Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 30-08-2023, 03:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Back in the day, my coursemates were strategizing on getting distinctions rather than complaining about the content. Oh how times have changed.
Please don't make me roll my eyes so hard, I'm scared I'll injure myself

Old 30-08-2023, 04:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi. I am a 2022 Part B Course candidate who got called to the Bar in 2023. Yes, my batch was the guinea pig batch for SILE to trial and error with the new syllabus and exam format etc.

I just want to say that your worries and concern for the Part B exams is not without reason. I think almost everyone in my batch had the same feeling as we entered the course. There was no instructions on the passing rate for exams or when the exams would be held or the format of each of the exams etc until the end of course lecture which was held in November 2022 iirc.

I am not saying that it does not matter but I also cant really agree that it does? Afterall we learn the module to grasp the idealogy behind the practice of it and not for the sake of exams. If the examiners decide to change it from open-ended to MCQ the night before the exam, it should not really be a matter of concern. If you know your stuff, you will pass.

Also we must understand that the tutors and lecturers are also active solicitors who have their own full time job. I am not sure if they are paid but I highly doubt so considering that we have DPPs from AGC giving us tutorials and lectures on Criminal Law. We cant expect them to volunteer for a 1 year course now can we.

Regarding the leading cases of each module's syllabus, I think there is a need to relook into how you are approaching your studies. I am not saying that what you are doing is wrong but we must appreciate that Part B is an open-book exam and you do not need to memorize "130 cases" for each module. All you have to do is read the case, understand what the legal principle is, write it down into your notes so it is easier to refer to in the exam. One thing I noticed is that although the syllabus dumps lots of cases for you to read, its mostly 5-10 cases explaining the same legal principle and all you need is the leading case coupled with some of your intellectual inputs as to why it is more logical/reasoned than its comparative dissent.

I had no trouble reading 100 cases for each module and then making my notes for each exam. In fact, I only needed 2 days to study for each module before the exam. Yes, I only started preparing for the final exams in December 2022 in middle of November 2022. For some context, I am a foreign university graduate who took the Part A and then the Part B bar course and examinations so I am not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed. If you come from a local uni like NUS or SMU who had the opportunity to go through vigorous academic structure you will definitely have no problems with the Part B.

I understand that the Part B course 2023 has an increased number of modules, and since I have not taken a look at how in depth each module is, I will not be commenting on how challenging it is. However, given that someone like me who is amongst the bottom of my batch in terms of intellect only required 2 days to revise for each module for 8-9 examinations +2-3 practical examinations, I am sure having 25 modules would just require more time to prepare for your batch. It is manageable. Even if it isn't, part and parcel of being a lawyer is learning to adapt and overcome. You can do it.

As many have said before me, Part B is just a rite of passage. People are overthinking too much about its difficulty. Part A was the slaughterhouse imo. Passing rates was like 25-30% including retakes, make one mistake and you fail.

At least now they compacted idk 25 modules into just 6 examinations? Correct me if I am wrong. There is only a certain number of things they can test you on within the time constraints of 2 hours for each examination. They would not be asking you for an experienced lawyer's opinion on the material syllabus. If anything, I would describe Part B as a procedural exam where you just learn the basics of how it is practiced. I also remember each examination having several mistakes in their questions/answer choices and a lot of time was spent halting us and telling us the errors during the actual examination. This took up like 15-20 minutes of our exam time not to mention the added stress etc. (Arbitration cough*) had like 18 mistakes in the exam script and it was hilarious because their projector screen in the exam hall could not fit all the mistakes.

Eg: Family law, you are only needed to learn up to the point of how to draft a Statement of Particulars and ANJ v ANK. That is like 10% of what practice really is.

Take heart and soldier on. Law is not meant to be easy. But dont make it unnecessarily harder than it should be. Seek advice from your seniors or any colleagues you have in the firm you worked in or interned in before. Wish you all the best in Part B and looking forward to welcome you to this profession.
So many words just to say nothing. I guess it’s the hallmark of being a lawyer right.

How exactly is the 2022 batch the “batch was the guinea pig batch for SILE to trial and error with the new syllabus and exam format etc.”? 2022 syllabus got change meh? So your worries were predicated on the uncertainty of passing rate and exam format? If so, how is that detrimental, substantially, given that the examinable content remains unchanged? As you’ve eluded to, “If the examiners decide to change it from open-ended to MCQ the night before the exam, it should not really be a matter of concern. If you know your stuff, you will pass.”

Nobody is disputing that the pre-revised syllabus is procedural and in that sense, seemingly a rite of passage. It’s pretty much industry knowledge at this point.

What is in contention is that post-revision, the additional syllabuses included are not necessarily procedural based. Coupled with the sheer amount of addition and the fact that candidates no longer get a choice and are forced to take on niche modules with little to no relevance to an aspiring practitioner.

Even taking your point that the post-revised part b is indeed procedural based, the increase in number of examined subjects (9 to 31) is manageable in your mind? Putting aside the efficacy of such methodology, I sincerely doubt it that is the case.

“I understand that the Part B course 2023 has an increased number of modules, and since I have not taken a look at how in depth each module is, I will not be commenting on how challenging it is” - but isn’t your entire post just to **** on people who are complaining and to subtle flex that you’ve passed the bar having only studied a month before the exam?

Old 30-08-2023, 04:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
So many words just to say nothing. I guess it’s the hallmark of being a lawyer right.

