Anyone jobless for a long time before? - Page 36 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 06-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Unregistered

You deliberately write in bad English, or is this really your standard?

If it is, I feel sorry for your employer and NUS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi
Dont give up, went through same painful journey but managed to found my job after sending out (lost count of how many) of resume after 1.5 yrs.

Finally got a offer that requires undergraduate degree.(FYI, i have a phd from NUS, 33 yrs old). Pay not as high as i expected being a phd holder but at least save me from feeling tension of being jobless. Managed to jump to another company after 2 yrs and now is getting a "reasonable" pay.
Advise is put down your expectation and you will find one! Good Luck!

Old 06-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Unregistered

Hi all, I can relate to what you all are going through and I wanted to share my experience and hopefully be at least of a little help to someone.

End of 2012 graduated with a private degree (Bsc). However, I chose to join my good friend in trying out a property salesperson role. Unfortunately that did not work out for me and I decided to leave by 3rd quarter of 2013. Began searching for jobs since then and was really complacent thinking that I'll get a job through recruiting agencies. 3 months passed and I got really desperate because relatives would ask what I was doing during CNY. By then I had already checked every job ads websites, gotten a few interviews and lowering all of my expectations. I learnt how to deal with interviews the hard way and thus had very bad replies in the first few interviews. As they say, a smart man learn through his own mistakes but a wise man learn through others' mistakes. So checking and practising interviews is very important, check out information on the company and technical questions related to your job scope. By the start of 2014, I was waking up at 5-6am everyday to check the new job ads and sending in resumes directly to the company before 8am(with the mindset that when HR people check mails, my resume would be one of the first few and thus increase my chances in some way). Some interviews were really brutal and the HR people would make snide remarks at my private degree, kept trying to push me away saying all the bad terms they can only offer me even if they accept me. But I held on and replied calmly saying I know of my own qualifications and would accept as what the company deemed fit. I had sent over 10-20 resumes everyday, always checking my phone, feeling depressed after all the bad interviews. Then I finally got one offer after 6 months, the terms weren't good but hey, I can't complain since I do not have solid working experience and it was still related to my own field that I studied. I contemplated awhile but accepted it and I felt that the working experience would be good nonetheless, especially when company-hopping in the future.

PS: The company that offered me was the one that the HR people made a lot of snide remarks at me while I replied their questions calmly with politically correct answers. I know it gets depressing, I know it gets really shitty. Your friends and family will always ask redundant questions that raise your anger level. But at the end of the day, I always tell myself there is only one solution to all of these unpleasant feelings/situations and that is getting a job. So I focused on that objective instead of negative feelings everyday.

TLDR: Your mentality is very important and if you already have previous working experience/studied so much till this point, believe in yourself. A bird does not rest on a tree branch because it believes in the branch not breaking, but because it has faith in its own wings.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:52 AM
Unregistered

Hi all, in a dilemma. Jobless for coming 5 months. Had unstable job history. Determined to get into a particular industry. So i was very selective in my applications and avoid agencies.

* I took quite some time to land my first job after graduation, turned out I had lots of OT n the pay wasn't justifiable for the hours/effort. I guess I got employed only cos of my low request in the pay back then. Left w/o a job. *

Found one 3 months later. Extremely hostile work environment. Couldn't sleep at night, hated going in for work and contemplated resigning many times. Turns out, the company let people go due to budget problems (start up-ish co) and i was one of them. *

Been searching since then, was offered something 2 months back but rejected it due to only 10 AL days and some other issues that made me feel uncomfortable. * The ironic thing is that I am being offered something now but it is at a much lower pay (bounced back to my first job's pay) and also at 10 days AL. How ridiculous is it that i rejected the offer back then only to end up a worse offer now? This is a small/med company and i will reporting to a foreign manager (locally based). *

Just felt the pay and AL are not what I want and there's communication issues due to the reporting manager's proficiency in English. I am afraid that if i accept the job i will feel resentment later on in the job due to not meeting my pay expectations. However, I am really worried that I won't be able to find a job soon since the graduates are joining the market soon. *

My concern is if this company doesn't work out for me again, my resume will be crap and labelled as a job hopper. Another part of me also think that since i have already waited for so long for a good opportunity to come by, why settle for something less now?

