HR-related Jobs - How much are you earning? - Page 28 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

HR-related Jobs - How much are you earning?

Old 25-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Unregistered

I think he means management consultancies, not recruit agents...

Old 11-07-2012, 11:23 AM

ccoollyack is on a distinguished road

Hi all, I am currently an undergraduate who is working through my BBA, majoring in HR and Management. I will want to move into the HR field, but right now i wish to extend my networks, and get to learn more about the different functions e.g. C&B, T&D etc.

As i was reading through the responses, I find that the HRBP route is more suitable for me, as I understand the move into C&B will require a strong finance background (which I do not have and not very good in). It does appear to me that moving into HR, it will definitely be better off if you are able to be referred into the company, rather than starting at an executive/associate position.

With the other option of T&D, what will be the specific skill-set and/or competencies that one should have to do well in it? May it be soft skills or academic qualifications?

What are some of the other moves aside from the usual talk of having good grades, doing internships, be confident and prepared during interviews, and having networks to be able to do decently well (I'm hoping to look at at least $3000 as starting pay, and be able to move towards a strategic role in 10 - 15 years time as a AVP or director level).

Personally I would want to be able to enact or initiate/lead change in the company, and having the autonomy to propose and lead teams on projects to improve the company's org. structuring when I am able to reach that role. Day to day mundane administrative work is definitely not going to be appealing to me 10 years down the road.

To do so, what will be the best career path and progression within the HR field?

Thanks for any constructive advice, and I will also gladly receive any feedback if it is sounding too naive etc.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoollyack View Post
What are some of the other moves aside from the usual talk of having good grades, doing internships, be confident and prepared during interviews, and having networks to be able to do decently well (I'm hoping to look at at least $3000 as starting pay, and be able to move towards a strategic role in 10 - 15 years time as a AVP or director level).

Personally I would want to be able to enact or initiate/lead change in the company, and having the autonomy to propose and lead teams on projects to improve the company's org. structuring when I am able to reach that role. Day to day mundane administrative work is definitely not going to be appealing to me 10 years down the road.

To do so, what will be the best career path and progression within the HR field?
First off, your goals are too ambitious. While it is good to have high goals, they should be achievable. First off, it is not realistic to expect to reach Director level in 10 odd years. Most high performing HR people can reach at most Senior Manager or Senior Business Partner (16 – 20k monthly) in 10+ years, that’s already very aggressive. Short of participating in cronyism in some family owned company, that ain’t gonna happen in a MNC.

Some companies take the short cut out by inflating titles to placate leaving staff. A lot of people are going around with Directors and VP titles but have neither the pay nor authority to back it up. Do not set your expectations based on this nonsense.

As for strategic roles, the truly strategic roles are few and far between and are usually very senior in the organization. Do not fall for fancy job advertisements that promise “strategic initiatives” or “champion change”. As a rule of thumb, any job that pays less than 20k basic salary is a joke to be considered as strategic.

If you are keen to cheong your career in HR, the fastest and most effective way is to join a large management consultancy firm, stay on for 5 years and make the switch into a global or regional Business Partner. This might get you to Senior Manager level in 10-15 years, but very unlikely can reach Director.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:29 PM

ccoollyack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
First off, your goals are too ambitious. While it is good to have high goals, they should be achievable. First off, it is not realistic to expect to reach Director level in 10 odd years. Most high performing HR people can reach at most Senior Manager or Senior Business Partner (16 – 20k monthly) in 10+ years, that’s already very aggressive. Short of participating in cronyism in some family owned company, that ain’t gonna happen in a MNC.

Some companies take the short cut out by inflating titles to placate leaving staff. A lot of people are going around with Directors and VP titles but have neither the pay nor authority to back it up. Do not set your expectations based on this nonsense.

As for strategic roles, the truly strategic roles are few and far between and are usually very senior in the organization. Do not fall for fancy job advertisements that promise “strategic initiatives” or “champion change”. As a rule of thumb, any job that pays less than 20k basic salary is a joke to be considered as strategic.

If you are keen to cheong your career in HR, the fastest and most effective way is to join a large management consultancy firm, stay on for 5 years and make the switch into a global or regional Business Partner. This might get you to Senior Manager level in 10-15 years, but very unlikely can reach Director.

Hi thanks for the comment. I do understand the current situation surrounding the problems with flamboyant job titles that do not reflect the true job nature. While pay is definitely an important aspect, I do wish that within 10 years I can at least bring back $10-$12k per month, and be able to work in a job that is beyond the ad nauseum administrative work.

