Lawyer Salary - Page 2095 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #20941 (permalink)  
Old 14-03-2024, 08:34 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I feel like this is a circular argument. The same can be said for the firm to have paid your bonus despite you not hitting your billables/under your billables. But I guess emotionally / coming from the POV of how you might feel, your “base pay” is not that far off your admin staff counter parts.


Only real downside I can see is precisely that the front load portion being a “bonus”, the firm is at liberty to claw it back when you decide to leave.
Was always curious - is there actually a clawback if the assoc was determined to be a poor performer or does the firm let the poor performer keep his front loaded already-disbursed bonus?

Reply With Quote
  #20942 (permalink)  
Old 14-03-2024, 09:48 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Was always curious - is there actually a clawback if the assoc was determined to be a poor performer or does the firm let the poor performer keep his front loaded already-disbursed bonus?
Some firms remove front load when you tender, but doubt any reputable firms would claw back.

Front load is just annoying when they say your pay is comparable to your international firm friends but come bonus season you are behind.

Reply With Quote
  #20943 (permalink)  
Old 14-03-2024, 09:51 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Does anyone know the trainee pay for HSF singapore's training contract?



Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #20944 (permalink)  
Old 14-03-2024, 11:43 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not a lot. 3k
Ey don't play play, 3k can buy many many plates of cai fan.
Reply With Quote
  #20945 (permalink)  
Old 14-03-2024, 01:41 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How’s the NQ pay at withers? Higher than Big 4?
LOL it’s lower… please leave if you can it’s not worth it - look at LinkedIn too exit opportunities are not great… not sure why someone would want to train there in the first place
Reply With Quote
  #20946 (permalink)  
Old 14-03-2024, 03:17 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I feel like this is a circular argument. The same can be said for the firm to have paid your bonus despite you not hitting your billables/under your billables. But I guess emotionally / coming from the POV of how you might feel, your “base pay” is not that far off your admin staff counter parts.


Only real downside I can see is precisely that the front load portion being a “bonus”, the firm is at liberty to claw it back when you decide to leave.
Hi I am not OP but just curious.. how the hell would anyone not be able to hit their billables? Like i been in practise for so long, I haven ever once not been able to hit my billables or gone beyond it, even straight after getting called.

If anyone has trouble hitting billables maybe they should re-evaluate if practise is for them because its literally the basic bare minimum.

Of course there will be months where you feel burnt out or have family issues to resolve but thats probably only 1 out of 12 months so your point is kinda invalid.

Its not a circular argument imo. Front loaded is bs and we need to stop defending it.
Reply With Quote

  #20947 (permalink)  
Old 14-03-2024, 09:04 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi I am not OP but just curious.. how the hell would anyone not be able to hit their billables? Like i been in practise for so long, I haven ever once not been able to hit my billables or gone beyond it, even straight after getting called.

If anyone has trouble hitting billables maybe they should re-evaluate if practise is for them because its literally the basic bare minimum.

Of course there will be months where you feel burnt out or have family issues to resolve but thats probably only 1 out of 12 months so your point is kinda invalid.

Its not a circular argument imo. Front loaded is bs and we need to stop defending it.
Not the poster who posted the 'circular argument' reply. I'm the initial poster who asked for someone to explain in simple terms why frontloading is bad.

But that's the thing though. I still haven't really seen any compelling reason which clearly explains why frontloading is such a bs practice.

On an annual comp basis, if one gets "$X" in total for the entire year, does it really matter whether "$X" is divided between higher monthly and lower end year bonus, vs lower monthly and higher end year bonus?
Reply With Quote
  #20948 (permalink)  
Old 14-03-2024, 10:01 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Anyone can point me to the post that Jerald Foo made a while ago warning of the perils of joining an international firm? I think it makes for excellent reading that all that glitters is not gold.
Reply With Quote
  #20949 (permalink)  
Old 15-03-2024, 12:53 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

may i ask the law students out there: does a tenancy agreement require a court order to be enforced, in the event of refusal of rent payment by tenant?

if clause states "if rent unpaid for seven days [...] landlord shall be entitled to immediate take possession of the premises"
Reply With Quote
  #20950 (permalink)  
Old 15-03-2024, 09:08 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not the poster who posted the 'circular argument' reply. I'm the initial poster who asked for someone to explain in simple terms why frontloading is bad.

But that's the thing though. I still haven't really seen any compelling reason which clearly explains why frontloading is such a bs practice.

On an annual comp basis, if one gets "$X" in total for the entire year, does it really matter whether "$X" is divided between higher monthly and lower end year bonus, vs lower monthly and higher end year bonus?
Say you are paid $4,500 per month (that’s your base).
But if firms were to pay $4,500 per month, no one would join.

So to entice young associates, they pay $6,000 for instance. But the $1,500 is frontloaded.

Which means when you get your bonus of 2-3 months, it is based on the $4,500 per month. So if you calculated $4,500 x 3 months (bonus) it’s equal to $13,500 which is 2.25 months on $6,000 salary.

In firms that don’t practice front load, it means your bonus of 3-4 months is based on $7,500. That’s the meaning
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
CIMB Apprentice 2024 ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 436 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,234 Replies, 3,893,320 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,841 Replies, 2,477,492 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
17,168 Replies, 5,295,385 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,443 Replies, 7,007,651 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,274 Replies, 10,653,285 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,874 Replies, 1,550,498 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,492 Replies, 2,487,629 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,892 Replies, 1,501,063 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,992 Replies, 4,820,437 Views
INL Agency? Brand Communication...
1 Replies, 101 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,938 Replies, 2,960,521 Views
Civil Service Current Estimated... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
191 Replies, 324,007 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
895 Replies, 424,663 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,319 Replies, 672,720 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,603 Replies, 1,441,004 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,190 Replies, 1,128,911 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
184 Replies, 236,051 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,174 Replies, 666,143 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
776 Replies, 452,689 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,373 Replies, 1,196,020 Views
Insights on Post-interview Process
8 Replies, 4,261 Views
Civil Servant Bonus Mid-2023 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
168 Replies, 164,874 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,867 Replies, 1,621,234 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
342 Replies, 391,767 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,480 Replies, 3,549,454 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,478 Replies, 12,762,303 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
429 Replies, 516,123 Views
Changi Airport Group ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
473 Replies, 641,566 Views
CAD (Commercial Affairs Department) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
231 Replies, 262,322 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2