15% pay cut from private sector to teach in Polytechnic - Page 20 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

15% pay cut from private sector to teach in Polytechnic

Old 21-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
C is underperformer. Kena once or twice is still ok, but if consecutively 3-4 times then you can forget about contract renewal once your 4/5 years is up.
thanks for the warning. what is the expected PB for C grader. Thanks for your info.

Old 21-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
am a relatively new lecturer on ax5a scale. just got graded C - can someone / old bird share, what is the expected PB? 1.5 months? am bit disappointed as put in quite a lot of effort, maybe the best grade for newcomer is C? This is my first full year performance review. Thanks in advance.
hi there. would you mind sharing your experience as a lecturer in the past year? and which poly? i am very keen to be a lecturer VS MOE teacher but unsure of the working culture of one. For your C grade, did you put in alot of effort compared to your previous job? or was it more relaxed?

Any regrets?

Old 21-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
hi there. would you mind sharing your experience as a lecturer in the past year? and which poly? i am very keen to be a lecturer VS MOE teacher but unsure of the working culture of one. For your C grade, did you put in alot of effort compared to your previous job? or was it more relaxed?

Any regrets?
its more relaxed than my prvious job and besides i like working with younger people. kids can be quite a handful sometimes. unfortunately i did put in a lot of effort by my standards. but got a c.

Old 21-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
its more relaxed than my prvious job and besides i like working with younger people. kids can be quite a handful sometimes. unfortunately i did put in a lot of effort by my standards. but got a c.

also, just a note. this C thing make me wanna go punch my boss. might tender resignation after get my PB as I just got sound by industry for an opening. problem is: a lot of traveling which i don like. sianzzz 1/2 1/2.
Old 21-03-2012, 04:53 PM

malawikigo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
also, just a note. this C thing make me wanna go punch my boss. might tender resignation after get my PB as I just got sound by industry for an opening. problem is: a lot of traveling which i don like. sianzzz 1/2 1/2.
thanks for the reply. so fast!

Oh i see...and how is the average work day like that you put in to get a C? Im asking cos currently, I put in about 8 hours daily but am on 24x7 standby, even weekends. And my performance is rated an A. Im sure in poly, they see how long you stay back wich, imo, is unfair cos at work also can idle.

I, too, like working with matured energetic minds but my main concern is the politics that are rife in sg education industry...heard horror stories among sec n pri school teachers. I dun like to deal with the politics of it all, even at my current workplace, i try to befriend everyone.

I am keen to apply to RP cos of the PBL approach. any advise?

so after a year, u wana resign BUT only cos its due to unfair treatment from management? sorry to hear that friend.
Old 21-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
thanks for the fast response!

which poly are you teaching at? and which industry are you in/teaching? b4 teaching ur salary higher or lower? i really wana seriously consider going into lecturing but want to know what i am in for as well. like in pte sector, dun like can just ciao...

Old 21-03-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I've been through a poly interview, went through to the second round, but did not get the job. Usually they will ask those very general HR-type questions, e.g. tell me about yourself, why teach at a poly, why the change of career, etc, etc. And they will tell you about the job scope, what to expect, etc, etc. They asked only a few technical and knowledge questions.
hey thanks for sharing...do you think u regret not getting the poly job? and u think u will keep trying for it?
Old 21-03-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malawikigo View Post
RP has some opening now..u should try their website...
Old 21-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by malawikigo View Post

Oh i see...and how is the average work day like that you put in to get a C? Im asking cos currently, I put in about 8 hours daily but am on 24x7 standby, even weekends. And my performance is rated an A. Im sure in poly, they see how long you stay back wich, imo, is unfair cos at work also can idle.

I, too, like working with matured energetic minds but my main concern is the politics that are rife in sg education industry...heard horror stories among sec n pri school teachers. I dun like to deal with the politics of it all, even at my current workplace, i try to befriend everyone.

so after a year, u wana resign BUT only cos its due to unfair treatment from management? sorry to hear that friend.

if u don't lke politics, and u r now doing what u like current job, and getting an A for it (means ur boss value u), don't make the move. what for? count your blessings. Yes, i like my classes, i liked my kids (even the very naughty ones, really). i enjoy piaing with them during project and competition work time. but i hate the management. ok, i hate my boss for giving me a c . that's it. management really need to get their head out of their ****. ask me go sit on this comm handle this, chair this that (stuff i hate doing) then gimme a c. wah piang. working hours.? depends on u.can stay late, can go off early, need to be smart about it. but i worked my arse off. for a c.
Old 21-03-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
if u don't lke politics, and u r now doing what u like current job, and getting an A for it (means ur boss value u), don't make the move. what for? count your blessings. Yes, i like my classes, i liked my kids (even the very naughty ones, really). i enjoy piaing with them during project and competition work time. but i hate the management. ok, i hate my boss for giving me a c . that's it. management really need to get their head out of their ****. ask me go sit on this comm handle this, chair this that (stuff i hate doing) then gimme a c. wah piang. working hours.? depends on u.can stay late, can go off early, need to be smart about it. but i worked my arse off. for a c.
wah buay tahan lei if always kana sai kang by management. i just am tired of being on standby and meetings after meetings for the past 6 years but at least management value contributions. tot go poly lecture can CBL abit...do my stuff and teach, put up abit of sh!+ with management and thats it. think i'll just go for the interview n do my best and see how it goes.