Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Anyone jobless for a long time before? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2271-anyone-jobless-long-time-before.html)

Liverpool 09-11-2012 07:14 PM

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

How did you deal with it?

Any tips for looking for the next job?

Did you all make any adjustments to your lifestyle?

How did you all feel during this period?

been jobless since Aug. Been sending job applications since then. Either rejections or no replies. Feeling very desperate at the moment and feeling really sucks as I stay at home everyday. Now looking to give tuition classes to get some cash. Lucky I don't have a family yet else I will be really stressed. Any seniors here care to share their experience?

Unregistered 09-11-2012 08:41 PM

26 year old

Hi

I have been "jobless" since June until now. Currently I am working part time at a US MNC in the chemical industry. I will start work with Apple next month.

This was what I had been doing for the past 5 months since graduating from NUS BBA:

I think I sent more 250 resumes, I lost count but thats about right there.

I went for numerous interviews and only a handful replied but no follow up after 2nd interview.

Within 1 month, I BUAY TA HAN and went applied for a part time job and started working in Orchard until Aug. The job was so busy I hardly had time to for anything else.

After than I took a 1 month break to "FULL FORCE" apply for full time job. And I successfully got a job at Apple and a job with Adobe and a job with the Civil Service as a Senior Officer.

This time, I took a long hard look in the mirror at myself, bloody hell I will get a full time job. Days before the interview I would study the company and the job nature like it was an exam.

Now I am temporarily doing part time at 60 per day in a US MNC waiting for December to come and I can start work Full time at Apple.

ADVICE: DONT GIVE UP, KEEP APPLYING AND APPLYING. FREE ONE! JUST APPLY!!! MIRACLE CAN HAPPEN!

Unregistered 09-11-2012 08:49 PM

whats the position at apple and what is the pay offered, may i ask? thanks. also jobless.

Unregistered 09-11-2012 10:08 PM

jobless for longer time then the posters above. (yes i'm slightly choosy on the job scope, although less picky on the pay.)

live day by day for now.. stay home almost everyday. look at job portals everyday. stay positive lor.

where to find the part time jobs? job portals also? i have also applied for contract jobs to no avail though...

Unregistered 09-11-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liverpool (Post 30080)
How did you deal with it?

Any tips for looking for the next job?

Did you all make any adjustments to your lifestyle?

How did you all feel during this period?

been jobless since Aug. Been sending job applications since then. Either rejections or no replies. Feeling very desperate at the moment and feeling really sucks as I stay at home everyday. Now looking to give tuition classes to get some cash. Lucky I don't have a family yet else I will be really stressed. Any seniors here care to share their experience?

I jobless for 14 mths b4 i got a new job recently,....attend 20 interviews during this period!!!! good luck to you...

male
with 4 year exp NTU degree 2lower

Unregistered 09-11-2012 10:32 PM

hi to the above poster.

Is inconceivable that you cannot find a part time or contract job? you go to any recruiter they will be more than happy to take you.

Liverpool 10-11-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30087)
I jobless for 14 mths b4 i got a new job recently,....attend 20 interviews during this period!!!! good luck to you...

male
with 4 year exp NTU degree 2lower

14 mths???? omg. what did you go through?

Liverpool 10-11-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30089)
hi to the above poster.

Is inconceivable that you cannot find a part time or contract job? you go to any recruiter they will be more than happy to take you.

are you talking about relevant part time/ contract jobs related to your work experience or non relevant ones, like give out flyers, help out at events, etc?

first type is v hard to find. second part i am seriously considering.

Unregistered 10-11-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liverpool (Post 30100)
14 mths???? omg. what did you go through?

use my saving loh, btw I still continue to give my parent allowance monthly during this period, $0.8k/mth..

oldmaid 10-11-2012 02:37 PM

since I got back to Singapore last year sept 2011.. I have been looking for job.

so technically, i have been jobless for a year and 3 months... recently got an offer but terms in the employment contract has the following:

a) a wage freeze for 2yrs ie, 2013-2014. for those 2 years, my monthly income will not increase.

b) leave - not allowed to take leave during Christmas, New Year, chinese new year and Easter.

c) I have to cover other staffs' work, I am a paralegal but have to cover other secretaries work.

d) on top of that, I have to make sure I have enough billables to cover my ass.

e) probation period is 4.5months!!!

not sure if I should take this job or give it a miss! :confused::confused: