Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Anyone jobless for a long time before? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2271-anyone-jobless-long-time-before.html)

Unregistered 19-11-2012 08:11 PM

ahhaah true, the poorer folks have what is called the 'Ah Q' mentality, with spiritual victories to justify their lack of work ethic and ambition (with rationale of 'work life balance', better health, being more zen buddhist, not money minded etc) lol

Unregistered 19-11-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30638)
All this talk about rich people feel very sian, hard to work with office politics or trapped by money nonsense is just something touted by poor under-achievers to convince themselves and others in the same boat why life "sux" being rich and high up in senior management. This has the effect of making them feel less paifuln about their lack of material possession and lifestyle while giving the impression they could have achieved much more, but "conciously" choose to downgrade themselves.

Fastest way to smoke this kind of people out is to ask them if given a choice will they choose:

a) being trapped by money, sian driving a car, show off to save face and playing office politics with lots of money

b) poor in rat race, with lost of "work life balance" and spiritual well-being

Suddenly 95% of the people dont mind being "trapped" after all.

"People with advantages are loath to believe that they just happen to be people with advantages. They come readily to define themselves as inherently worthy of what they possess; they come to believe themselves 'naturally' elite" - C Wright Mills

Unregistered 19-11-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30640)
"People with advantages are loath to believe that they just happen to be people with advantages. They come readily to define themselves as inherently worthy of what they possess; they come to believe themselves 'naturally' elite" - C Wright Mills

"People who under achieve are loath to believe that they just happen to be people who are unlucky. They come readily to define themselves as inherently set for far greater things than their character command; they come to believe themselves to be the elite if only lady luck was on their side" - Unregistered @ Salary.sg

Unregistered 19-11-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30641)
"People who under achieve are loath to believe that they just happen to be people who are unlucky. They come readily to define themselves as inherently set for far greater things than their character command; they come to believe themselves to be the elite if only lady luck was on their side" - Unregistered @ Salary.sg

Mimicry is the highest form of flattery, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. Pick your poison.
Your line by line translation makes no sense either, your first sentence and middle sentence contradict.

Ter 20-11-2012 12:34 AM

Hi are you or your friends looking for a change of environment, a better career opportunities
We are international base sale and marketing solution company helping established clients to increase their market shares. We are have vacancy for sales executive and also looking for 3 sales management trainees who will be developed from basic sales and marketing to team management and eventually campaign management.
We welcome entry level candidates who are driven, dynamic with great attitude*
18 and above
Remuneration*
Sale executive $2k-$4k*
Team manager $4k-$5k
If you think yourselves or your friends suits the role, please pm me
Thanks

Unregistered 20-11-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30526)
oh, sorry i forgot to introduce myself. i am 24 this year still studying. he is 40+. if you wanna compare, at least know how to compare apple to apple, not durian to watermelon.

Exactly. You still do not know what a paycheck means to someone who has a family. So don't be too quick to judge. When you reach that stage in life, you might be feeling the same.

Unregistered 20-11-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30650)
Mimicry is the highest form of flattery, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. Pick your poison.
Your line by line translation makes no sense either, your first sentence and middle sentence contradict.

Throwing up random quotes is the lamest form of faux intelligencia. Of all people you quote a committed marxist communist and good friend of the brutal Soviet Union regime.

To put it plainly in Singlish, cannot make it in life don't sour grapes and act atas by talking cheem.

Unregistered 20-11-2012 11:05 AM

All of you shut up lah.. Why so many lame comments? Argue here argue there go kopi tiam argue lah..
Don't kp kb here. English so good go apply to be literature lecturer at nus. Don't lecture us folks here.

Unregistered 20-11-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30664)
All of you shut up lah.. Why so many lame comments? Argue here argue there go kopi tiam argue lah..
Don't kp kb here. English so good go apply to be literature lecturer at nus. Don't lecture us folks here.

Go 1 corner and cry lah boy boy.

Unregistered 20-11-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30662)
Throwing up random quotes is the lamest form of faux intelligencia. Of all people you quote a committed marxist communist and good friend of the brutal Soviet Union regime.

To put it plainly in Singlish, cannot make it in life don't sour grapes and act atas by talking cheem.

