Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Advice needed!! SPF Senior police officer vs. Private Sector

Old 06-07-2010, 01:57 AM

Liquid is on a distinguished road
Default Advice needed!! SPF Senior police officer vs. Private Sector

Hi guys.

I just graduated from NTU with 2nd lower class Honours.

I am in a dilemma right now.

Recently, I am offered a senior police officer position which offers me about 3.5k/month.

I also got another offer from a japanese chemical MNC which offers me about $2.8k/month, mainly doing sales of chemical products.

I am not sure which one to choose.. in terms of salary in the long run and also the prospect of both position..

Please advise... any inputs will be greatly appreciated..

Old 06-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Unregistered

i would ask you to take the MNC job (I am suspecting it would be hitachi). The chemical industry is pretty stable and you can use that to move to something else later. Police officer, on the hand, regardless of the high starting pay, counts as nothing in the real world. I suspect that you are not a scholar, so there is a glass ceiling for you. If you are content with younger scholars as your boss in the future, that is fine. Upside is limited as a police officer.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Unregistered

Congrates to you to have both positions been offered to you.

As a 2nd lower grad you get $3500 as starting pay, is this a new revision of salary? Last time I apply for senior police officer in 2007 july, the pay for 2nd lower with NS is abt $3380.

PS: I did not manage to pass the psychometric test, so no more SPO for me.

If you want a long term career till you retired, I would recommend you to sign on police, as the benefit are really good, got the police retirement account scheme. I think your salary of $3500 also havent include the relevant allowances you are getting (mean that your gross monthly salary could be from than $4000++), 1 bad thing is that maybe you are required to work shift, standby duty(especially on major event, ndp, yog, IMF...etc, work on weekend/ holiday.

Also the annual package is about 16 months for average performer for civil servant, of course good/outstanding gets more.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for private sector, I don't know, from other forum, people do complained over work OT without OT pay because u are under 'executive grade' for a mere $2800...also sometimes you are also required to work in holiday/weekend....which is fark up. Also dunno your chemical company pay AWS?? How is your annual package for this company?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In term of annual package>>>SPF
If you like to jump ship alot >>>chemical company

Old 06-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Unregistered

Someone once gave the best career advice to me and I still practice it till today. In life, having options is more powerful than any amount of money or pay. In another words, pick something and work towards something that makes you 'marketable'. You want to work towards a stage in your life where headhunters are calling you on a regular basis. In the old days, the gratuity package for army, police or even some petroleum companies is sizable. These days, with the current cost of living, it is very little. Anything less than 200k S$ by the time you retire at 50 or 55 (I am talking about 25 to 30 years down the road) is not enough if you work in inflation and consider time value of money. The gratuity pay out has not kept up with inflation and jobs in the army and police are not as attractive as it used to be. To give you an example, 15 years a go, I knew of someone cashing out 150k S$ and that was sufficient to pay for his son's overseas education with some left for retirement. Today, 150kS$ will barely pay for 3-4 years education at some Ivy league tuition fees.

If I were you, I will pick the chemical sales job. you are still young, easy to change jobs and career direction if it doesn't fit you. Once you join the police and get used to 3500/month, it will be difficult to adjust to a lower pay if you decide to leave the force.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Unregistered

Another factor to consider is interest. It is difficult to sustain a job, if you are not enthusiastic about it, regardless of how well it pays. Of course, if you like police work, go for it. Liking one's work also makes it easier to excel in it.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:10 PM

Thank you everyone for their advices. Really appreciate them. =)

Is it true that the private sector's compensation is going to be much more than police in the long run?

I heard salary increment can be quite little in the private sector as compared to police..

Is it true?

Old 06-07-2010, 07:44 PM

Default Senior police officer salary increment and bonus

Hi guys

Anyone knows what's a civil servant, senior police officer in particular, annual compensation package be like for a average performer? 15 months?

Does anyone also know how's their annual salary increment? Is it like what I saw from other forums which is a healthy 200-300 dollars a year not including promotion?

Will appreciate any form of input!

Thank you!
Old 06-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Same same

Default Hey

Hi there.

I am also a fresh NTU grad. It sounds like you graduated from engineering? Anyways I have been working for just over a month now (started on 1st June) and I'm getting 3k in a US MNC. I am not sure about SPF, but when I was job hunting, the thought of being in the public sector never crossed my mind, because I knew that even though I had a 2nd upper, there would always be a scholar who would promote faster than me.

After 1 month of working here, I feel that actually being in the public sector isn't such a bad thing. In my company, I work at least 12 hours a day. My basic pay plus transport allowance plus overtime probably wouldn't match what I would be getting in the public sector. However, in terms of opportunity in career development, I still think that being in the private sector is much more rewarding. My work is challenging and it keeps my mind very active. I am put into situations which are far beyond my comfort zone. However, I think it must be put into perspective that I am only one month into the job and I myself am unsure if I can take this for a lifetime. Maybe it is possible to enjoy the same thrill of challenges and have a good pay package in another public service division like MAS or something like that.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 06-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Same same View Post
Hi there.

I am also a fresh NTU grad. It sounds like you graduated from engineering? Anyways I have been working for just over a month now (started on 1st June) and I'm getting 3k in a US MNC. I am not sure about SPF, but when I was job hunting, the thought of being in the public sector never crossed my mind, because I knew that even though I had a 2nd upper, there would always be a scholar who would promote faster than me.

After 1 month of working here, I feel that actually being in the public sector isn't such a bad thing. In my company, I work at least 12 hours a day. My basic pay plus transport allowance plus overtime probably wouldn't match what I would be getting in the public sector. However, in terms of opportunity in career development, I still think that being in the private sector is much more rewarding. My work is challenging and it keeps my mind very active. I am put into situations which are far beyond my comfort zone. However, I think it must be put into perspective that I am only one month into the job and I myself am unsure if I can take this for a lifetime. Maybe it is possible to enjoy the same thrill of challenges and have a good pay package in another public service division like MAS or something like that.
Does everyone in your company put in 12-hour workdays?

When I was in a government agency, I sometimes put in 100-hour weeks to deliver projects. But only the junior engineers stayed late. The senior guys get the good life. One of them even took regular naps in the office.

I now work in a foreign bank. Again, not everyone works late. It seems more of a choice. If you can deliver good work (and your boss appreciates that), it doesn't matter whether you work later or not.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:43 AM
NTU Fresh Grad too!

Hello!

I would say there're more doors that are still waiting to be opened for you, and for me, in the private sector. I did IA at one of the stat board and I found the job was simply unexciting, totally not challenging, and everyday life was cruelly boring, to the point that I took leave once or twice a month, so I only got a B grade for the attachment -.-"

By the way, I simply have a Pass degree. Yet, I was offered a 45K annual package, which is incredible considering my GPA/CAP, working in a foreign MNC. I was very happy that the company recognised my effort spent in participating in CCAs and part-time jobs, and offered me a great package based on my potential and capabilities, rather than grades alone.

Thus, knowing how profitable oil/gas/chemical industry is and how a salesperson's earning is highly dependent on performance (i.e. hitting/going beyond sales target), you can prove yourself worthwhile to the company in your own way... can you do that as a police officer?

Cheers!