Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it)

Old 03-03-2019, 08:31 PM
Unregistered

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambition View Post
what does CEP look like? is it 7, 8, 9, or it mx 11a 12, 14, or div II, III?

HR is very tight-lipped about CEP, sends the message that DXO should just be a farmer and not be ambitious. Yet when talking about promotions, they are very excited to talk about the opportunity to seek opportunities through the system.

to me, it means, u can play around when u r sian, but don't think of climbing.

Since this forum is anonymous, please, advise. I appreciate it.
let me shed a little light here. CEP is your 'endpoint' based on your performance. for example, LHL is destined to be a general and minister due to his performance and qualifications. if your CEP is to be a LTC, then they will promote you accordingly during your career..unless you exceed performance in the middle.. your CEP will not change. so you are expected a promotion within certain years. for DXOs, there isnt a CEP per se, but im sure they are able to estimate...

reason why they mentioned DXO is farmer. first, DXO careers paths are not planned out for us like for military personnel. DXO gets to choose our own paths. meaning, if there is an opening for DX13 post, and if im interested as a DX9, i can apply for it. getting it or not is another qn... you need to pass a higher level interview but ive seen DX10 applying for DX12 and getting it.. double promotion.and im sure thats why HR told you DXO is farmer.. cause if you dont seek your own opportunities.. you can stay DX10 your whole life.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:42 PM
Unregistered

Cool

Quote:
Since this forum is anonymous I think people are more willing to be share.

I see a lot of mention of mx12, mx14.. Is this mx after dx, or is this the CEP grade?

How is CEP graded (div II III, mx 11a mx 14, grade 7 8 9....)and what is the range to be considered good for farmers with pass degree with solid relevant experience for the job

I understand that dx grade means room for growth. So some jobs are dx9, some dx9-10. However I also read that appointment means dollars n cents. Grade is superficial. What does appointment mean. Does it mean a team leader at dx9b gets more than a farmer at dx9p? So there is clearly an allowance if you volunteer for all the extra responsibilities? Or simple means PB is more?

I am hungry to do well despite many slamming the system, HR refuses to answer but I need direction and goal. Basically HR is sending a signal that farmers should not have goals n aims, just take salary n be happy.

Degree holder no honours with around 10 years of relevant experience. Under 40 yo with NS. Thank you for the quality advice.
same guy here. i will just say appointment doesnt get you more money. example, i can be appointed as a OC of a unit.. as compared to another guy who is appointed staff officer of HQ.. both are DX9.. but we still draw the same pay scale.. though OC is a command appointment which is 'higher' appointment. i think your info slightly wrong. DX9B and DX9P definitely have different salaries. i think you you meant is DX9P can be paid more than DX10S.. which is possible. cause they overlap. PB is only determined by performance.. not rank. no extra allowance just because you are in higher appointment.

to do well, just keep performing. thats all. if you are good, bosses can see it and you can apply for higher appointments. else, be a farmer for 200-300 increment a year until ceiling is hit.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:09 AM
Ambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
let me shed a little light here. CEP is your 'endpoint' based on your performance. for example, LHL is destined to be a general and minister due to his performance and qualifications. if your CEP is to be a LTC, then they will promote you accordingly during your career..unless you exceed performance in the middle.. your CEP will not change. so you are expected a promotion within certain years. for DXOs, there isnt a CEP per se, but im sure they are able to estimate...

reason why they mentioned DXO is farmer. first, DXO careers paths are not planned out for us like for military personnel. DXO gets to choose our own paths. meaning, if there is an opening for DX13 post, and if im interested as a DX9, i can apply for it. getting it or not is another qn... you need to pass a higher level interview but ive seen DX10 applying for DX12 and getting it.. double promotion.and im sure thats why HR told you DXO is farmer.. cause if you dont seek your own opportunities.. you can stay DX10 your whole life.
Appreciate this much buddy.

They didn't say DXO is a farmer but it made me feel rather disappointed that it's so vague, like there's nothing positive to say.

If the system is like this, means I don't have to really excel in my job? I only need to impress my next boss sufficiently, to move up? But in reality of course bosses do chat over coffee and inform your next boss you are great/ok/cmi. Maybe that's why some suggest that curry favour is important.

Buddy can i further enquiry, there's some rumours that in the first year ONLY, one can jump from dx9 to dx 10, do you have any concept of this?

Old 04-03-2019, 07:38 AM
Unregistered

Cool

Quote:
Appreciate this much buddy.

They didn't say DXO is a farmer but it made me feel rather disappointed that it's so vague, like there's nothing positive to say.

If the system is like this, means I don't have to really excel in my job? I only need to impress my next boss sufficiently, to move up? But in reality of course bosses do chat over coffee and inform your next boss you are great/ok/cmi. Maybe that's why some suggest that curry favour is important.

Buddy can i further enquiry, there's some rumours that in the first year ONLY, one can jump from dx9 to dx 10, do you have any concept of this?
i not sure about other units or communities culture, but i have seen DXOs that wants to promote and do well and those that are happy with status quo. people that wants to do well tend to seek improvements in work processes and do extra work like projects or secondary appointments. those status quo people will be just happy with their primary job. no right or wrong... some has family, some cant OT. in ranking, all bosses will discuss.. so not just only your boss. you need to provide 'bullets' for your boss to help you. curry favour... not really.. cause in reality, what you do is there for all to see. of course, being likable wont do you any harm.

not sure where you heard that from... jump from DX9 to DX10 depends on your experience, ranking and performance. i know there certain criteria to jump to DX10. some communities are faster than the others, promotion wise. and btw in the first year.. your ranking is default C. you cant promote with just 1 year service. we are not LHL!
Old 04-03-2019, 10:19 AM
Ambition

Quote:
i not sure about other units or communities culture, but i have seen DXOs that wants to promote and do well and those that are happy with status quo. people that wants to do well tend to seek improvements in work processes and do extra work like projects or secondary appointments. those status quo people will be just happy with their primary job. no right or wrong... some has family, some cant OT. in ranking, all bosses will discuss.. so not just only your boss. you need to provide 'bullets' for your boss to help you. curry favour... not really.. cause in reality, what you do is there for all to see. of course, being likable wont do you any harm.

not sure where you heard that from... jump from DX9 to DX10 depends on your experience, ranking and performance. i know there certain criteria to jump to DX10. some communities are faster than the others, promotion wise. and btw in the first year.. your ranking is default C. you cant promote with just 1 year service. we are not LHL!
Thanks buddy appreciate you taking time to advise. Is this ranking intra dept, or inter the unit? I find it unfortunate if a unit has 3 dxo and each year they all know who will get A, B and C already.

If first year default C, those people who start in Jan are lucky due to longer runway and those who start in June are shortchanged.

I kind of like this system of self fulfillment as a DXO. It seems that those who want to rise must seek opportunities, and those who are happy just quietly do their work. However I am sure that there must be problems too. I heard from an ex uniformed officer, that he got his A grade by doing work outside his responsibilities, no point excelling in work in his primary job scope. This is very interesting to me. I guess it translates into getting appointment and doing well in them?

For dxo does appointment really translate into dollars monthly? Or does it mean dollars in terms of bonus pegged to A grade? So if I'm a dx9p, my salary can be equal to status quo dx10 if I take up many challenges?

Thank you for your advice.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:12 PM
Ambition

Default Thanks

Quote:

Thanks, dunno what happened my reply is taking forever to be released by the mod.

Do you know, is ranking within the dept or within camp or all the DXO in SG?

Appointment is grabbed by the person themselves, or the boss will arrow to test your ability? I am quite a go-getter who wants to give back to public service. I am wondering if I must highlight my willingness to excel to my commander. My limited understanding of SAF is very top down. So if i must go to the top, then at least I won't waste time trying to impress my RO who maybe... Is not an achiever in the first place.

I heard from friends that if your reservist is all reservist, no regulars, it will be a culture shock when observe the regulars. It is as though entered another country under military law. First obey the laws, then do the job decently. Not do the job well and try to skirt around the laws as in corporate.