Well of course to enter the big 3 in MC is far from an easy task. In terms of grades mine ain't fantastic at all, working experience I am just currently having my 1st internship, with 2 more years of school to go. While I hope that I can expand on my networks, I am still thinking about the specific industry to work in, if I exclude the possibly unrealistic goal of working in the big 3. Any advice? Thanks
Old 13-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoollyack View Post
Hi thanks for the comment. I do understand the current situation surrounding the problems with flamboyant job titles that do not reflect the true job nature. While pay is definitely an important aspect, I do wish that within 10 years I can at least bring back $10-$12k per month, and be able to work in a job that is beyond the ad nauseum administrative work.

Well of course to enter the big 3 in MC is far from an easy task. In terms of grades mine ain't fantastic at all, working experience I am just currently having my 1st internship, with 2 more years of school to go. While I hope that I can expand on my networks, I am still thinking about the specific industry to work in, if I exclude the possibly unrealistic goal of working in the big 3. Any advice? Thanks
10-12k is roughly a mid-low BP pay, so 10 years to get there is theoretically possible. But like they always say, anyobody can set whatever goal they like, but do you have what it takes to deliver?

TBH if your grades are no good and have no high profile internship it really is quite hard to get into business partnering straight away. Besides going for management consultancies, the only other realistic route is to take up a management program with a reputable MNC. In this case you will short cut the need to slog through ops/admin for 15+ years. But then competition is super tough as such positions are few.

Sorry can't really help you there. BP & compensation is the highest paid position in HR (think of them as FO in a bank) and like all other high flying careers, you will need to have strong credentials to beat off the competition.
Old 13-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Unregistered

dont really understand the term management consultancy firm. any examples?

Old 13-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Unregistered

Same old story again...

Average result, average uni, no connections, normal internships fresh grads don't want to get their hands dirty and dreaming of getting into jobs that pay big bucks.
Old 19-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Joeanne

Hi all, i have a dip in IT & currently pursuing a part time BSc in HRM (with hons) at a pte uni..i'm looking for a full time job as hr admin/hr asst & would like to do payroll in the future..i'm wondering how much starting pay should i ask for? would companies pay me based on my dip or degree? i only have few mths of admin & 1 yr of ops coordinator (both non-hr related) experience..

if i work in a company that do everything manually (don't use HRIS only paymaster)..in future when i want to work in another company that uses HRIS/SAP/or other payroll softwares..would my exp be useless lyk give me a disadvantage?

how to get a hr asst/exec job in an MNC (seldom see them post for this position)? wat other industries are good?

sorry for asking so many questions & naive ones..would really appreicate it if ur can give me any advice..thanks in advance!
Old 20-07-2012, 09:40 AM
bequita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeanne View Post
Hi all, i have a dip in IT & currently pursuing a part time BSc in HRM (with hons) at a pte uni..i'm looking for a full time job as hr admin/hr asst & would like to do payroll in the future..i'm wondering how much starting pay should i ask for? would companies pay me based on my dip or degree? i only have few mths of admin & 1 yr of ops coordinator (both non-hr related) experience..

if i work in a company that do everything manually (don't use HRIS only paymaster)..in future when i want to work in another company that uses HRIS/SAP/or other payroll softwares..would my exp be useless lyk give me a disadvantage?

how to get a hr asst/exec job in an MNC (seldom see them post for this position)? wat other industries are good?

sorry for asking so many questions & naive ones..would really appreicate it if ur can give me any advice..thanks in advance!
For admin hr positions, it doesn’t matter. I don’t think companies care as long as you have some tertiary education and decent communication skill.

In terms of pay hr asst is ard 1.6-1.8k. If you want to do payroll, the platforms are about the same (paymaster, EPE, SAP, PS, zapper, converge etc. not much difference) so should be ok.

I think it makes more sense to get your pte deg first then apply for an hr admin executive job, like that easier to get 2-2.2k for part time deg. Also to let u know, payroll in bigger companies usually have peak period every month, so u must be prepared to stay very late about 1.5weeks every month.
Old 26-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Clo

I'm 22 and I have a dip in IT. I'm taking my UOL-BIZ degree(pt) now. I just quit my job and one of the reasons is that it'll be irrelevant to the degree im going to graduate with. So I would want take this 3 years or so to rack up some relevant working exp.

I'm good with people, strong verbal communication skills, detail-oriented and willing to do "sai kang" job if it looks good in my resume for the benefit of my future.

If I want to work in a management consulting firm or doing recruiting or a consultant when I do graduate and climbing the corporate ladder...What kind of jobs should I go into to do some groundwork and have a bit of edge from the fresh grads when I do graduate?