Thinking to switch from Private to Government sector - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Thinking to switch from Private to Government sector

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 27-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3
Huston is on a distinguished road
Default Thinking to switch from Private to Government sector

Hi,

40yrs old. Male. Thinking of embarking a new journey at the Government/Public sector. Got tried of doing the same thing and always overseas. I started out with a Diploma in Engineering and later obtain a 2nd Upp Hons Degree in BusinessMarketing from MDIS since year 2000.
Work in Engineering Assy in MNC for 4 yrs. Later a Assist. Manager in a local manufacturing firm and promote to Product Manager. Spend 10 yrs. Currently getting between 50-60K/annual.

Do you think i can get the same pay from the Public/Gov sector ? Not going MOE, i'm not cut-out to be a teacher.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 28-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I'm about yr age... I switched to gov agency ard 3 years ago ... Took a 1k pay cut...

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 29-07-2010, 08:58 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3
Huston is on a distinguished road
Default

What's the specific reason for your pay cut? Was your previous pay much too high? Or qualifications concern? Please elaborate further. Really wish to know more before i take the big leap.

And how was your new Public environment compare to previous? Was the pay CUT worth the Switch??

Do SHARE with me your situation and concerns. Hoping to gain some insights from your experiences.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2012, 04:07 PM
UnR
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 40 Yr Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston View Post
What's the specific reason for your pay cut? Was your previous pay much too high? Or qualifications concern? Please elaborate further. Really wish to know more before i take the big leap.

And how was your new Public environment compare to previous? Was the pay CUT worth the Switch??

Do SHARE with me your situation and concerns. Hoping to gain some insights from your experiences.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.
Dear Huston,

Did you switch to Govt? Do share your experience with us.

Regards
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Don't worry.. I'm quite sure MOE will not even consider your application even if you applied since your distance learning degree is not recognised by civil service.. your age is a little too old compared with the usual mid-career switch applicants.. they usually prefer local U grad with good honours ard the age of 30 - 35....
You might stand a better chance of entering a stat board since they are more flexible.... but most likely you will have to take a pay cut... They usually do this because they know you are dying to get out from private sector into a more stable & cushy job with less stress... Good luck!!..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston View Post
Hi,

40yrs old. Male. Thinking of embarking a new journey at the Government/Public sector. Got tried of doing the same thing and always overseas. I started out with a Diploma in Engineering and later obtain a 2nd Upp Hons Degree in BusinessMarketing from MDIS since year 2000.
Work in Engineering Assy in MNC for 4 yrs. Later a Assist. Manager in a local manufacturing firm and promote to Product Manager. Spend 10 yrs. Currently getting between 50-60K/annual.

Do you think i can get the same pay from the Public/Gov sector ? Not going MOE, i'm not cut-out to be a teacher.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Unregistered_Making Sense
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Don't worry.. I'm quite sure MOE will not even consider your application even if you applied since your distance learning degree is not recognised by civil service.. your age is a little too old compared with the usual mid-career switch applicants.. they usually prefer local U grad with good honours ard the age of 30 - 35....
You might stand a better chance of entering a stat board since they are more flexible.... but most likely you will have to take a pay cut... They usually do this because they know you are dying to get out from private sector into a more stable & cushy job with less stress... Good luck!!..
Don't bullshit here when you are not even in it. My friend has just joined MOE as a teacher and he has 1 year to prove if he is cut out for it, afterwhich he has to sign 3 years of bonds. He is presently 52 yrs old. Yes, he is from local University, with 2nd lower. Age is not a problem when you have a passion to teach.

You are right about stable and cushy, that's for sure. After being retrenched some few years back, he has been doing this and that for a couple of years. Seems like he cannot adapt to the other (private) environments, giving many excuses. So, he eventually tried to teaching. He told me starting would be around S$3k plus, depending on his age and no. of years of experience, NS, etc. And he said, it is so called "retrenchment free" job. But I think it is pressurize to teach.

Ultimately, it is up to anyone to try. Even JC can teach, depending on what level.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice needed!! SPF Senior police officer vs. Private Sector Liquid Income and Jobs 65 31-05-2019 01:54 AM
Take CFA for career switch? Salary.sg Education and Personal Growth 13 31-05-2010 02:26 PM
Pay Rise For Government Leaders Salary.sg Income and Jobs 10 20-02-2009 09:17 AM
Crazy 70 Months Bonus in Property Sector Salary.sg Income and Jobs 1 09-01-2008 12:15 PM
Charity sector pay Salary.sg Income and Jobs 1 21-06-2007 08:47 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
UBS Financial Services Industry... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
432 Replies, 101,785 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,474 Replies, 4,246,954 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,853 Replies, 1,636,741 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,911 Replies, 4,293,235 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
550 Replies, 418,487 Views
MOM(ACE) offers good career... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 3,009 Views
Starter job for HR
0 Replies, 38 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,910 Replies, 2,415,199 Views
Unilever UFLP 2018 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
40 Replies, 13,642 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,930 Replies, 466,510 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
417 Replies, 293,326 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,681 Replies, 1,982,233 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
329 Replies, 34,375 Views
Finance Student Career Advice ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 1,678 Views
Band 4 and Band 5 in Standard... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 25,605 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
988 Replies, 708,705 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
323 Replies, 436,673 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,511 Replies, 1,327,060 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,467 Replies, 697,831 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,043 Replies, 1,631,060 Views
which have a better prospect,... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
63 Replies, 10,897 Views
Really that bad for engineers? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,238 Replies, 915,126 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,051 Replies, 1,130,090 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
446 Replies, 248,424 Views
What MAP should I apply?...
9 Replies, 2,255 Views
How rich/poor am I compared to... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
72 Replies, 63,428 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,048 Replies, 1,276,539 Views
Civil engineering pay
6 Replies, 1,708 Views
HDB (under MND) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
452 Replies, 356,748 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2