15% pay cut from private sector to teach in Polytechnic - Page 21 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

15% pay cut from private sector to teach in Polytechnic

Old 21-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by malawikigo View Post
wah buay tahan lei if always kana sai kang by management. i just am tired of being on standby and meetings after meetings for the past 6 years but at least management value contributions. tot go poly lecture can CBL abit...do my stuff and teach, put up abit of sh!+ with management and thats it. think i'll just go for the interview n do my best and see how it goes.
i went to lecture from private cos of exactly the same reason as you. yes la, can CBL that's true. but stupid me for shooting for higher B. should have just teach and do the projects i like, not do all the stooopid admin work. kanna con by my new boss basically. now quite fed up so will tender soon. sry as u know sensitive issue, so i cannot give any details at all about anything other than the general outline of the issue. hehe.

Old 21-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i went to lecture from private cos of exactly the same reason as you. yes la, can CBL that's true. but stupid me for shooting for higher B. should have just teach and do the projects i like, not do all the stooopid admin work. kanna con by my new boss basically. now quite fed up so will tender soon. sry as u know sensitive issue, so i cannot give any details at all about anything other than the general outline of the issue. hehe.
however having said all that, if one like to teach it is really rewarding to see the kids enjoy your lectures and bond with them, the feeling is priceless. . i one of those happening lecturer types, haha they love it, man. guess i can always get back to it when i'm older lor. also to be fair to my soon to be ex-boss, he did tell me "C is exceed expectations". means - if i just teach, no matter how well, he would have given me a D?? pengzz!

Old 22-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
however having said all that, if one like to teach it is really rewarding to see the kids enjoy your lectures and bond with them, the feeling is priceless. . i one of those happening lecturer types, haha they love it, man. guess i can always get back to it when i'm older lor. also to be fair to my soon to be ex-boss, he did tell me "C is exceed expectations". means - if i just teach, no matter how well, he would have given me a D?? pengzz!
That boss of yours taking u for a ride, no way "c" is execeed expectation. In fact too many "c" will cause contract renew probelms.

Old 22-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
hey thanks for sharing...do you think u regret not getting the poly job? and u think u will keep trying for it?
I have always wanted to go into lecturing/training line, in particular young adults/adults. Yup, I regretted I can't get in but I am still trying.

One reason why I guess I did not get it is because although I have the industrial experience, I do not have the academic qualification for the topic which I am slotted to teach.
Old 22-03-2012, 10:48 AM

malawikigo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
yala...dats y. i used to do freelance tutoring and its always nice to see these youngsters succeed and achieve somethign they never thought they could do. its never boring with youths. u get to bond n tkss with them sometimes and just chill. thanks for sharing your thoughts. i u'stand smthings cannot be shared publicly. but like what u say la...if whatever u did got a C, then how to get A? give up work-life balance? donate kidney?

btw, any tips for my interview?
Old 22-03-2012, 10:52 AM

malawikigo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have always wanted to go into lecturing/training line, in particular young adults/adults. Yup, I regretted I can't get in but I am still trying.

One reason why I guess I did not get it is because although I have the industrial experience, I do not have the academic qualification for the topic which I am slotted to teach.
Ic ic...but isnt it a waste of resources to call u for interview when they already know ur qualifications? funny lei...

i share your interest in going into tertiary education instead of pri/sec. hope you get to achieve it someday. or maybe do PT, i heard its better n no admin stuff to do.

Old 22-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Unregistered

Default zerlam the

Quote:
yala...dats y. i used to do freelance tutoring and its always nice to see these youngsters succeed and achieve somethign they never thought they could do. its never boring with youths. u get to bond n tkss with them sometimes and just chill. thanks for sharing your thoughts. i u'stand smthings cannot be shared publicly. but like what u say la...if whatever u did got a C, then how to get A? give up work-life balance? donate kidney?

btw, any tips for my interview?

tips for any interview AFAIK is: understand that if they call u for interview, they already want you. So don't answer stupidly and keep to the topic (ie dont talk about your passion for keeping goldfish if u applying for finance lecturer position, etc). be prepared to lie to questions like "why do you want to come and teach" ("the work life balance is better" is the wrong answer !). u should do fine, good luck. there will be at least one vacancy soon! kekeke.
Old 22-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
tips for any interview AFAIK is: understand that if they call u for interview, they already want you. So don't answer stupidly and keep to the topic (ie dont talk about your passion for keeping goldfish if u applying for finance lecturer position, etc). be prepared to lie to questions like "why do you want to come and teach" ("the work life balance is better" is the wrong answer !). u should do fine, good luck. there will be at least one vacancy soon! kekeke.
Far from it. The interview average 8 ppl for every opening, it just means you have a shot at it. Calling down for interview is definitely not equal to they want you, more like preliminary to see your face and learn more
Old 22-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Unregistered

Default ckleybo commanded

Quote:
Far from it. The interview average 8 ppl for every opening, it just means you have a shot at it. Calling down for interview is definitely not equal to they want you, more like preliminary to see your face and learn more
See it as you like it, then. I handled HR & recruitment before in my previous company, if I call the person down, I already want him. Just need to see him in person to see if any bad vibes. Oh yeah, maybe ask some technical questions. But for lecturing, they won't ask too technical questions so no problems there. As long as one can speak / articulate properly, won't flunk the aptitude portion of the test. Simple, really. Typical civil servant recruitment style.
Old 22-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
See it as you like it, then. I handled HR & recruitment before in my previous company, if I call the person down, I already want him. Just need to see him in person to see if any bad vibes. Oh yeah, maybe ask some technical questions. But for lecturing, they won't ask too technical questions so no problems there. As long as one can speak / articulate properly, won't flunk the aptitude portion of the test. Simple, really. Typical civil servant recruitment style.
What has your HR experience in an ex-company got to do with the question? Malawikigo is asking about his upcoming interview with a poly.

Your previous company might have lax recruitment standards, but you should stop extrapolating your limited experience into all hiring scenarios. Most hirers do not call people down just to see if got "bad vibes".