Ah yes. The act smart argument, I cannot reply further because any attempt to do so would be construed as acting smart.

Unregistered 20-11-2012 11:56 AM

why are people on forums so pretentious?

act smart still not enough, have to be so pretentious?

Cool it people

Unregistered 20-11-2012 11:58 AM

widomen eggs

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30665)
Go 1 corner and cry lah boy boy.

sorry i am not boy boy. i am baby only 3 year old.. kp kb bp bb sp sb knn b

Unregistered 20-11-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30667)
why are people on forums so pretentious?

act smart still not enough, have to be so pretentious?

Cool it people

Because people like you call me pretentious...isn't acting smart the same as being pretentious.

Must I patronise you?
Ok la I talk liddat k? knn kpkb liddat not pretentious even tho I dun talk like this eberidae

Unregistered 20-11-2012 09:33 PM

erm.. what has this forum turn into? A war of words?

anyways, I have been out of full time job for 5 months.. got offered a assistant finance analyst role for 2.4k in MNC.. and got a service executive role at a very large MNC.. top 5 in fortune 500.. for 2.6k..

I prefer finance, I don't like service... but I need the money being 5 months out of job..

Unregistered 21-11-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30690)
erm.. what has this forum turn into? A war of words?

anyways, I have been out of full time job for 5 months.. got offered a assistant finance analyst role for 2.4k in MNC.. and got a service executive role at a very large MNC.. top 5 in fortune 500.. for 2.6k..

I prefer finance, I don't like service... but I need the money being 5 months out of job..

Ignore these people pls coz some people are just out to waste bandwidth

I can sympathise with you, i was also out of job for 6 months and surviving on my savings, worse still i was in the midst of preparing for my wedding and i was undergoing hell during that period of time...

Lucky I managed to get a job straightaway after my wedding (think lady luck finally smile at me) even though I got a 20% paycut with a startup but at least I know i got money to feed my wife and myself w/o digging into my savings anymore....

Lesson learned here: DONT ever quit w/o a JOB....

Unregistered 21-11-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30702)
Ignore these people pls coz some people are just out to waste bandwidth

I can sympathise with you, i was also out of job for 6 months and surviving on my savings, worse still i was in the midst of preparing for my wedding and i was undergoing hell during that period of time...

Lucky I managed to get a job straightaway after my wedding (think lady luck finally smile at me) even though I got a 20% paycut with a startup but at least I know i got money to feed my wife and myself w/o digging into my savings anymore....

Lesson learned here: DONT ever quit w/o a JOB....

you sound like what I am feeling now.. desperate and have been dugging into my savings.. everyday drying up.. phone bills and my 3 times a day makan.. my savings down a lot for this period already.. if you know you are going to be out of job, you should have at least 10,000 in savings i guess..... it was a rash decision for me to quit the job in the heat of the moment...

1973 21-11-2012 12:32 PM

Extended period joblessness is no longer uncommon nowaday. You are not alone. The statistics show a very low unemployment rate...I am not sure if it paints a true picture. One thing for sure is that people are definitely taking longer time to find a job.

Read more genuine real stories in

http://www.transitioning.org/

Unregistered 21-11-2012 01:13 PM

I graduated from NTU before the millenium.
I studied Banking, but no banks wanted me.
Through a relative, I ended up doing part operations/part sales at an automotive distributor for over a year.
Through a classmate, I moved on to join a general insurance broking outfit for 2 years.
Through an industry referral, I moved on to join a general insurance company and stayed there for a long time.
Now, through a headhunter, I moved on to a reinsurance company and been working for almost a year.

You see, throughout my career, what I do has limited relevance to what I do. It's a stigma that all young fresh graduates must shake off.
And employment most often does not come to you via resumes (unless you are good looking and have an outstanding story to tell).
You are lucky if you can find what you like, otherwise find work that you don't hate (note: don't like is not the same as hate).
It will open other doors for you.
Sitting at home and deciding the $$ and ideal position will not give you the choice of the doors to open!

