Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Anyone jobless for a long time before? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2271-anyone-jobless-long-time-before.html)

Liverpool 09-11-2012 07:14 PM

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

How did you deal with it?

Any tips for looking for the next job?

Did you all make any adjustments to your lifestyle?

How did you all feel during this period?

been jobless since Aug. Been sending job applications since then. Either rejections or no replies. Feeling very desperate at the moment and feeling really sucks as I stay at home everyday. Now looking to give tuition classes to get some cash. Lucky I don't have a family yet else I will be really stressed. Any seniors here care to share their experience?

Unregistered 09-11-2012 08:41 PM

26 year old

Hi

I have been "jobless" since June until now. Currently I am working part time at a US MNC in the chemical industry. I will start work with Apple next month.

This was what I had been doing for the past 5 months since graduating from NUS BBA:

I think I sent more 250 resumes, I lost count but thats about right there.

I went for numerous interviews and only a handful replied but no follow up after 2nd interview.

Within 1 month, I BUAY TA HAN and went applied for a part time job and started working in Orchard until Aug. The job was so busy I hardly had time to for anything else.

After than I took a 1 month break to "FULL FORCE" apply for full time job. And I successfully got a job at Apple and a job with Adobe and a job with the Civil Service as a Senior Officer.

This time, I took a long hard look in the mirror at myself, bloody hell I will get a full time job. Days before the interview I would study the company and the job nature like it was an exam.

Now I am temporarily doing part time at 60 per day in a US MNC waiting for December to come and I can start work Full time at Apple.

ADVICE: DONT GIVE UP, KEEP APPLYING AND APPLYING. FREE ONE! JUST APPLY!!! MIRACLE CAN HAPPEN!

Unregistered 09-11-2012 08:49 PM

whats the position at apple and what is the pay offered, may i ask? thanks. also jobless.

Unregistered 09-11-2012 10:08 PM

jobless for longer time then the posters above. (yes i'm slightly choosy on the job scope, although less picky on the pay.)

live day by day for now.. stay home almost everyday. look at job portals everyday. stay positive lor.

where to find the part time jobs? job portals also? i have also applied for contract jobs to no avail though...

Unregistered 09-11-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liverpool (Post 30080)
How did you deal with it?

Any tips for looking for the next job?

Did you all make any adjustments to your lifestyle?

How did you all feel during this period?

been jobless since Aug. Been sending job applications since then. Either rejections or no replies. Feeling very desperate at the moment and feeling really sucks as I stay at home everyday. Now looking to give tuition classes to get some cash. Lucky I don't have a family yet else I will be really stressed. Any seniors here care to share their experience?

I jobless for 14 mths b4 i got a new job recently,....attend 20 interviews during this period!!!! good luck to you...

male
with 4 year exp NTU degree 2lower

Unregistered 09-11-2012 10:32 PM

hi to the above poster.

Is inconceivable that you cannot find a part time or contract job? you go to any recruiter they will be more than happy to take you.

Liverpool 10-11-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30087)
I jobless for 14 mths b4 i got a new job recently,....attend 20 interviews during this period!!!! good luck to you...

male
with 4 year exp NTU degree 2lower

14 mths???? omg. what did you go through?

Liverpool 10-11-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30089)
hi to the above poster.

Is inconceivable that you cannot find a part time or contract job? you go to any recruiter they will be more than happy to take you.

are you talking about relevant part time/ contract jobs related to your work experience or non relevant ones, like give out flyers, help out at events, etc?

first type is v hard to find. second part i am seriously considering.

Unregistered 10-11-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liverpool (Post 30100)
14 mths???? omg. what did you go through?

use my saving loh, btw I still continue to give my parent allowance monthly during this period, $0.8k/mth..

oldmaid 10-11-2012 02:37 PM

since I got back to Singapore last year sept 2011.. I have been looking for job.

so technically, i have been jobless for a year and 3 months... recently got an offer but terms in the employment contract has the following:

a) a wage freeze for 2yrs ie, 2013-2014. for those 2 years, my monthly income will not increase.

b) leave - not allowed to take leave during Christmas, New Year, chinese new year and Easter.

c) I have to cover other staffs' work, I am a paralegal but have to cover other secretaries work.

d) on top of that, I have to make sure I have enough billables to cover my ass.

e) probation period is 4.5months!!!

not sure if I should take this job or give it a miss! :confused::confused:

