Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - HR-related Jobs - How much are you earning?
View Single Post
Old 27-07-2012, 12:37 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbee View Post
My advice is to study full-time and complete your degree first. Concurrently, you should look for internships in relevant consulting firms, starting from the least popular ones. The more popular ones would be fiercely vied for by local university students and sometimes even they may not get in.

Recruitment consultants are largely a sales job. Anyone can do it, as long as they bring the numbers in. So your career goals here are quite divergent. You might want to take a step back and evaluate what exactly you're looking out for.

Lastly, everyone in this line is good with people, has excellent communication skills, and always willing to give it their all. But the true test comes when you're expected to stay past midnight in office whenever your project deadlines are near and your boss doesn't see eye to eye with what you're proposing and just won't give clearance of your work and you're starting to wonder when was the last time you left office before 8pm. Think twice before moving into consulting.

Hi, thanks for your honest, non-condescending and helpful reply!

I was thinking the same too, internships in relevant consulting firms. A no-name one of course, lest anyone here thinks I'm too ambitious. No worries guys, I'm not going to cold call McKinsey or Bain.

But I have a question, why do you think I should study full-time instead of part-time?

I know what you mean, when I hear people described themselves as that, I roll my eyes too.The only selling points I have currently are my prestigious IT diploma hah, I'm learning to speak Spanish, French and Mandarin fluently(not all at the same time), an active volunteer for non-profit organisations and I'm well-traveled and did I mention I'm gorgeous with great breasts(kidding).

Thanks again for your suggestion, yes internships will be one of the options I shall consider.