Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 31-08-2023, 04:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I don’t recommend doing Law to people who can’t handle stress and competition.

I went back to dental school (in Australia), after graduating from NUS Law years ago, and I certainly don’t regret it.

Sure, I don’t earn as much as those in international firms, but I am drawing a comfortable salary of $18000/month as a dental surgeon in Q&M (around 5 years of experience)…

This is despite the fact that I failed dental school twice and had to repeat in my third and final year…
Practising law has always been stressful. The difference is that in the past, the remuneration is worth the amount of stress accumulated. Hence, you see the old Chinatown practitioners living rather comfortably, staying in landed and driving continental cars.

The problem now is that the top brass is scrutinizing P&P and even S&C costs, whilst making it much easier for laypeople to have access to resources and represent themselves. Essentially, it is death by a thousand cuts for many areas of litigation. Which is why the turnover rate for litigators is very high and many leave private practice to become either in-house counsel or legal officers in the civil service.

I'm 6 PQE and many of my learned friends in various practices of litigation have left to become in-house counsels. Tells you how grim the situation is. And yet you have tone-deaf leaders at LawSoc telling you that "Law is a calling" BS.

Old 31-08-2023, 06:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Practising law has always been stressful. The difference is that in the past, the remuneration is worth the amount of stress accumulated. Hence, you see the old Chinatown practitioners living rather comfortably, staying in landed and driving continental cars.

The problem now is that the top brass is scrutinizing P&P and even S&C costs, whilst making it much easier for laypeople to have access to resources and represent themselves. Essentially, it is death by a thousand cuts for many areas of litigation. Which is why the turnover rate for litigators is very high and many leave private practice to become either in-house counsel or legal officers in the civil service.

I'm 6 PQE and many of my learned friends in various practices of litigation have left to become in-house counsels. Tells you how grim the situation is. And yet you have tone-deaf leaders at LawSoc telling you that "Law is a calling" BS.
What about transactional law? Is it still worthwhile to be a corp lawyer. I see many small corp boutiques around too, though not as many as liti obv

How would a small or mid sized corp practitioner do nowadays in terms of earnings or comp?

Old 31-08-2023, 08:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Law, as a career, is still appealing compared to other fields like business/CS. It’s essentially the preferred choice for top students who either don’t have an interest for Med/ couldn’t get into Med

Old 31-08-2023, 08:49 PM
Unregistered

Default Ferrari

Thoughts on CBT and/or his speech, and getting cancelled.
Old 31-08-2023, 10:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Here’s the same noble speaker who got himself in the limelight of the Peak Magazine for owning several super cars

s://.thepeakmagazine.com.sg/interviews/exoticars-supercar-club-singapore-chia-boon-teck/
Old 01-09-2023, 12:04 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Here’s the same noble speaker who got himself in the limelight of the Peak Magazine for owning several super cars

s://.thepeakmagazine.com.sg/interviews/exoticars-supercar-club-singapore-chia-boon-teck/
Lol Sheffield grad. Delisted Uni.

Old 01-09-2023, 02:16 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Actually I was quite impressed that he’s earning so much from his practice
Old 01-09-2023, 04:23 AM
Unregistered

which local law firms are accepting of trans employees?
Old 01-09-2023, 10:32 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Not saying I agree or disagree with his views, but I found him to be frank and open

So I was just wondering - is law a calling or a comfortable means of paying the bills? Why not both though?

Lawyers often compare themselves to other professions, but most of us can’t do math/physics - so isn’t law the best-paying writing/speaking job most of us can find?
Old 01-09-2023, 04:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Not saying I agree or disagree with his views, but I found him to be frank and open

So I was just wondering - is law a calling or a comfortable means of paying the bills? Why not both though?

Lawyers often compare themselves to other professions, but most of us can’t do math/physics - so isn’t law the best-paying writing/speaking job most of us can find?
The issue is with the history of the profession and the way it views itself, which is at odds with modern times

The earliest lawyers were basically sons of rich nobles who practised law as a hobby, their fees were honorariums

Now the profession opened up on the basis of merit (somewhat) and an LLB (Hons) is not as exclusive in terms of money or birthright as it was 700 years ago and you have all these commoners entering the profession to ask for higher pay/fees and work-life balance etc

Tbh in this day and age being a lawyer should be viewed as a comfortable means of paying the bills, this self-perception of it being noble or gentlemanly is seriously outdated and should be reformed in a lot of aspects

It's just a job like any other and the job title only intimidates laypeople who in the year 2023 still subscribe to lazy stereotypes re: education and SES

95% of the people who kena for speeding, maintenance summonses, divorce, etc. are actually competent enough to represent themselves, they are just paying a lawyer to take care of the time and trouble for them