Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Thinking to switch from Private to Government sector (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/966-thinking-switch-private-government-sector.html)

Huston 27-07-2010 05:00 PM

Thinking to switch from Private to Government sector

Hi,

40yrs old. Male. Thinking of embarking a new journey at the Government/Public sector. Got tried of doing the same thing and always overseas. I started out with a Diploma in Engineering and later obtain a 2nd Upp Hons Degree in BusinessMarketing from MDIS since year 2000.
Work in Engineering Assy in MNC for 4 yrs. Later a Assist. Manager in a local manufacturing firm and promote to Product Manager. Spend 10 yrs. Currently getting between 50-60K/annual.

Do you think i can get the same pay from the Public/Gov sector ? Not going MOE, i'm not cut-out to be a teacher.

Unregistered 28-07-2010 10:10 PM

I'm about yr age... I switched to gov agency ard 3 years ago ... Took a 1k pay cut...

Huston 29-07-2010 08:58 AM

What's the specific reason for your pay cut? Was your previous pay much too high? Or qualifications concern? Please elaborate further. Really wish to know more before i take the big leap.

And how was your new Public environment compare to previous? Was the pay CUT worth the Switch??

Do SHARE with me your situation and concerns. Hoping to gain some insights from your experiences.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

UnR 05-04-2012 04:07 PM

40 Yr Old

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huston (Post 6693)
What's the specific reason for your pay cut? Was your previous pay much too high? Or qualifications concern? Please elaborate further. Really wish to know more before i take the big leap.

And how was your new Public environment compare to previous? Was the pay CUT worth the Switch??

Do SHARE with me your situation and concerns. Hoping to gain some insights from your experiences.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Dear Huston,

Did you switch to Govt? Do share your experience with us.

Regards

Unregistered 05-04-2012 04:22 PM

Don't worry.. I'm quite sure MOE will not even consider your application even if you applied since your distance learning degree is not recognised by civil service.. your age is a little too old compared with the usual mid-career switch applicants.. they usually prefer local U grad with good honours ard the age of 30 - 35....
You might stand a better chance of entering a stat board since they are more flexible.... but most likely you will have to take a pay cut... They usually do this because they know you are dying to get out from private sector into a more stable & cushy job with less stress... Good luck!!..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huston (Post 6662)
Hi,

40yrs old. Male. Thinking of embarking a new journey at the Government/Public sector. Got tried of doing the same thing and always overseas. I started out with a Diploma in Engineering and later obtain a 2nd Upp Hons Degree in BusinessMarketing from MDIS since year 2000.
Work in Engineering Assy in MNC for 4 yrs. Later a Assist. Manager in a local manufacturing firm and promote to Product Manager. Spend 10 yrs. Currently getting between 50-60K/annual.

Do you think i can get the same pay from the Public/Gov sector ? Not going MOE, i'm not cut-out to be a teacher.

Unregistered_Making Sense 05-04-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23353)
Don't worry.. I'm quite sure MOE will not even consider your application even if you applied since your distance learning degree is not recognised by civil service.. your age is a little too old compared with the usual mid-career switch applicants.. they usually prefer local U grad with good honours ard the age of 30 - 35....
You might stand a better chance of entering a stat board since they are more flexible.... but most likely you will have to take a pay cut... They usually do this because they know you are dying to get out from private sector into a more stable & cushy job with less stress... Good luck!!..

Don't ******** here when you are not even in it. My friend has just joined MOE as a teacher and he has 1 year to prove if he is cut out for it, afterwhich he has to sign 3 years of bonds. He is presently 52 yrs old. Yes, he is from local University, with 2nd lower. Age is not a problem when you have a passion to teach.

You are right about stable and cushy, that's for sure. After being retrenched some few years back, he has been doing this and that for a couple of years. Seems like he cannot adapt to the other (private) environments, giving many excuses. So, he eventually tried to teaching. He told me starting would be around S$3k plus, depending on his age and no. of years of experience, NS, etc. And he said, it is so called "retrenchment free" job. But I think it is pressurize to teach.

Ultimately, it is up to anyone to try. Even JC can teach, depending on what level.