Lawyer Salary - Page 1895 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #18941 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2023, 10:13 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 2 going 3 PQE

2020 called at Mass Call. FCH from a not so prestigious overseas uni. Passed part A and B with no resits. Am also dual qualified.

Iíve moved around a bit. Spent 1 year in the firm I trained as an associate (firm has 10-15 lawyers).

Career wise I made two failed moves to even smaller firms (6-9 lawyers), and landed up having two and landed up having <3month stints.

Should I still try applying to the bigger firms or hold out a little longer at my current firm (I am currently at firm 4) which I am close to completing a year and only start applying at the 1 year 1/2month mark.

I am paid in the 5.5-6 range and obtained a small bonus.

Reply With Quote
  #18942 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2023, 03:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What does he mean? Instead of paying trainees a paltry peanut sum of 2K for 6 months and then 6 months of NQ salary, they get to pay the peanut trainee pay for 12 months under the new scheme. The firms SAVE MORE money under the new scheme.
But they can't charge a trainee out at the same rates as an associate who's called to the bar... And like you said, some firms do take on more trainees then they intend to retain. Now they have to be more selective since it's a one year commitment at least, not just six months.



Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #18943 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2023, 04:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
But they can't charge a trainee out at the same rates as an associate who's called to the bar... And like you said, some firms do take on more trainees then they intend to retain. Now they have to be more selective since it's a one year commitment at least, not just six months.
The new scheme allows them to charge trainees out at slightly lower rates for all 12 months

R&T and the other big 4 always tell students they train with the intention to retain all

and R&T already completed hiring for this year's batch 2 years ago

Straits Times forgot how to fact check? Just happy happy quote people?

Reply With Quote
  #18944 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2023, 07:34 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Eh, lawyers, I got a proposal for you that's more exciting than a courtroom drama. Have you ever thought about ditching those law books and trying your hand at consulting?

Hear me out, okay? In consulting, you'll get to work with a bunch of different clients and industries, which is way more exciting than staring at the same old legal documents all day. Plus, you'll get to wear suits that aren't black, which is a huge win in my book.

And let's talk about the money, ah. In consulting, you could be raking in the big bucks, like cha-ching, six figures or more. Plus, if you play your cards right and become a partner, you could be rolling in cash like Scrooge McDuck.

But wait, there's more! Consulting can actually offer a better work-life balance than law. You'll still have to work hard, but you won't be pulling all-nighters like you might have to in law. And that means you'll actually have time to enjoy your life, like going to the beach, eating chilli crab, or whatever floats your boat.

And let's not forget about the opportunities for growth and advancement. You'll be constantly learning and developing new skills, which is way more interesting than trying to remember all those legal cases. And you'll be working with smart and funny colleagues who can help you progress in your career, and maybe even become your new besties.

So, if you're feeling tired of the legal grind, come join us in consulting. We promise it'll be more fun than a barrel of monkeys, or your money back (just kidding, no refunds). Don't say I bo jio, okay?
No point one. Most lawyers won't step out of their comfort zone. These are the uptight student prefects that would book you for ankle socks and sit at the front of class to be teachers' pet.

But anyway, actually at the top tier, lawyers earn more than consultants, for roughly the same level of competition for these jobs (meaning MBB vs white shoe/Cravath-paying firms). So there's no incentive to jump out of law and be disadvantaged against general business/commerce/finance folks.

At the slightly lower tier (lower tier international firms or local Big 4), quality of life and pay is crappier for sure but these lawyers won't make it to MBB in the first place. They may be competitive for mid tier consulting but the pay for mid tier consulting is still better than mid tier consulting (Big 4 consulting, Oliver Wyman etc) so again there's no incentive to jump out of law for the same reasons.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #18945 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2023, 07:35 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
At the slightly lower tier (lower tier international firms or local Big 4), quality of life and pay is crappier for sure but these lawyers won't make it to MBB in the first place. They may be competitive for mid tier consulting but the pay for mid tier consulting is still better than mid tier consulting (Big 4 consulting, Oliver Wyman etc) so again there's no incentive to jump out of law for the same reasons.
*the pay for mid tier law is still better than mid tier consulting (Big 4 consulting, Oliver Wyman etc)
Reply With Quote
  #18946 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2023, 02:13 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Eh, lawyers, I got a proposal for you that's more exciting than a courtroom drama. Have you ever thought about ditching those law books and trying your hand at consulting?

