Yearly increment - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Yearly increment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 13-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 14
Button is on a distinguished road
Default Yearly increment

Is it common HR practice to have percentage-based yearly increments? This is how it is done in my company, and it seems to me to be an unfair system that favours those earning more. An example. Suppose X (with experience) and Y (fresh graduate) join a company, with salary of 6k and 3k respectively. And assume that both are consistently rated A over the next few years, and that the increment for A performers is 10%. Over time, the salary gap between X and Y is going to widen. 3 years later, for example, X's salary will rise to $8k while Y's salary will only rise to 4k.

Comments?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 13-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 115
undiscern is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Button View Post
Is it common HR practice to have percentage-based yearly increments? This is how it is done in my company, and it seems to me to be an unfair system that favours those earning more. An example. Suppose X (with experience) and Y (fresh graduate) join a company, with salary of 6k and 3k respectively. And assume that both are consistently rated A over the next few years, and that the increment for A performers is 10%. Over time, the salary gap between X and Y is going to widen. 3 years later, for example, X's salary will rise to $8k while Y's salary will only rise to 4k.

Comments?
That is how it works in practice. That is why the Fresh graduate Y MUST job hop to another company after 3 years and his pay will be about 5k+

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 13-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 274
miwashi is on a distinguished road
Default

Unless, like me, you have never received job offers with higher pay, only pay cuts.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 13-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default small percentage.

Hi,

The reality: Both experienced and fresh MAY receive barely 2% annual increment. Thus, the absolute value are almost negligible. Based on your example of $6K vs $3K, the increments are $120 vs $60.

If there are firms that pay in the range of 10% increment, please let us know.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 13-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 115
undiscern is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi,

The reality: Both experienced and fresh MAY receive barely 2% annual increment. Thus, the absolute value are almost negligible. Based on your example of $6K vs $3K, the increments are $120 vs $60.

If there are firms that pay in the range of 10% increment, please let us know.
President office Singapore. 26% increment
Singapore President's annual salary tops S$4.2 million - Yahoo! News
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 13-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

my friend:
grad in 2005, engineer in EPC company serving oil,chemical, pharma industries.

2006: $2500, $2700 (confirmed 6 mths later)
2007: $3000
2008: $3300
2009: $3300 (recession no increment)
2010: $4000 (double-increment to compensate 2009 freeze)
2011: $4700 (promotion)

as shown, yearly increment abt $300-$350, which is around 10%.
promotion increment $700
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 13-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

For those who are getting 10% it is quite good. According to the Annual Wage Review, it is typically 4~6%.

My company gives me a measly 4% increment per year which is crap because if you were to take inflation into consideration which is about 2~3% per year (with exception of 2009 which was 7%!!) I am basically getting a 1% increment per year and -3% increment for year 2009.

Increment should be on top of inflation to give a true figure.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 13-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

normally annual increment is 2-6%,

for my example below i will assume annual increment (AI) be 5%

---------------------------------------------
different company pay AI differently, some pay AI in term of % as you have mention, while some pay AI by giving fix quantum increment throughout the board.

(my example will exclude promotional increment)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AI base on %

MR A
basic = $3000
AI = 5%
After 10 years with the same company = $3000 x (1.05)^10 = $4886

MR B
basic = $4000
AI = 5%
After 10 years with the same company = $4000 x (1.05)^10 = $6515

when AI is payout in %, the higher the basic salary will be better, as it will generate higher AI on a higher base.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AI base on fix quantum increment

MR A
basic = $3000
AI = fix $150 every year
After 10 years with the same company = $3000 + 10(150) = $4500

MR B
basic = $4000
AI = fix $150 every year
After 10 years with the same company = $4000 x 10(150) = $5500

when AI is payout in fix quantum, every one get the same increment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the long term, annual increment in % will be better, as the base salary getting higher, the annual increment will be larger!!1
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 14-07-2011, 02:17 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

My increment is actually quite fast, and furious, and real. i work in a bank (yes real bank with a real job, and real pay)