How exactly is the 2022 batch the “batch was the guinea pig batch for SILE to trial and error with the new syllabus and exam format etc.”? 2022 syllabus got change meh? So your worries were predicated on the uncertainty of passing rate and exam format? If so, how is that detrimental, substantially, given that the examinable content remains unchanged? As you’ve eluded to, “If the examiners decide to change it from open-ended to MCQ the night before the exam, it should not really be a matter of concern. If you know your stuff, you will pass.”

Nobody is disputing that the pre-revised syllabus is procedural and in that sense, seemingly a rite of passage. It’s pretty much industry knowledge at this point.

What is in contention is that post-revision, the additional syllabuses included are not necessarily procedural based. Coupled with the sheer amount of addition and the fact that candidates no longer get a choice and are forced to take on niche modules with little to no relevance to an aspiring practitioner.

Even taking your point that the post-revised part b is indeed procedural based, the increase in number of examined subjects (9 to 31) is manageable in your mind? Putting aside the efficacy of such methodology, I sincerely doubt it that is the case.

“I understand that the Part B course 2023 has an increased number of modules, and since I have not taken a look at how in depth each module is, I will not be commenting on how challenging it is” - but isn’t your entire post just to **** on people who are complaining and to subtle flex that you’ve passed the bar having only studied a month before the exam?

smlj people give you genuine honest opinion also can kpkb

not happy then dont take the bar la

how the fk is what he/she typed a subtle flex. if he/she want to flex he/she wont flex it to people like you who complain about every obstacle in their life. Flex to you got fk use, you are useless in the eyes of the industry, impress you wont give them any pay raise.

the next generation of lawyers need to grow the fk up and be humble. if you cant take constructive criticism then you better have the skills to back up your ego.

what they meant: part B is a rite of passage, dont need to overthink, not that difficult, is manageable course, can pass even with limited time to study

what new wannabe egoistic part b exam takers understood: they flexing on us

Old 30-08-2023, 04:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
smlj people give you genuine honest opinion also can kpkb

not happy then dont take the bar la

how the fk is what he/she typed a subtle flex. if he/she want to flex he/she wont flex it to people like you who complain about every obstacle in their life. Flex to you got fk use, you are useless in the eyes of the industry, impress you wont give them any pay raise.

the next generation of lawyers need to grow the fk up and be humble. if you cant take constructive criticism then you better have the skills to back up your ego.

what they meant: part B is a rite of passage, dont need to overthink, not that difficult, is manageable course, can pass even with limited time to study

what new wannabe egoistic part b exam takers understood: they flexing on us
? One is giving their genuine honest opinion and but the other is just kpkb-ing? Because they don’t fall within your camp of opinions means they kpkb? Look into the mirror kid and learn to take constructive criticisms and cull your ego.

Way to miss the entire point of the posts btw. Perhaps your skills with this the Hokkien language would serve you well.
Old 30-08-2023, 04:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

I am astonished to see how delusional the part b exam takers are nowadays. May I know if you are from foreign university or local university? Better still let me know which uni you from so I can tell my firm never to hire people from your uni.
Old 30-08-2023, 05:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
? One is giving their genuine honest opinion and but the other is just kpkb-ing? Because they don’t fall within your camp of opinions means they kpkb? Look into the mirror kid and learn to take constructive criticisms and cull your ego.

Way to miss the entire point of the posts btw. Perhaps your skills with this the Hokkien language would serve you well.
I think the entire point of the posts is that current part B course candidates are trash compared to their predecessors.

First time I see people asking for exams to remain status quo or get easier.

Things will only get harder, competition will only get stronger.

Continue living in delusion. Just dont cry when you dont land a job because of your **** attitude.

Old 30-08-2023, 05:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I think the entire point of the posts is that current part B course candidates are trash compared to their predecessors.

First time I see people asking for exams to remain status quo or get easier.

Things will only get harder, competition will only get stronger.

Continue living in delusion. Just dont cry when you dont land a job because of your **** attitude.
Ignore the troll who thinks people apply for jobs after part B
Old 30-08-2023, 05:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Ignore the troll who thinks people apply for jobs after part B
Ignore the troll who thinks everyone is retained especially in small-mid sized firms.

Idk who the guy or girl above taking part B course is but from the way they took someone's opinion as an attack you can tell they probably did not get retained at any law firm.
Old 30-08-2023, 06:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Ignore the troll who thinks everyone is retained especially in small-mid sized firms.

Idk who the guy or girl above taking part B course is but from the way they took someone's opinion as an attack you can tell they probably did not get retained at any law firm.
anyone can see they have low EQ

what is funny is that they dont seem to have high IQ either if they are asking for part b to be status quo (from their petition)

cannot stop laughing at this batch
Old 30-08-2023, 06:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Absolutely disgusting show of just how disconnected and tone deaf the boomer lawyers are. Who the hell is still thinking about **** like Suits after going through 5 years of crap in law school + part B + TC, does he think he is talking to JC kids? And what is that crazy talk about money, productivity, and how WLB is impossible - finding it hard to get new warm bodies to exploit? Boo hoo, kids these days don't wana work any more

Also discovered that the guy is the founder of some exotic car club in SG lmao really matches the image he is giving off...
That's why the turnover rate for young lawyers is so high, especially in litigation. In the past, it was equally stressful but at least the pay was worth the stress. Now these old boomer lawyers who took generous bites off the cherry are now scrutinizing our pay and insist that law is a calling, pay is secondary. Very rich coming from these boomers who charged exorbitant fees previously and are now sitting in their GCBs. And conveniently ignoring the fact that costs of living have risen significantly.