Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Thinking to switch from Private to Government sector
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Unregistered_Making Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Don't worry.. I'm quite sure MOE will not even consider your application even if you applied since your distance learning degree is not recognised by civil service.. your age is a little too old compared with the usual mid-career switch applicants.. they usually prefer local U grad with good honours ard the age of 30 - 35....
You might stand a better chance of entering a stat board since they are more flexible.... but most likely you will have to take a pay cut... They usually do this because they know you are dying to get out from private sector into a more stable & cushy job with less stress... Good luck!!..
Don't ******** here when you are not even in it. My friend has just joined MOE as a teacher and he has 1 year to prove if he is cut out for it, afterwhich he has to sign 3 years of bonds. He is presently 52 yrs old. Yes, he is from local University, with 2nd lower. Age is not a problem when you have a passion to teach.

You are right about stable and cushy, that's for sure. After being retrenched some few years back, he has been doing this and that for a couple of years. Seems like he cannot adapt to the other (private) environments, giving many excuses. So, he eventually tried to teaching. He told me starting would be around S$3k plus, depending on his age and no. of years of experience, NS, etc. And he said, it is so called "retrenchment free" job. But I think it is pressurize to teach.

Ultimately, it is up to anyone to try. Even JC can teach, depending on what level.