FYI, the general insurance industry greatly need Singaporeans. It's not a sales job, and you deal with a very cosmopolitan working community. Pay is not fantastic like the bankers, and not as glamourous as the bankers, but whoever that needed work, it's the next best thing in my view!

Unregistered 21-11-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30708)
I graduated from NTU before the millenium.
I studied Banking, but no banks wanted me.
Through a relative, I ended up doing part operations/part sales at an automotive distributor for over a year.
Through a classmate, I moved on to join a general insurance broking outfit for 2 years.
Through an industry referral, I moved on to join a general insurance company and stayed there for a long time.
Now, through a headhunter, I moved on to a reinsurance company and been working for almost a year.

You see, throughout my career, what I do has limited relevance to what I do. It's a stigma that all young fresh graduates must shake off.
And employment most often does not come to you via resumes (unless you are good looking and have an outstanding story to tell).
You are lucky if you can find what you like, otherwise find work that you don't hate (note: don't like is not the same as hate).
It will open other doors for you.
Sitting at home and deciding the $$ and ideal position will not give you the choice of the doors to open!

FYI, the general insurance industry greatly need Singaporeans. It's not a sales job, and you deal with a very cosmopolitan working community. Pay is not fantastic like the bankers, and not as glamourous as the bankers, but whoever that needed work, it's the next best thing in my view!

Not true you have to be good looking to apply via resume. My friend looks like a freaking psycho scientist (sorry) but obviously the recruiter saw something in him and offered him chemical engineer job at Exxon.

poor and stupid 21-11-2012 02:36 PM

Good looking or not is in the eye of the recruiter....

Anyone best advice there "DO NOT QUIT WITHOUT A NEW JOB"!!!

And ya, if you out of job, just grab any JOB first, then meanwhile look for a new one. You will never know if you decided that you liked it and want to make it a CAREER. Otherwise just keep looking!!

Most important thing is, get $$ 1st, dun care!! low pay? unless its lower than what you get for doing nothing;otherwise go for it.

One day in 2011 i applied for JOB, i register and spam jobstreet like 50positions, some i did not even read on monday morning (3am - 6am). Received a call on 10am, interview at 4pm, hired and started work 1st day of next month (my current job)

Of cos i did went to other interviews... about 7 others then i reject the rest liao.

Now is just collecting money while wasting bandwidth in forum.

Pay is ultra low la (ar bu then, so easy meh)

Trust me i am an "engineer", my pay is so low... I have to surf internet in office

Unregistered 21-11-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30469)
My package is in the range of 200 to 250 k per year. I am in my early 40s.

F U loser. Dont day dream here. 250k come in here talk rot... I doubt you even earn 25k a year! Wake up your bloody ideas! Dont come in and boast. Keyboard warrior. Loser in life.

Unregistered 22-11-2012 12:31 AM

I think the 200-250k per annum guy is troll lah....don't take seriously..

Unregistered 22-11-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30623)
Currently unemployed over a year. Graduate from local uni, jobs all taken by FT. Govt full employment is a lie.

Which uni, what degree ? Do you consider your expectations high or average? When I was fresh grad I was unemployed >6 months, but only looking at specific industries..

Unregistered 22-11-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30398)
I graduated from NUS with a BBA this year May.

currently, I am offered a role at US MNC for 2,700. After CPF is 2160. with annual AWS.

What do you guys honestly think about this compensation package?

Quite good for a freshie if you are non finance...

Unregistered 22-11-2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30393)
I applied for admin, marketing but no decent offers despite having a part-time degree. The best offer was $2,300. Was looking for about $2,500.

It is okay for admin, marketing jobs.. If this is your first job then don't hiam about the pay, you can always pick up working knowledge first and use it to have a pay increase when hopping...

RealShooter 22-11-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liverpool (Post 30080)
How did you deal with it?

Any tips for looking for the next job?

Did you all make any adjustments to your lifestyle?

How did you all feel during this period?

been jobless since Aug. Been sending job applications since then. Either rejections or no replies. Feeling very desperate at the moment and feeling really sucks as I stay at home everyday. Now looking to give tuition classes to get some cash. Lucky I don't have a family yet else I will be really stressed. Any seniors here care to share their experience?

