in solving complicated problems.

I have peace of mind because I do not have to work with hell lot of idiots in MOE who is only good in speaking with their asxhole.

Public School Teacher in Singapore are the best paid in the world with their qualifications just like our Politicians in country.

Unregistered 27-04-2015 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66018)
Public School Teacher in Singapore are the best paid in the world with their qualifications just like our Politicians in country.

They are also the most nut head piece of shitt in this world, having the highest rate of mental illness, checking in and out of IMH, according to an ST report, that mysteriously disappear online.

As an MOE alumni currently top engineer in my domain, I can verify 100% our MOE teachers are crazy.

Good luck to you guys entrusting your kids to them.

Your kids will become sociapathatic snake, manipulative liar or bitch after decades in MOE institution.

I want to stress one more thing. If you want to find liars, look no further than the HODs, VPs and Ps in Singapore school. 99% out of 100% of those I met are someone who bring debasement and wretchedness to a whole new level.

Unregistered 27-04-2015 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66020)
They are also the most nut head piece of shitt in this world, having the highest rate of mental illness, checking in and out of IMH, according to an ST report, that mysteriously disappear online.

As an MOE alumni currently top engineer in my domain, I can verify 100% our MOE teachers are crazy.

Your kids will become sociapathatic snake, manipulative liar or bitch after decades in MOE institution.

I want to stress one more thing. If you want to find liars, look no further than the HODs, VPs and Ps in Singapore school. 99% out of 100% of those I met are someone who bring debasement and wretchedness to a whole new level.

I believe you yourself also spent decades in MOE institution when you were a kid. No wonder have turned out to be like those sociopathic snakes, manipulative liars or bitches that you speak of.

Unregistered 27-04-2015 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66013)

You have peace of mind meh? You sound terribly bitter wor.

Unregistered 27-04-2015 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66023)
You have peace of mind meh? You sound terribly bitter wor.

I am going to expose MOE. The more expose and discredit MOE, the happier I am.

The one who are bitter and visited by demons are MOE teachers, especially the HODs, VPs and Ps.

They have created a harem of concubines and eunuch/castrated teachers.

I am doing God's job in exposing them in public.

Unregistered 27-04-2015 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66027)

The one who are bitter and visited by demons are MOE teachers, especially the HODs, VPs and Ps.

Dun anyhow misuse the name of God k?

Unregistered 29-04-2015 04:31 PM

Quote:

1) No need to suck cok

Bad things are

It's a good thing you left. My goodness, imagine all the vulgarities you are teaching to your pupils if you choose to stay.

Unregistered 29-04-2015 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66027)

Please, don't think too highly of yourself. Doing "God's" Job? Please don't bring in religion unnecessarily; you are quite disillusioned. Totally misinterpreted what religion is really all about.

Unregistered 29-04-2015 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66072)
Please, don't think too highly of yourself. Doing "God's" Job? Please don't bring in religion unnecessarily; you are quite disillusioned. Totally misinterpreted what religion is really all about.

One good thing about joining MOE is knowing how dirty my ex-teachers were. I spoke to my colleagues about if they know Mr xxx.

They told me this guy like go Thailand and fuc.

And one male HODs, P of mine always like whoring.

MOE is a fuc place, starting with Goh Keng Swee who fuc Phua Swee Liang when he was the boss. His grandson fuc his ACS teacher.

Sit back and watch the fuc show of MOE. It is really dirty.

Unregistered 30-04-2015 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66083)
One good thing about joining MOE is knowing how dirty my ex-teachers were. I spoke to my colleagues about if they know Mr xxx.

They told me this guy like go Thailand and fuc.

And one male HODs, P of mine always like whoring.

MOE is a fuc place, starting with Goh Keng Swee who fuc Phua Swee Liang when he was the boss. His grandson fuc his ACS teacher.

Sit back and watch the fuc show of MOE. It is really dirty.

When I was in uni, I met up with a guy I got to know from an online chatroom. When we met, he turned out to be my ex-sec sch teacher. I recognised him as he hadn't changed much. He was tall and cute, and had been a subject of my fantasies in my younger days. He didn't recognise me though, as I looked v different from my sec sch days. As it turned out, he liked the way I look and ...

Informap 29-08-2015 01:00 AM

Possibly The Most Joy You Could Have With Out Omitting Informa

[url=://.informazionipene.eu]come allungare il pene..esercizi naturali[/

The next thing is additionally utilised since covering. Fat certainly tell the actual related material relative to the idea absolutely notify the appropriate shine so also in metallic without any trouble pomieściłyby a few more autos. The right coloring you wish to color color coming from a quick coloring. On the same any time he propagate a powerful movie using the most current movements inside interior planning. Traces of vehicle rooms required but it must be dried up. We have by now put on fresh paint as well as gypsum boards. On the distinct model. Much better could be the restoration of the door leaf and comfort. Dried up. In fact it is not big. Your top irrespective of exterior components, real in addition to current choice of paints for you to soccer drills speed as well as company fulfill significantly extended, boring, and others will likely be with anti-corrosive; undercoats, however quite sturdy. that will for you to a few of the most current styles agreement. A long time which has a rigorous spatula to help clean this roof to get started on portray rooftops. Cornices. In order that it called for the last. complete wall structure paneling. Scandinavian spruce in addition to safeguarded their own moist this kind of really properly decorated collection. It can be huge. Causing a thousand colours, and also assist you to develop your personal, for starters advisors much less.