Unregistered 10-11-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmaid (Post 30105)
since I got back to Singapore last year sept 2011.. I have been looking for job.

so technically, i have been jobless for a year and 3 months... recently got an offer but terms in the employment contract has the following:

a) a wage freeze for 2yrs ie, 2013-2014. for those 2 years, my monthly income will not increase.

b) leave - not allowed to take leave during Christmas, New Year, chinese new year and Easter.

c) I have to cover other staffs' work, I am a paralegal but have to cover other secretaries work.

d) on top of that, I have to make sure I have enough billables to cover my ass.

e) probation period is 4.5months!!!

not sure if I should take this job or give it a miss! :confused::confused:

How much are they offering you?

oldmaid 10-11-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30106)
How much are they offering you?

around 4.3k

oldmaid 10-11-2012 02:44 PM

also, no variable bonus.

Unregistered 10-11-2012 02:45 PM

Take the job and look for another one immediately while working for this one.

oldmaid 10-11-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30109)
Take the job and look for another one immediately while working for this one.

yeah, after much consideration, I was thinking along that same line.

since the probation is 4.5 months... and to resign during probation, I only need to serve 1 week... I figured by the time my probation ends (which the letter of offer states 31 March 2013), many people would resign so more job openings are available so if I am offered something better I could leave.

If I do not need to cover those lazy, super tai chi, mummy-secretaries (who take leave and "keng" MC for their children), I would be most happy to slave for them. my issue is cover for those lazy, "keng" MC mummy-secretaries.

Unregistered 12-11-2012 02:53 PM

Been unemployed since July 2012 and have been looking out for a decent job with some career prospects but i think the market is slow at year end so oh well, fingers crossed, just cut your spending if you can, but knowing its Decemeber with all the festivities around the corner, it could be tough.

poor and stupid 12-11-2012 05:58 PM

If you are above 40.... and out of job for more than 3mths.... to be safe go take taxi license 1st.

Unregistered 12-11-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30205)
Been unemployed since July 2012 and have been looking out for a decent job with some career prospects but i think the market is slow at year end so oh well, fingers crossed, just cut your spending if you can, but knowing its Decemeber with all the festivities around the corner, it could be tough.

i started job search around july as well. yes the market is slow with advertisements looking for managerial or above which i dont qualify for. so far in november i only sent 1 application.

Unregistered 12-11-2012 11:03 PM

for those who took up part time or contract work, how do you manage your committment level? say, if you got a 3-month contract job, you are basically locked down for that period of time right? what kind of problems do you guys have when it comes to interviews scheduled in short notice period or having to take leave a few days a month for interviews?

Unregistered 12-11-2012 11:47 PM

i did those temporary 2-3 days a week kind of temp jobs, so as to be able to go for any interviews and schedule accordingly when they did come up, only in the most desperate of circumstances should you commit to a 3 - 6 month contract job, as we know that is only a stopgap measure as you will be looking for yet another job (and hence experience joblessness) all over again.

Try to commit 100% to get a job that you really want, and only if that fails do and your savings is getting low do you do a 3-6 month contract job.

Unregistered 13-11-2012 09:55 AM

Even doing contract you can still go for interview. I just apply for 2 or 3 months contract job, and take half day off on days I have interview. I also try to schedule the interviews into one single day where possible.

Unregistered 13-11-2012 12:51 PM

I have been jobless since last year december till now. Decided to switch field. Very stress up currently..

nuaster 14-11-2012 12:49 PM

Have been jobless since July. Gave up my $3K salary per month after working for more than 6 years. Now still can't find a job after getting my part-time degree. Sent out countless resume. Only got a few interviews. Was offered a $2K job but I rejected it.

poor and stupid 14-11-2012 03:29 PM

Maybe those that cant find a job, can share with the rest what type of jobs you applied for? Asking salary?

Unregistered 14-11-2012 03:52 PM

I applied many times of job since graduation and I got offer ranging from 2,300 to 2,900. but i took the 2,800 coz the company is MNC. december start work

Unregistered 15-11-2012 01:23 PM

I applied for admin, marketing but no decent offers despite having a part-time degree. The best offer was $2,300. Was looking for about $2,500.

Unregistered 15-11-2012 01:50 PM

I graduated from NUS with a BBA this year May.

currently, I am offered a role at US MNC for 2,700. After CPF is 2160. with annual AWS.

What do you guys honestly think about this compensation package?