All figures in SGD or SGD eq on annual basis
2004: grad with local undergrad+master and started at base of 40.6k and pro-rated half-year bonus of 8k
2005: was promoted and base up 11.7% to 45.6k and full year bonud at 18k
2006: base unchange and no bonus cos i left in May
2006-2007: student again
2007: work for a new firm in nyc. sign on bonus 50k usd, base 95k usd, half year stub year 25k usd
2008: base unchanged at 95k usd, no bonus cos i left in June
2008: back in SG working for another bank, base 110.4k, half year stuf bonus 40k
2009: promoted at mid year, base up 20% to 132.5k, full year bonus 92k; sideline business 15k
2010: promoted again end of 2009 but base unchanged, full year bonus 100k; sideline business 22k
2011: base up 10% to 145k, full year bonus expected 120k; sideline business expected 40k

So my base is up from 40.8k to 145k in 7 years, that's 19.8% per annual on geometric average. Total comp from 48.6k to (expected) 305k, or 30% per annum.

I think I am lucky, but I think I should make 500k a year, at least.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 14-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 115
undiscern is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My increment is actually quite fast, and furious, and real. i work in a bank (yes real bank with a real job, and real pay)

All figures in SGD or SGD eq on annual basis
2004: grad with local undergrad+master and started at base of 40.6k and pro-rated half-year bonus of 8k
2005: was promoted and base up 11.7% to 45.6k and full year bonud at 18k
2006: base unchange and no bonus cos i left in May
2006-2007: student again
2007: work for a new firm in nyc. sign on bonus 50k usd, base 95k usd, half year stub year 25k usd
2008: base unchanged at 95k usd, no bonus cos i left in June
2008: back in SG working for another bank, base 110.4k, half year stuf bonus 40k
2009: promoted at mid year, base up 20% to 132.5k, full year bonus 92k; sideline business 15k
2010: promoted again end of 2009 but base unchanged, full year bonus 100k; sideline business 22k
2011: base up 10% to 145k, full year bonus expected 120k; sideline business expected 40k

So my base is up from 40.8k to 145k in 7 years, that's 19.8% per annual on geometric average. Total comp from 48.6k to (expected) 305k, or 30% per annum.

I think I am lucky, but I think I should make 500k a year, at least.
You made the right move to go to nyc and then come back.. If you had remained in SG, difficult to get what you are getting now.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Salary Increment to be 5.2% Salary.sg Income and Jobs 1 25-09-2021 07:24 PM
Annual Increment for Civil Service 2011 bswuming87 Income and Jobs 4 10-04-2011 09:19 PM
Annual Increment 1nch3r Income and Jobs 0 12-11-2010 12:36 AM
Can your Increment beat Inflation? Salary.sg Investments and Net Worth 9 24-04-2008 03:37 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,825 Replies, 2,306,216 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,208 Replies, 6,850,014 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,077 Replies, 5,110,860 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,351 Replies, 3,465,955 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
745 Replies, 415,688 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,684 Replies, 2,392,999 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,825 Replies, 1,448,537 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,159 Replies, 10,474,121 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
419 Replies, 502,378 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,161 Replies, 3,806,541 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,350 Replies, 1,167,437 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,037 Replies, 1,088,710 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,902 Replies, 4,731,524 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,284 Replies, 639,281 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,441 Replies, 12,603,901 Views
Julius Baer Graduate Program 2023 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 16,962 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,768 Replies, 1,519,227 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,811 Replies, 1,579,976 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,489 Replies, 806,898 Views
Maritime and Port Authority of... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 20,218 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
825 Replies, 389,926 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
323 Replies, 328,227 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,503 Replies, 1,403,564 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
163 Replies, 83,263 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,057 Replies, 452,473 Views
ITE (lecturer) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
279 Replies, 393,562 Views
Any Ministry or Statboard still... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 12,673 Views
Work culture in CPF board ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
34 Replies, 78,049 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
722 Replies, 554,863 Views
Private Banking Salaries ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
83 Replies, 139,261 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2