Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment

Old 26-12-2023, 04:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Dunno why yall so stressed. Just do bare minimum la. Peak coming right, go for 8-6. Shut laptop and phone at 6pm sharp. They also can’t do anything to you. Think they will fire you during peak when they can’t even find replacement meh. Just make sure you have a back up plan before the yearly appraisal and promotion comes. These few months just shake leg collect paycheck only lol.
It those who talk like this who are the one who are chionging even on holiday

Old 26-12-2023, 04:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Dont make me laugh.
If you can mean JHK also can
S1 is garbage.

Old 26-12-2023, 04:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Just so you know, if you think going to a big 4 will be a stepping stone, you are wrong.
It doesn't get you anywhere the big 4 JHK can't get there themselves. We have so many JHK ex auditors that the stepping stone is already the norm.

If you are an accountancy student, go for job interviews that isn't all accounting related from the start. Never step foot here in the first place. Your skills are not valuable. Even if u think they are valuable, it doesnt pay well.

If u want to have an accountancy background, study ACCA part time and join mid tier or big 4 if u want. Spend your 3 years uni studying something else if possible. Because why study Accountancy in NTU when third world JHK from tunku, sunway, multimedia kampong uni in malaysia, ACCA, are working along side with you?
Wise words sir.
Plus acra and isca support to pwn your ntu nus smu accountancy cert. Oh, thanks for making SG a accountancy hub with no quality.

Old 26-12-2023, 04:56 PM
Unregistered

you go big 4 for branding, and then what?

I tell you, when you come out, your options are accountant (90% is JHK inside) and u post double entry all your life, every month you have to deal with closing, every year you have to deal with auditors. And if your company poor internal controls, your closing will be more difficult because those AR/ AP executive (100% is JHK or auntie) with no degree or half acca, anyhow post one. You think u can become FM if you stay long? It is traumatizing, especially if the CFO is incompetent.

If you go IA, its so niche that there isn't much exit opportunities even if you have that experience. And only big companies require IA. If you dont have SOX reporting exposure during your big 4 years, you lose out even more.

Don't tell me you suddenly can become consultant or what ****, it doesn't work that way. Audit is low value. Just because you get to see the whole financial chain, doesn't mean it justifies your high salary as an accountant. Those companies would rather hire a cheap SME JHK accountant and not you. You don't have commercial experience, you don't know how to use accounting system.

You can try farm your way to be audit manager, and you leave then what?
You think every company need how many FM? even if you become FM, that is where sh1t begins. You have to deal with incompetent JHK in commercial. Culture is toxic as small firm people less educated and think you owe them money. They don't take pride in their work.

Don't make the same mistake as me.
Local students, think twice before you join the big 4. There is no more prestige as it used to be. Exit opportunities are less, especially since the previous batch of JHK have filled those exiting places by now. Salary have been low balled all the way from audit to commercial.

Do you think Singapore CA is of value? Its so new and uptake is so little. Do you think the 80% of JHK in big 4 has CA? yet they can still promote to manager. Why spend the next 3 years studying for CA while managing your big 4 commitments? The CA title doesn't even increase your salary for godsake. Got CA title already every year need to pay membership fee lol. Firm don't even pay for your exam fees (>1k per paper) unless you pass the exam.

If you are a girl, be ready to age 5 years just by doing audit for 2 years. Lack of sleep, lack of social life, lack of time for hobbies, you will be doing work during weekends throughout the year (unless you meet some insanely hardworking and competent senior). You can't even apply leave from Jan to June. If you were to go on holidays, you are sometimes expected to bring your laptop. I lost my identity by being in a big 4 for 4 years.
I had to suck up to malaysian seniors during my associate years. 9 out of 10 times, these malaysians will overload you so that they can chill and go back Msia on weekends. Just open your work allocation and you'd know. Your manager doesn't care to even review if the workload is fair, they just want work done. And you cannot afford to piss of these seniors as they will either badmouth u to the manager for being difficult to deal with. You'd risk your promotions and bonus during appraisals.

