Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Anyone jobless for a long time before? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2271-anyone-jobless-long-time-before.html)

Unregistered 28-12-2015 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 77302)
hi all, would like to get some advice. recently started a new job in nov, but i realized it was not what i had expected and enjoy. pay is ok but not learning much with little to do. the only reason i took up my current job was because of office politics in my previous job, where i was forced to leave. i only worked at my previous job for 1yr and my current for 1mth plus. I would like to change job again but am afraid i would look like a job hopper with no commitment. what is a good way around this? should i disclose my current 1 mth status? tot of quiting w/o a job but everyone say it is not advisable. i am only 23 yrs old, local uni grad.

Try to hang around for at least 1-2 years. The global economy is slowing down significantly and it is not really that easy to get a job fast and hoping around with short stints laterally at entry level just make the CV worse.

aplover 28-12-2015 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 77302)
hi all, would like to get some advice. recently started a new job in nov, but i realized it was not what i had expected and enjoy. pay is ok but not learning much with little to do. the only reason i took up my current job was because of office politics in my previous job, where i was forced to leave. i only worked at my previous job for 1yr and my current for 1mth plus. I would like to change job again but am afraid i would look like a job hopper with no commitment. what is a good way around this? should i disclose my current 1 mth status? tot of quiting w/o a job but everyone say it is not advisable. i am only 23 yrs old, local uni grad.

Actually you do not have commitment, that's why you want to jump again. Not every job is going to be perfect. you should at least give it 6months to try it out. Then see how it goes. If really after 6months, things are beyond your control to change things, then i think you can seriously consider changing job.

If you say that your current job doesn't have much to learn why not you push for more things to be done? Ask for more duties/responsibilities. Do more, suggest more, volunteer more. Then next year you can justify a nice big increment for yourself.

oryon 28-12-2015 04:28 PM

We are DIRECT EMPLOYER and looking for Full Time Corporate Sales Executive. Our office located near MacPherson MRT station and we believe in work life balance, so our office hour from Monday-Friday, 9am-6pm.

CORPORATE SALES JOB DESCRIPTION
• . Manage and grow a geographical sales territory by developing existing customers and winning new accounts.
• . Positive, committed and hardworking
• . No experience required as training will be provided
• . Basic Salary + Commission.

REQUIREMENTS:
• . Singaporean/ Singapore PR
• . N/O Levels/ITE/Diploma holder

* Kindly forward detailed resume including expected salary and availability to commence work to [email protected]
*We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.

Unregistered 05-01-2016 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aplover (Post 77307)
Actually you do not have commitment, that's why you want to jump again. Not every job is going to be perfect. you should at least give it 6months to try it out. Then see how it goes. If really after 6months, things are beyond your control to change things, then i think you can seriously consider changing job.

If you say that your current job doesn't have much to learn why not you push for more things to be done? Ask for more duties/responsibilities. Do more, suggest more, volunteer more. Then next year you can justify a nice big increment for yourself.

i tried asking my boss for more things to do but have mostly been doing admin things. not much value add at all. dont feel i am learning much. realized my predecessor only lasted 2mths and the previous less than a year. feel that this job is a dead end job. Will it be better to quit now w/o a job? difficult to go for interviews with current job.

Unregistered 05-01-2016 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 77583)
i tried asking my boss for more things to do but have mostly been doing admin things. not much value add at all. dont feel i am learning much. realized my predecessor only lasted 2mths and the previous less than a year. feel that this job is a dead end job. Will it be better to quit now w/o a job? difficult to go for interviews with current job.

A job is not just about making money. A job must be meaningful. Why not join nursing? It is a meaningful job as you are serving humanity.

Unregistered 08-01-2016 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 77586)
A job is not just about making money. A job must be meaningful. Why not join nursing? It is a meaningful job as you are serving humanity.

Not many jobs are actually meaningful to a person. Depends on the person. Even desk bound job can be meaningful to a person if that is what a person wants to do only.

Being a teacher is also meaningful but not for everyone if they do not have the passion to teach. Likewise for nursing, it may be meaningful but if you do not have the passion to help patients change diapers, wipe their vomit, etc. then sorry, this is not the job for you even if it is a meaningful job.

Unregistered 08-01-2016 12:36 PM

Even a job doing photocopying all day is meaningful. Someone has to do it. You must convince yourself that if no one does the photocopying, how can we conduct our meetings without the materials. Even the janitor is doing a meaningful job as he makes sure you have clean toilets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 77739)
Not many jobs are actually meaningful to a person. Depends on the person. Even desk bound job can be meaningful to a person if that is what a person wants to do only.

Being a teacher is also meaningful but not for everyone if they do not have the passion to teach. Likewise for nursing, it may be meaningful but if you do not have the passion to help patients change diapers, wipe their vomit, etc. then sorry, this is not the job for you even if it is a meaningful job.


Unregistered 08-01-2016 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 77586)
A job is not just about making money. A job must be meaningful. Why not join nursing? It is a meaningful job as you are serving humanity.


are you a nurse? do you clear **** before breakfast and lunch..
see blood before drink your favourite watermelon tomato juice..

if not don't anyhow comment... else you

Unregistered 08-01-2016 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 77782)
are you a nurse? do you clear **** before breakfast and lunch..
see blood before drink your favourite watermelon tomato juice..

if not don't anyhow comment... else you


opps.... S!ht was starred x 4

Unregistered 09-01-2016 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 77583)
i tried asking my boss for more things to do but have mostly been doing admin things. not much value add at all. dont feel i am learning much. realized my predecessor only lasted 2mths and the previous less than a year. feel that this job is a dead end job. Will it be better to quit now w/o a job? difficult to go for interviews with current job.

Hey there, I actually experienced similar things and I can understand that agony of being in the wrong job. I am also a fresh local Uni grad and I got into my first job that was totally not suitable for me. There are stuffs to learn but definitely not relevant and not aligned with my future career goals. I also thought of quitting my job first, so that I will have time to find other jobs. Well, you can do this if earning money right now is not your priority, and you most probably have to remove your current job experience from your resume as one month plus wouldn't look good. I agree that applying leaves to go for interviews was a tough feat, especially when you apply for MNCs which may require several rounds. And that was what I did and lucky for me that I managed to find a more ideal job. I would advise you not to quit first and just continue applying for jobs and take leaves to go for interviews. This will be a "safer" choice since you can secure another job before quitting. Just need to be more hardworking, haha. Good luck to you! :)


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2