Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - HR-related Jobs - How much are you earning?
View Single Post
Old 26-07-2012, 09:57 PM

cbee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clo View Post
I'm 22 and I have a dip in IT. I'm taking my UOL-BIZ degree(pt) now. I just quit my job and one of the reasons is that it'll be irrelevant to the degree im going to graduate with. So I would want take this 3 years or so to rack up some relevant working exp.

I'm good with people, strong verbal communication skills, detail-oriented and willing to do "sai kang" job if it looks good in my resume for the benefit of my future.

If I want to work in a management consulting firm or doing recruiting or a consultant when I do graduate and climbing the corporate ladder...What kind of jobs should I go into to do some groundwork and have a bit of edge from the fresh grads when I do graduate?
My advice is to study full-time and complete your degree first. Concurrently, you should look for internships in relevant consulting firms, starting from the least popular ones. The more popular ones would be fiercely vied for by local university students and sometimes even they may not get in.

Recruitment consultants are largely a sales job. Anyone can do it, as long as they bring the numbers in. So your career goals here are quite divergent. You might want to take a step back and evaluate what exactly you're looking out for.

Lastly, everyone in this line is good with people, has excellent communication skills, and always willing to give it their all. But the true test comes when you're expected to stay past midnight in office whenever your project deadlines are near and your boss doesn't see eye to eye with what you're proposing and just won't give clearance of your work and you're starting to wonder when was the last time you left office before 8pm. Think twice before moving into consulting.