HR-related Jobs - How much are you earning? - Page 29 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

HR-related Jobs - How much are you earning?

Old 26-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clo View Post
I just quit my job and one of the reasons is that it'll be irrelevant to the degree im going to graduate with. So I would want take this 3 years or so to rack up some relevant working exp.

tbh this is a super lame reason to quit your job.

Quote:
If I want to work in a management consulting firm or doing recruiting or a consultant when I do graduate and climbing the corporate ladder...What kind of jobs should I go into to do some groundwork and have a bit of edge from the fresh grads when I do graduate?
LOL not trying to be insulting here, but you can wait long long to join a management consultancy with just a IT diploma...

diploma hr jobs are usually those clerk/administrator type like hr assistant, staffing co-ordinator, training administrator etc. not much value in climbing corp ladder if you ask me

as for consulting, probably only those super low level ones like recruit express, manpower, addecco etc will accept diploma, but then their jobs are mostly telemarketing

Old 26-07-2012, 09:57 PM

cbee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clo View Post
I'm 22 and I have a dip in IT. I'm taking my UOL-BIZ degree(pt) now. I just quit my job and one of the reasons is that it'll be irrelevant to the degree im going to graduate with. So I would want take this 3 years or so to rack up some relevant working exp.

I'm good with people, strong verbal communication skills, detail-oriented and willing to do "sai kang" job if it looks good in my resume for the benefit of my future.

If I want to work in a management consulting firm or doing recruiting or a consultant when I do graduate and climbing the corporate ladder...What kind of jobs should I go into to do some groundwork and have a bit of edge from the fresh grads when I do graduate?
My advice is to study full-time and complete your degree first. Concurrently, you should look for internships in relevant consulting firms, starting from the least popular ones. The more popular ones would be fiercely vied for by local university students and sometimes even they may not get in.

Recruitment consultants are largely a sales job. Anyone can do it, as long as they bring the numbers in. So your career goals here are quite divergent. You might want to take a step back and evaluate what exactly you're looking out for.

Lastly, everyone in this line is good with people, has excellent communication skills, and always willing to give it their all. But the true test comes when you're expected to stay past midnight in office whenever your project deadlines are near and your boss doesn't see eye to eye with what you're proposing and just won't give clearance of your work and you're starting to wonder when was the last time you left office before 8pm. Think twice before moving into consulting.

Old 27-07-2012, 12:05 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

tbh this is a super lame reason to quit your job.

LOL not trying to be insulting here, but you can wait long long to join a management consultancy with just a IT diploma...

diploma hr jobs are usually those clerk/administrator type like hr assistant, staffing co-ordinator, training administrator etc. not much value in climbing corp ladder if you ask me

as for consulting, probably only those super low level ones like recruit express, manpower, addecco etc will accept diploma, but then their jobs are mostly telemarketing

Not to be insulting, but hello jerkwad! Did you even read what I wrote? Did I say I want to join a management consultancy with an IT diploma?? Even I laughed at that because that will be stupid. And also at you...But I don't mean to be insulting.

You think you're so smart judging people on what a "lame decision" I made to quit my job. Do you even know what job was I working as? It won't contribute anything to what I'm going to do, and honestly I don't think it's "lame". Also, it being an irrelevant is one of the factors, not a deciding one. At 22 years old, I shouldn't be settling with job with absolutely no career prospect and sit on my lazy ass and not do anything about it. With that job, I will get 2.8k in 10 years time if I'm lucky. Also, my UOL-BIZ degree won't be much of a use there when I do graduate. So it'll be a useless piece of paper.

I've heard and read about UOL grads getting decent salary on various HR positions, so I would think it's possible to hold decent HR positions when I do grad. Not that I'm expecting to be business partner or anything, not that naive but just a hr career path where I won't be stuck on a post with no career progression.

I repeat, I have 3 years which I can make use of as I'm studying part-time, to get myself some useful exposure in this industry and maybe in 3 years time hopefully I will have a clearer view of the specifics I want to do in HR and set better career goals then. Or if I'm even cut out to be in the industry.

Old 27-07-2012, 12:37 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbee View Post
My advice is to study full-time and complete your degree first. Concurrently, you should look for internships in relevant consulting firms, starting from the least popular ones. The more popular ones would be fiercely vied for by local university students and sometimes even they may not get in.

Recruitment consultants are largely a sales job. Anyone can do it, as long as they bring the numbers in. So your career goals here are quite divergent. You might want to take a step back and evaluate what exactly you're looking out for.

Lastly, everyone in this line is good with people, has excellent communication skills, and always willing to give it their all. But the true test comes when you're expected to stay past midnight in office whenever your project deadlines are near and your boss doesn't see eye to eye with what you're proposing and just won't give clearance of your work and you're starting to wonder when was the last time you left office before 8pm. Think twice before moving into consulting.

Hi, thanks for your honest, non-condescending and helpful reply!

I was thinking the same too, internships in relevant consulting firms. A no-name one of course, lest anyone here thinks I'm too ambitious. No worries guys, I'm not going to cold call McKinsey or Bain.