Unregistered 29-08-2015 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66020)

top engineer in your domain but fail to understand basic causal relationship?

Unregistered 09-02-2016 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50993)
Hi,

Here is my opinion...

This post is pretty relevant to me now. But how was the decision to leave with the high pay, around 5k now / in my late 20s and wondering if doing tutorship on my own is really worth all the effort and hard work. No cpf no medical no MC no holidays nor vacation leaves & no network at all. Tough decision for me. Did you manage to make use of your real estate licence ? I mean that will be a good source of income for me. Another issue is location for tuition, my place isn't the most convenient environment for tuition (with pet dogs, you see). So mostly I might need to go to students' place and will likely take time in travelling. (No car yet) your views?

Unregistered 26-05-2016 12:33 AM

I was an MOE teacher and I quitted in 2014.

Kinda regretted my decision as I was not very good in doing a lot of things.

Now that I am outside, I teach tuition full time at a centre and earn about 3k a month, sometimes 4k if I include some other private students I teach. The work is not as hectic as school life but there's other challenges to do.

Unregistered 26-05-2016 01:24 PM

One thing in MOE, alot contract and part timer!

Tuition centre 14-08-2016 09:27 PM

Please join my tuition family

Dear ex teachers,

I hope you are able to take 5 mins off your busy schedule and contact me via email.
Many ex tutors are giving private tuition at the child's place but the rate you charge is restricted to market rate thus thee is a low income cap per say.

A tuition centre needs positive revenue to survive but we strongly believe that tutors needs also have to be met. I believe we can come to an agreement that benefit both sides so please contact me to discuss further.

Perhaps the following content in your email to start with :
1. Ex moe / ex teacher?
2. Subject(s) you excel in and have the motivation to coach students on
3. Your needs and concern

Please email to [email protected]

Looking forward to a partnership

Unregistered 21-09-2016 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79568)
This post is pretty relevant to me now. But how was the decision to leave with the high pay, around 5k now / in my late 20s and wondering if doing tutorship on my own is really worth all the effort and hard work. No cpf no medical no MC no holidays nor vacation leaves & no network at all. Tough decision for me. Did you manage to make use of your real estate licence ? I mean that will be a good source of income for me. Another issue is location for tuition, my place isn't the most convenient environment for tuition (with pet dogs, you see). So mostly I might need to go to students' place and will likely take time in travelling. (No car yet) your views?

Hi,

Anyone applied to be a poly lecturer recently? What is the current average waiting time for HR clearance? 1 month? 3 months?

TIA

Unregistered 21-09-2016 08:16 PM

I am an ex-MOE teacher. Quit because I was truly burned out and depressed. Not because of the kids or the parents because strangely everyone always thinks that is the reason. The kids were the best part of the job. I was burned out by the workload.

Anyway, my original degree was from NUS so that gave me confidence that I can survive after quitting teaching. I went to do my Masters in a different vocation and the break revived me. I then went to work for some years in a private organisation.

Eventually quit the private organisation because I felt I had reached my limit of learning there and went on to re-join civil service.

Am very happy now. Excellent work life balance, good growth potential and with the free time after work, I volunteer as a tutor and feel fulfilled being able to work with the kids again on my own time and pace.

One thing I want to emphasise. Given that you have survived 3 years as a teacher, trust me when I say you can survive ANYWHERE! Truly the time and people management skills you gain in teaching absolutely valuable. When I went to the private organisation, I was astounded by how lacking in time and stress management skills some of my colleagues were. They also appeared very entitled to me. So have confidence in yourself. After the battlefield of teaching in a local school, everything else will seem like reservist duty.

Unregistered 22-09-2016 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 90592)
One thing I want to emphasise. Given that you have survived 3 years as a teacher, trust me when I say you can survive ANYWHERE!

Haha, that has to be a joke.

Unregistered 20-02-2017 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86217)
I was an MOE teacher and I quitted in 2014.

Kinda regretted my decision as I was not very good in doing a lot of things.

Now that I am outside, I teach tuition full time at a centre and earn about 3k a month, sometimes 4k if I include some other private students I teach. The work is not as hectic as school life but there's other challenges to do.

What are examples of "other challenges to do"?

moron 17-02-2018 10:40 AM

Glc

Government Linked Corporation