The only way you can fix that is to not join a big 4. Your life gets worst as you promote.
Dont waste your life away like i did. Watching as my parents grow older while I OT everyday from 9 to 2am. And mind you, there is no difference between peak and off peak period now as manpower shortage can change your off peak to a peak. If u care about your own mental health and body, dont start at a big 4. If you care about getting married or have a love life, dont start at a big 4. If you spend your youth grinding for little gains since exit opportunities are low now, you will never meet your significant other.
Old 26-12-2023, 05:17 PM
Unregistered

Some people think joining the big 4, you get to network with the best minds. But let me tell you, you are wrong. 80% of new joiners are from SIT SIM and what not. Only those 2nd lower and below local uni will go big 4 because they failed to go anywhere else. So there is nothing to learn from these introverts. 100% of the experienced hires are JHK, can you imagine how they pass interviews with their atrocious english? Thats how low the bar it is to enter big 4 now. What do you have to gain from networking with them? All they do is force you to OT if not they will threaten to tell the manager. majority of the time the seniors are on teams chatting among themselves instead of actual work, that is because they over allocate out majority of the work to the fresh grads and intern. These JHK seniors don't even bother reviewing your awp before submitting to manager or partner, so you are really on your own. If you try to leave work on time, your senior will blackface and complain to manager when sh1t hits the fan. So don't expect any work life balance. These malaysians expect you u do work on weekends as well (especially if they live further up malaysia since its too inconvenient to go back). Its not that they are hardworking, its just that they have no commitments in singapore. Their sole objective is to come here and earn 3.5 to retire early. I can't say the same for you. Your exchange rate is 1:1 the highest it can ever go, your family and friends are here, your hobbies and me time are all important. So, there is no trade off by being here.
Old 26-12-2023, 05:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Dunno why yall so stressed. Just do bare minimum la. Peak coming right, go for 8-6. Shut laptop and phone at 6pm sharp. They also can’t do anything to you. Think they will fire you during peak when they can’t even find replacement meh. Just make sure you have a back up plan before the yearly appraisal and promotion comes. These few months just shake leg collect paycheck only lol.
sounds like someone who is in small firm
if you wait for yearly appraisal then leave, you my as well do part time job since the length if stay is <1year
its not that they cant find replacement now, they don't bother to hire now. the quality of JHK wanting to join is too lousy with their broken english. And this coming peak is to cut the fat and make the current JHK leave and take in locals instead. so that can meet new compass EP requirement.
heard from a partner, iykyk

Old 26-12-2023, 05:59 PM
Unregistered

No wonder they say auditors are behkan beta with stockholm syndrome. Gave legit advice on how to reduce your anxiety for the upcoming peak then come say I closet chiongster la, not from big4 la. Everyday only know how to come here complain kena bully by jhk seniors and mgrs but don’t dare to open mouth say no. lol Heng limpeh last year alr zao and go commercial become mnc manager. Can’t wait to gan the jhk auditors in jan.
Old 26-12-2023, 07:54 PM
Unregistered

Sinkie in private uni can't get offer from big 3 but they take tungu multimedia sunway uni
Old 26-12-2023, 08:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Sinkie in private uni can't get offer from big 3 but they take tungu multimedia sunway uni
sinkie in private uni can get offer from big 4. seen cases
internship also have cases

tunku multimedia sunway intake usually are experienced hires
Old 26-12-2023, 08:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
No wonder they say auditors are behkan beta with stockholm syndrome. Gave legit advice on how to reduce your anxiety for the upcoming peak then come say I closet chiongster la, not from big4 la. Everyday only know how to come here complain kena bully by jhk seniors and mgrs but don’t dare to open mouth say no. lol Heng limpeh last year alr zao and go commercial become mnc manager. Can’t wait to gan the jhk auditors in jan.
I support the part where u gan the jhk auditors in jan.
dont forget to give them things only on friday, so they have to work on weekend
and accumulate things before you give them. dont give them on piecemeal basis
if they send low level associate to talk to you, and they ask toopid questions just kpkb say want see the senior, so that the senior cannot slack and eat locals.
keep rushing them to do faster so that they cannot do properly

fk those malaysians that keep coming sg to steal our rice bowl