But I have a question, why do you think I should study full-time instead of part-time?

I know what you mean, when I hear people described themselves as that, I roll my eyes too.The only selling points I have currently are my prestigious IT diploma hah, I'm learning to speak Spanish, French and Mandarin fluently(not all at the same time), an active volunteer for non-profit organisations and I'm well-traveled and did I mention I'm gorgeous with great breasts(kidding).

Thanks again for your suggestion, yes internships will be one of the options I shall consider.
Old 27-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Not to be insulting, but hello jerkwad! Did you even read what I wrote? Did I say I want to join a management consultancy with an IT diploma?? Even I laughed at that because that will be stupid. And also at you...But I don't mean to be insulting.

You think you're so smart judging people on what a "lame decision" I made to quit my job. Do you even know what job was I working as? It won't contribute anything to what I'm going to do, and honestly I don't think it's "lame". Also, it being an irrelevant is one of the factors, not a deciding one. At 22 years old, I shouldn't be settling with job with absolutely no career prospect and sit on my lazy ass and not do anything about it. With that job, I will get 2.8k in 10 years time if I'm lucky. Also, my UOL-BIZ degree won't be much of a use there when I do graduate. So it'll be a useless piece of paper.
So much for the claim of "I'm good with people, strong verbal communication skills".

Just casual observer hor don't flame me please, but if you are going to react so negatively to a slightly harsh online anoynomous posting, maybe you should not join hr.

There will be far more in the face insults you get from candidates & employees in the future as hr. This is very mild already.
Old 27-07-2012, 02:32 PM
pencil

Quote:

I was thinking the same too, internships in relevant consulting firms. A no-name one of course, lest anyone here thinks I'm too ambitious. No worries guys, I'm not going to cold call McKinsey or Bain.

But I have a question, why do you think I should study full-time instead of part-time?

I know what you mean, when I hear people described themselves as that, I roll my eyes too.The only selling points I have currently are my prestigious IT diploma hah, I'm learning to speak Spanish, French and Mandarin fluently(not all at the same time), an active volunteer for non-profit organisations and I'm well-traveled and did I mention I'm gorgeous with great breasts(kidding).

Thanks again for your suggestion, yes internships will be one of the options I shall consider.
I don't think its realistic to hope for an internship in any management consultancy firm, even the smaller ones. There are so many NUS/NTU/SMU undergrads and sometimes even graduates who are willing to intern for free/low pay yet cannot get in.

My take is that anyone who suggest otherwise or imply that you have a chance for an internship in such consultancies with only a IT diploma while studying pt are clueless and sending you on a wild goose chase.

If you will really want to build up your hr credentials, it's better to join a decent MNC as an officer/asst level hr generalist. Then you can gain some exp in the 3 years while waiting to graduate. Then hopefully can convert into hr executive.

As for recruitment agents, they belong to sales and not hr. Such exp will not help much in moving to a corp hr role in the future.

Old 27-07-2012, 02:48 PM

cbee is on a distinguished road

Quote:

What is the timeline difference between studying part-time and full-time? Could you complete the degree faster if you are taking full-time? Being gorgeous with great breasts might help a little I guess.
Old 27-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Unregistered

I'm posting this here because I know alot of HR experts will probably browse this topic.

As a rule of thumb, are we (job seekers) expected to negotiate salary after the first offer?

I've change jobs about 3-4 times now. Currently an AVP at a wholesale bank. I've always accepted the first offer.

Usually, my interviews are always with business but it is the HR that presents the offer letter to me. HR always tell me that salary is not negotiable when I ask them if the pay offer is fixed.
Old 27-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
So much for the claim of "I'm good with people, strong verbal communication skills".

Just casual observer hor don't flame me please, but if you are going to react so negatively to a slightly harsh online anoynomous posting, maybe you should not join hr.

There will be far more in the face insults you get from candidates & employees in the future as hr. This is very mild already.
Of course I know you will say that. Typical. But hearing insults IN THE FACE from my EMPLOYERS are part and parcel of the worklife, instead of an insult from an ONLINE ANONYMOUS person who thinks he's better than others without some sort of credentials to prove is dumb. Why will anyone subject themselves to insults from that??

Yeah you may or may not be educated but that wouldn't matter because you're typical, condescending, egoistic ape but don't blame me, I'm just being a casual observer.

I communicated strongly and I AM amazing with people, but you're not one.
Old 27-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil View Post
I don't think its realistic to hope for an internship in any management consultancy firm, even the smaller ones. There are so many NUS/NTU/SMU undergrads and sometimes even graduates who are willing to intern for free/low pay yet cannot get in.

My take is that anyone who suggest otherwise or imply that you have a chance for an internship in such consultancies with only a IT diploma while studying pt are clueless and sending you on a wild goose chase.

If you will really want to build up your hr credentials, it's better to join a decent MNC as an officer/asst level hr generalist. Then you can gain some exp in the 3 years while waiting to graduate. Then hopefully can convert into hr executive.

As for recruitment agents, they belong to sales and not hr. Such exp will not help much in moving to a corp hr role in the future.
Thanks, will look into that too. an entry level HR generalist.