31 yo private uni grad. Is there any way to recover this position? - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

31 yo private uni grad. Is there any way to recover this position?

Old 29-06-2024, 08:44 AM
Unregistered

what do you want to do?

1) make money then sales
-insurance cold call
-real estate agent

2) swe
-swe is a tough job, you are very underqualified, so dont be picky and take whatever experience you can get VTTP also take, DBS seed etc
-essentially you are a half baked swe ( i might not be call you a swe, coz you did not have the 4 years formal education)
-i usually dont call anybody a doctor, but i expect them to have 4-5 years training, not some mid-career conversion program

Old 29-06-2024, 08:53 AM
Verified Member

xiaoyan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
2) swe
-swe is a tough job, you are very underqualified, so dont be picky and take whatever experience you can get VTTP also take, DBS seed etc
-essentially you are a half baked swe ( i might not be call you a swe, coz you did not have the 4 years formal education)
-i usually dont call anybody a doctor, but i expect them to have 4-5 years training, not some mid-career conversion program
I fully understand looking like a half baked SWE even with the certs from the VTTP program. Is it recommended that I go back to uni for this, even if it takes private A Levels?

From what I know, VTTP has a low (almost null) conversion rate. Is it therefore still worth it even if I do not convert? Going VTTP would opportunity cost my ability to participate in AISG even though it is likely easier for me.

I haven't researched DBS seed extensively but don't I need to be a recent grad with 2y or less of working exp? Even if it doesn't use the same IMDA grant, would doing VTTP exclude me by way of more work exp since I have done the traineeship at visa?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 29-06-2024, 10:02 AM
Unregistered

Just my two cents

If you start now, you will be a 35 year old with a 4 year degree.
If you just sit and wait, another 4 years will come and go, and you will be 35 without a degree.

I’m also among the late ones and I was one of the oldest among my graduation cohort. Best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. Next best time is today.

Old 29-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Unregistered

Wait hold on, what makes you think you qualify for DBS SEED?

You got lucky and qualified for Visa Traineeship, it's not a dead-end role, who told you that it's a dead-end role? Based on what facts? Also crazy how you can't even get any job and you think you're too good for visa's traineeship program, what a joke. They do convert people, who said they don't or that it's a low chance? 80% conversion rate out of a 120 intake is a pretty significant amount.

Quote:
Agree. What really turn me off is the “ew yikes” at the beginning of the post and and the next line determining that it is a “hopeless” situation. How do you sell yourself at interview if you don’t really believe in yourself?

I am also doubtful if SEED is a useful suggestion. The person don’t seem to meet eligibility criteria.

To the OP - suggest you have some focus and think what are your skill sets and what you enjoy doing based on your work experiences so far. You seem to be jumping from accountancy and marketing to SWE, quantitative finance, STEM, stats etc all in a single post. There are a lot of people with private degree who have done well with themselves. All the best.
100% agree with this, OP you're not only pathetic but you just pull nonsense out of your ass and run them as facts to push your own agenda.

Pretty pathetic. If you don't want to do the traineeship out of ego then don't, don't make up some nonsense about low conversion rate. ( no IDEA where you even got this info from )

Also OOP isn't a easy subject, there's a million tutorials out there because people can't seem to pick it up just by looking at 1 tutorial, the fact that you think it's "easy" tells me how inexperienced you are. Please don't become a SWE, you won't make it and we don't want you.
Old 29-06-2024, 11:29 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaoyan View Post
I fully understand looking like a half baked SWE even with the certs from the VTTP program. Is it recommended that I go back to uni for this, even if it takes private A Levels?

From what I know, VTTP has a low (almost null) conversion rate. Is it therefore still worth it even if I do not convert? Going VTTP would opportunity cost my ability to participate in AISG even though it is likely easier for me.

I haven't researched DBS seed extensively but don't I need to be a recent grad with 2y or less of working exp? Even if it doesn't use the same IMDA grant, would doing VTTP exclude me by way of more work exp since I have done the traineeship at visa?
huh? so u wanna do visa traineeship then after completion do dbs seed?

they are both tech programs... why would u hop from 1 to another? the whole point of tech program is to get skills, exp and join tech companies as perm lol u don seem to know what u doing lol
Old 29-06-2024, 03:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
what do you want to do?

1) make money then sales
-insurance cold call
-real estate agent

2) swe
-swe is a tough job, you are very underqualified, so dont be picky and take whatever experience you can get
Agree with this. There is no shame in making an honest living from financial consultant or housing agent sales. OP can then save up for studies or at least have side income while pursuing higher qualifications. These are essentially self-employed jobs, so depending on your team targets maybe can work out a schedule that can fit in studies.

This way, OP will also be a happier person by not being saddled with “student” debt or borrowing from relatives.

No offence but I also think OP is too picky. Even graduates can have difficulty getting recruited in competitive industry. Is it better to earn an honest living and gain some experience in people skills (which can also help if you move to your dream companies) or remain unemployed jumping between part time work. Your choice.

Old 29-06-2024, 04:57 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Wait hold on, what makes you think you qualify for DBS SEED?
Thanks for the input! But it seems you might be slightly confused. I am the one raising the doubts as to my own eligibility. I said "don't I need to be a recent grad with 2y or less of working exp?" in response to the people who had previously suggested it.