* Should I accept the job? They need to hire urgently and been chasing me for a reply. I am actually waiting to hear back from another company but was told that there will be 2 more rounds of interviews during the first interview. Not confident that i will make it but really keen to join them. Pay and AL should be more in this company cos they are operating under a MNC.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi all, in a dilemma. Jobless for coming 5 months. Had unstable job history. Determined to get into a particular industry. So i was very selective in my applications and avoid agencies.

* I took quite some time to land my first job after graduation, turned out I had lots of OT n the pay wasn't justifiable for the hours/effort. I guess I got employed only cos of my low request in the pay back then. Left w/o a job. *

Found one 3 months later. Extremely hostile work environment. Couldn't sleep at night, hated going in for work and contemplated resigning many times. Turns out, the company let people go due to budget problems (start up-ish co) and i was one of them. *

Been searching since then, was offered something 2 months back but rejected it due to only 10 AL days and some other issues that made me feel uncomfortable. * The ironic thing is that I am being offered something now but it is at a much lower pay (bounced back to my first job's pay) and also at 10 days AL. How ridiculous is it that i rejected the offer back then only to end up a worse offer now? This is a small/med company and i will reporting to a foreign manager (locally based). *

Just felt the pay and AL are not what I want and there's communication issues due to the reporting manager's proficiency in English. I am afraid that if i accept the job i will feel resentment later on in the job due to not meeting my pay expectations. However, I am really worried that I won't be able to find a job soon since the graduates are joining the market soon. *

My concern is if this company doesn't work out for me again, my resume will be crap and labelled as a job hopper. Another part of me also think that since i have already waited for so long for a good opportunity to come by, why settle for something less now?

* Should I accept the job? They need to hire urgently and been chasing me for a reply. I am actually waiting to hear back from another company but was told that there will be 2 more rounds of interviews during the first interview. Not confident that i will make it but really keen to join them. Pay and AL should be more in this company cos they are operating under a MNC.
Considering you have been searching for a few months, I would recommend you take up this current offer. I think your concerns regarding new graduates entering the market is valid. You can always continue to go for the other interview and search for other jobs after you have accepted this one.

I think having something in your resume is better than a gap, if not you could always leave out this new employment in your resume if you wish to. At least now you have a choice to add it in or leave it as a gap.

Like what they always say, it is easier to find a new job when you're employed.

Good luck.
Old 17-03-2014, 10:23 AM

floralpeace is on a distinguished road

I think im in similar shoe to abv. I grad n found my first job which I stayed 11 months. Quit without a job n gt another one within one week but quit on first day cz of working environment. Nw omos one month gap in resume.
Old 17-03-2014, 10:31 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by floralpeace View Post
I think im in similar shoe to abv. I grad n found my first job which I stayed 11 months. Quit without a job n gt another one within one week but quit on first day cz of working environment. Nw omos one month gap in resume.
why did you quit on first day? was it very bad?

Old 17-03-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
why did you quit on first day? was it very bad?
Its near mortuary. I quite timid. Could nt forsee staying thr two yrs. 2nd job shud be stay as long as possible since first job dun look nice cz 11 months.
Old 18-03-2014, 05:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Its near mortuary. I quite timid. Could nt forsee staying thr two yrs. 2nd job shud be stay as long as possible since first job dun look nice cz 11 months.
Is it just you, or have all the graduates' English Language proficiency deteroriated over the years? If so, I can understand why our graduates are finding it hard to secure a job these days.

I know this is just a forum, and there is no actual need to write "better". But do make it a point to write in proper sentences and spell out your words. Professionalism is one of the most basic criteria in securing any jobs.
Old 18-03-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Is it just you, or have all the graduates' English Language proficiency deteroriated over the years? If so, I can understand why our graduates are finding it hard to secure a job these days.

I know this is just a forum, and there is no actual need to write "better". But do make it a point to write in proper sentences and spell out your words. Professionalism is one of the most basic criteria in securing any jobs.
I gt a few offers. Nt hving difficulty securing job just that im quite picky.
So ur a diploma grad w gd english with good job security yet come to this thread? Its gd to see ppl boosting ego this way.
Old 19-03-2014, 09:18 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I gt a few offers. Nt hving difficulty securing job just that im quite picky.
So ur a diploma grad w gd english with good job security yet come to this thread? Its gd to see ppl boosting ego this way.
No I am not boosting my ego nor am I putting anyone down. I was merely dishing out an advice to all who wish to learn. It is a fact that bad habits stick, and no one wants to appear unprofessional to their prospective employers do they?

Though I am tickled as to how you derived your conclusion about me.