May I know what was the last known PB for C grade? Got 1.5 month?

Thank you for the replies

Old 06-03-2019, 03:54 PM
MEs curious

Default Enquiry on ME

Anyone knows of promotion wise for Military Experts?

Do they accept private degrees holders who have years of experience on cybersecurity and programming knowledge?
Old 06-03-2019, 04:26 PM
Ambition

Default private degrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEs curious View Post
Anyone knows of promotion wise for Military Experts?

Do they accept private degrees holders who have years of experience on cybersecurity and programming knowledge?
hearsay.

HR has a list of ok private degree and not ok private degree. this list changes and is confidential. Just apply. They take forever, so kickstart the process and let MINDEF accept/reject you, don't overthink. The worst that can happen, is they inform you that you are accepted as a very experienced DIP holder, then you can politely walk away unless the estimated salary is better or on par with than what you are getting now. (rarely)

Uniformed personnel usually get paid 20% above DXO due to combat readiness, even higher, if your degree has honours. I doubt a private degree has honours.

promotion: no idea.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:42 PM
Ambition

Quote:
same guy here. i will just say appointment doesnt get you more money. example, i can be appointed as a OC of a unit.. as compared to another guy who is appointed staff officer of HQ.. both are DX9.. but we still draw the same pay scale.. though OC is a command appointment which is 'higher' appointment. i think your info slightly wrong. DX9B and DX9P definitely have different salaries. i think you you meant is DX9P can be paid more than DX10S.. which is possible. cause they overlap. PB is only determined by performance.. not rank. no extra allowance just because you are in higher appointment.

to do well, just keep performing. thats all. if you are good, bosses can see it and you can apply for higher appointments. else, be a farmer for 200-300 increment a year until ceiling is hit.
Appreciate the time taken to write it.

So, appointment in simple English means, to take up more projects to earn points, and doing well in them to earn even more points. When there's enough points accumulated, the bosses will have ammunition to fight for your promotion (eg 9S -> 9P, P is higher than S right) , which translates into higher salary scale in less time, and remaining the the middle of salary range.

I was wondering why there's so many comments that Dx9 can/may earn equal to Dx10, is it because this DX9 has no projects to impress and be promoted, but paid close to ceiling due to mandatory increments? (as you mentioned)

In this case the high paid Dx9 is at the ceiling and avg paid Dx10 is at the lower end of the spectrum? Big fish in small pond vs small fish in ocean? I assume for go-getter the ocean is a better place.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:09 AM
Unregistered

Cool

Quote:
Thanks buddy appreciate you taking time to advise. Is this ranking intra dept, or inter the unit? I find it unfortunate if a unit has 3 dxo and each year they all know who will get A, B and C already.

If first year default C, those people who start in Jan are lucky due to longer runway and those who start in June are shortchanged.

I kind of like this system of self fulfillment as a DXO. It seems that those who want to rise must seek opportunities, and those who are happy just quietly do their work. However I am sure that there must be problems too. I heard from an ex uniformed officer, that he got his A grade by doing work outside his responsibilities, no point excelling in work in his primary job scope. This is very interesting to me. I guess it translates into getting appointment and doing well in them?

For dxo does appointment really translate into dollars monthly? Or does it mean dollars in terms of bonus pegged to A grade? So if I'm a dx9p, my salary can be equal to status quo dx10 if I take up many challenges?

Thank you for your advice.
yup. the systems seems to think in most cases, everyone is equal in their primary roles. so they save time during ranking boards by just looking at the extras. personally i dont agree with such approach.. but this is the current culture in MINDEF. example.. if you are someone holding a appt in NDP or more recently RSAF 50. a national event, you are more 'favoured'. this is the way it is. even though you might have a project which is 10 times more time consuming, you might still lose out due to prestige.. its sad.

like i mentioned, appointment doesnt matter.. they pay by rank. only difference is during performance grading.. those that get A will have higher bonus.. thats all.