Quote:
You got lucky and qualified for Visa Traineeship, it's not a dead-end role, who told you that it's a dead-end role? Based on what facts? Also crazy how you can't even get any job and you think you're too good for visa's traineeship program, what a joke. They do convert people, who said they don't or that it's a low chance? 80% conversion rate out of a 120 intake is a pretty significant amount.
This is actually new information to me. Where did you find the information about 80% conversion rate?

What I have read online here and in other sources indicate a fairly low conversion rate. I personally know people who had gone through the program before, as well as full-timers inside who responded negatively about conversion prospects (indicating that Visa is undergoing extensive restructuring at the moment).

I am willing to take your input into account as well, where do your numbers for an 80% conversion rate out of a 120 intake come from?

Quote:
Pretty pathetic. If you don't want to do the traineeship out of ego then don't, don't make up some nonsense about low conversion rate. ( no IDEA where you even got this info from )

Also OOP isn't a easy subject, there's a million tutorials out there because people can't seem to pick it up just by looking at 1 tutorial, the fact that you think it's "easy" tells me how inexperienced you are. Please don't become a SWE, you won't make it and we don't want you.
OOP is relatively easy by comparison to the multitude of SWE concepts out there.

As a SWE, you should be familiar with the quantity and extent of Leetcode problems (dynamic programming, etc.) which are necessary prior even to interview considerarion in most tech MNCs. And that's not even considering slightly lower level stuff.

Can I clarify if you are disputing this?

For the record, I am not 'too good for the VTTP'! Apologies if I had given off the wrong vibe. I am disgusting, pathetic, absolute trash. Why is kind of why I cannot afford to be dragged down even further by more missteps.

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app

Last edited by xiaoyan; 29-06-2024 at 05:01 PM.
Old 29-06-2024, 05:19 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Just my two cents

If you start now, you will be a 35 year old with a 4 year degree.
If you just sit and wait, another 4 years will come and go, and you will be 35 without a degree.

I’m also among the late ones and I was one of the oldest among my graduation cohort. Best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. Next best time is today.
I agree with you. What age did you manage to get started at? How has your journey progressed up until now?

Don't have to mention company specifics, I'm curious what the path you took looked like (which major for private degree, first job industry/company type and duration, etc..)
Old 29-06-2024, 05:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thanks for the input! But it seems you might be slightly confused. I am the one raising the doubts as to my own eligibility.

This is actually new information to me. Where did you find the information about 80% conversion rate?

What I have read online here and in other sources indicate a fairly low conversion rate. I personally know people who had gone through the program before, as well as full-timers inside who responded negatively about conversion prospects (indicating that Visa is undergoing extensive restructuring at the moment).

I am willing to take your input into account as well, where do your numbers for an 80% conversion rate out of a 120 intake come from?

OOP is relatively easy by comparison to the multitude of SWE concepts out there.

As a SWE, you should be familiar with the quantity and extent of Leetcode problems (dynamic programming, etc.) which are necessary prior even to interview considerarion in most tech MNCs. And that's not even considering slightly lower level stuff.

For the record, I am not 'too good for the VTTP'!

Why is kind of why I cannot afford to be dragged down even further by more missteps.
It seems that you have something to argue back with everyone who provides you with an opinion. When you seek anonymous views on a forum, you should already been prepared for tongue in cheek views. People come here to relax and give off the cuff opinions. They may be based on own experience and hearsay, but pls don’t expect carefully researched views or that people will have the time to entertain each of your long rebuttals.

I think I will be disengaging from your thread as your tone and outlook gives very negative vibes. This is not attractive as a job seeker. It’s not all about qualifications but also about the presentation.

People have even gone in and out of prison and rehabilitated themselves. Here you are hat!ng yourself becos you don’t have the perfect qualifications or dream job. The answer to some of your questions to others can be easily found by browsing LinkedIn profiles to see what people with private degrees have done with themselves. That may be more helpful than coming here to argue point by point with anonymous forum users.
Old 29-06-2024, 06:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

For the record, I am not 'too good for the VTTP'! Apologies if I had given off the wrong vibe. I am disgusting, pathetic, absolute trash. Why is kind of why I cannot afford to be dragged down even further by more missteps.
Not the OP but this is pure nonsense lol

1. being a "SWE" isn't about knowing leetcode, no idea what gave you that impression, any moron can pick up python and grind LC, does that make them "SWE"? nope. only when you have an actual dev job then you're a "SWE". don't loosely throw titles like that pls, you don't have a tech job, you're not a "SWE" so step off your high horse.

2. Yaya you need to stop being cringe and go with the "fk I AM STUPID I AM USELESS" nonsense defense strategy everytime someone calls you out on your nonsense. just admit your mistakes and move on? why tf you need to constantly crap on yourself every time just to counter-argue?

imagine this

you: no, that's wrong, this is right
someone: nope, this is correct, here's proof
you: oh sorry i am disgusting, stupid, pathetic, you should step on me
someone: ??? simi lj?

that's the impression you give. learn to work on that. otherwise 100% no company wants you and if you ever get into any team, 99% ur whole team will hate working with you.