Hear me out, okay? In consulting, you'll get to work with a bunch of different clients and industries, which is way more exciting than staring at the same old legal documents all day. Plus, you'll get to wear suits that aren't black, which is a huge win in my book.

And let's talk about the money, ah. In consulting, you could be raking in the big bucks, like cha-ching, six figures or more. Plus, if you play your cards right and become a partner, you could be rolling in cash like Scrooge McDuck.

But wait, there's more! Consulting can actually offer a better work-life balance than law. You'll still have to work hard, but you won't be pulling all-nighters like you might have to in law. And that means you'll actually have time to enjoy your life, like going to the beach, eating chilli crab, or whatever floats your boat.

And let's not forget about the opportunities for growth and advancement. You'll be constantly learning and developing new skills, which is way more interesting than trying to remember all those legal cases. And you'll be working with smart and funny colleagues who can help you progress in your career, and maybe even become your new besties.

So, if you're feeling tired of the legal grind, come join us in consulting. We promise it'll be more fun than a barrel of monkeys, or your money back (just kidding, no refunds). Don't say I bo jio, okay?
well Iím a trainee right now looking to enter consulting in the MBB would appreciate any help
Reply With Quote

  #18947 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2023, 03:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

so how do you move from law trainee to mbb consultant then
Reply With Quote
  #18948 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2023, 12:18 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

hi just curious, which are the more legit international FLAs/JLVs? hearsay the ranking is like that:

true ints (MC & SCs level) eg. CC, HSF, Ashurst

more integrated tie-ups eg. Simmons, BMWL, NRF

the rest: wkw, rodyk, mls, mpillay, dms, clyde, reed smith etc

is this accurate?
Reply With Quote
  #18949 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2023, 11:10 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Aslant

How are the recruiters from Aslant?

Like Alice or Gwen
Reply With Quote
  #18950 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2023, 10:00 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
2020 called at Mass Call. FCH from a not so prestigious overseas uni. Passed part A and B with no resits. Am also dual qualified.

Iíve moved around a bit. Spent 1 year in the firm I trained as an associate (firm has 10-15 lawyers).

Career wise I made two failed moves to even smaller firms (6-9 lawyers), and landed up having two and landed up having <3month stints.

Should I still try applying to the bigger firms or hold out a little longer at my current firm (I am currently at firm 4) which I am close to completing a year and only start applying at the 1 year 1/2month mark.

I am paid in the 5.5-6 range and obtained a small bonus.
FCH and dual-qualification don't mean **** unless you have the work experience to back it up. Join a big reputable practice - it's a safe bet. You are also being underpaid. The faster you apply, the faster you can kickstart your career.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,739 Replies, 3,959,511 Views
Civil/Public Sector -... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
418 Replies, 346,380 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,325 Replies, 3,935,743 Views
Tech bros...how is your market... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
49 Replies, 7,958 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,187 Replies, 895,900 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,063 Replies, 6,012,353 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
15,515 Replies, 11,031,867 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,341 Replies, 1,190,167 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
19,483 Replies, 8,713,966 Views
ITE (lecturer) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
263 Replies, 323,684 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,510 Replies, 3,804,852 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,194 Replies, 944,987 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
430 Replies, 208,878 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,416 Replies, 1,748,260 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,495 Replies, 790,768 Views
Career as SIA Overseas Scholar
5 Replies, 652 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,791 Replies, 1,096,906 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
275 Replies, 127,880 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,234 Replies, 579,882 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,835 Replies, 1,442,914 Views
What are BAND 5 positions -...
8 Replies, 982 Views
MOM(ACE) offers good career... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
100 Replies, 48,883 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,485 Replies, 3,122,897 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
464 Replies, 362,419 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,512 Replies, 5,178,587 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,533 Replies, 2,660,073 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
248 Replies, 278,422 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
273 Replies, 239,378 Views
Management Consultant MBB Big4 etc... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
261 Replies, 149,723 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,347 Replies, 1,735,728 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2