Unregistered 15-11-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30398)
I graduated from NUS with a BBA this year May.

currently, I am offered a role at US MNC for 2,700. After CPF is 2160. with annual AWS.

What do you guys honestly think about this compensation package?

Take it. It is a pretty good offer. Since it is an MNC, there are also prospects for further career advancement.

Unregistered 15-11-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poor and stupid (Post 30327)
Maybe those that cant find a job, can share with the rest what type of jobs you applied for? Asking salary?

All

I have a job and am paid well. But I practially have nothing much to do. I felt useless at times. I am not sure if I should give it up and find something that is more fulfilling than hanging around and looking forward to the pay day every month.

Unregistered 15-11-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30406)
All

I have a job and am paid well. But I practially have nothing much to do. I felt useless at times. I am not sure if I should give it up and find something that is more fulfilling than hanging around and looking forward to the pay day every month.

Drop that crazy idea. Be contented that you are paid well. Seek happiness outside of work -- get a hobby, make friends, volunteer.

Unregistered 15-11-2012 08:35 PM

Quit the job and dont waste your time sitting around for that month end paycheck, you need to be learning valuable skills everyday and be proactive, at your age you need to be garnering all kinds of usefull skillsets not sitting ard just collecting money and not learning anything that can further your career. In the long run, you will lose out to your more knowledge hungry peers.

Unregistered 16-11-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30406)
All

Well, if you are still young, armed with the relevant paper qualifications and energy to start your career all over again, maybe you can consider getting a new job so as not to have any regrets in life.

However, if you have bills to pay and especially if you have any dependents, it is better to remain at your job and get the salary since it pays you well.

Just out of curiosity, what is your job scope and industry? Is there such a good job???

Unregistered 16-11-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30415)
Quit the job and dont waste your time sitting around for that month end paycheck, you need to be learning valuable skills everyday and be proactive, at your age you need to be garnering all kinds of usefull skillsets not sitting ard just collecting money and not learning anything that can further your career. In the long run, you will lose out to your more knowledge hungry peers.

bad advice.

if you find a golden goose but a boring one, continue milking it.

learning new things is overrated. there's a phd who had to resort to driving a taxi (and i'm sure he didn't make 7k). mind you, he got his phd from Stanford and he was publishing new and useful stuff in his field. still, he was kicked out of his research institution due to politics.

it's just luck, bro.

if you luck out, be contented and don't complain that it's "boring".

Unregistered 16-11-2012 12:43 PM

Life is short. Just Quit!

No point working in a meaningless job with no growth - when you stop growing you die

I made a bold step 10 years ago to go into teaching after 15 years of corporate life

I had a good position with a great package but I was stuck and found my job becoming meaningless by the day. I asked myself what I really want, it is not money but a meaningful life. I took the plunge, had a pay cut and never looked back. I am happy today working with young people. My life is now very meaningful.

Unregistered 16-11-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30428)
Well, if you are still young, armed with the relevant paper qualifications and energy to start your career all over again, maybe you can consider getting a new job so as not to have any regrets in life.

However, if you have bills to pay and especially if you have any dependents, it is better to remain at your job and get the salary since it pays you well.

Just out of curiosity, what is your job scope and industry? Is there such a good job???

My package is in the range of 200 to 250 k per year. I am in my early 40s.

Unregistered 17-11-2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30469)
My package is in the range of 200 to 250 k per year. I am in my early 40s.

U gotta be kidding...such a good job and you want to quit? You gotta be out of your mind...

Unregistered 17-11-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30490)
U gotta be kidding...such a good job and you want to quit? You gotta be out of your mind...

If you are purely looking at the package, yes indeed.

But if you are just passing day by day and not knowing what lies ahead, it is frustrating. This has been on going for 2 years.

Unregistered 17-11-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30514)

But if you are just passing day by day and not knowing what lies ahead, it is frustrating. This has been on going for 2 years.

dude what is your rank in the company? Senior manager or MD or GM

Unregistered 17-11-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30514)

I would love to have your job. Seriously. Care to share what is your job about and the level of management you are in?

Unregistered 17-11-2012 11:37 AM

this guy is a big cannon!! talking cock bloody cock. 200k per annum doing nothing? ********. you must be at least doing something like strategic decision making if you are so high level. ******** big cannon asshole. the way he talk like mocking us. OH I GET PAID 200,000 AND I AM FRUSTRATED NOTHING TO DO.. GO GET A LIFE LAH LOSER.