3yrs 8mths jobless already and feel like ****, have been betting for a living since then. Anyone in the same fate as me??

RealShooter 22-11-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1973 (Post 30707)
Extended period joblessness is no longer uncommon nowaday. You are not alone. The statistics show a very low unemployment rate...I am not sure if it paints a true picture. One thing for sure is that people are definitely taking longer time to find a job.

Read more genuine real stories in

Support Site for The Unemployed & Underemployed|Support Site for The Unemployed & Underemployed

Yes...i'm one of them.It makes you feel very demoralized & useless.Had turn to betting to feed a family....the only job where i need not go for an interview. I believe i'm not the only one...btw i'm from IT industry where is populated with pinoy and indians FTs.

Unregistered 22-11-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30704)
you sound like what I am feeling now.. desperate and have been dugging into my savings.. everyday drying up.. phone bills and my 3 times a day makan.. my savings down a lot for this period already.. if you know you are going to be out of job, you should have at least 10,000 in savings i guess..... it was a rash decision for me to quit the job in the heat of the moment...

Yup just learn and move on....dont be rash which is the fatal characteristic of most youngsters (including me coz I am a youngster also)

Typical younster characteristic -> Boss give you a bit of scolding or negative comment you straightaway tell the boss to go fcuk himself and that you dont need his comments coz you plan to quit even though you dont have a job ie you think you are the next greatest human being to ever happen in human evolution. Yup I know a lot of you are nodding your heads now coz I was once like that also hahaha

Sighx those were the childish days, now with a wife in toll need to be more discipline...can only curse after work but not during work hahaha

Unregistered 22-11-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30721)
F U loser. Dont day dream here. 250k come in here talk rot... I doubt you even earn 25k a year! Wake up your bloody ideas! Dont come in and boast. Keyboard warrior. Loser in life.

aiya. there are 32 285 persons in singapore earning an average of 700k. there must be hundreds of thousands others earning 250k. he can be one of them and is just stating facts. why so worked up.

Unregistered 22-11-2012 09:08 PM

stteepe then

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30748)
Yup just learn and move on....dont be rash which is the fatal characteristic of most youngsters (including me coz I am a youngster also)

Typical younster characteristic -> Boss give you a bit of scolding or negative comment you straightaway tell the boss to go fcuk himself and that you dont need his comments coz you plan to quit even though you dont have a job ie you think you are the next greatest human being to ever happen in human evolution. Yup I know a lot of you are nodding your heads now coz I was once like that also hahaha

Sighx those were the childish days, now with a wife in toll need to be more discipline...can only curse after work but not during work hahaha

no la, it wasn't a problem I had with the boss.. I can take all sorts of criticism.. used to it already.. not a big deal...

Unregistered 22-11-2012 11:54 PM

Jobless since Aug 12

Hi,

I have been jobless since Aug 12 and have not been able to secure even an interview. I am in my mid 40s. If it continues this way till end of the year, I can say goodbye to going back to the workforce forever. Really sad...

Unregistered 23-11-2012 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30764)
Hi,

I have been jobless since Aug 12 and have not been able to secure even an interview. I am in my mid 40s. If it continues this way till end of the year, I can say goodbye to going back to the workforce forever. Really sad...

Don't give up. Have you considered driving a cab? It may not earn you 7k but if you work hard you and your family can definitely get by.

Unregistered 23-11-2012 01:50 AM

Quote:

Hi,

Have you tried applying govt jobs? Do they hire people aged 40+ btw?

Unregistered 23-11-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Hi,

Ya dont give up....I was jobless for 6 months and preparing for my wedding at the same time till I got a new job recently....

But its very true that once you hit the big 40s its very hard to look for new jobs or hop around..but I think its not the end of the world coz you may get another job (but with a steep pay cut, just bear with it and take the job till something better comes along) while at the same time you can learn new skills such as getting a class 4 license, getting certified in plumbing etc and later do a sideline.

Just don't make excuses and say oh I am 40 years old too old to learn, very tired need to start all over again etc. In Singapore, no one owes you a living not even the govt, you just need to suck up to reality esp now with influx of foreigners and move on or stay stagnated. :)

poor and stupid 23-11-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30771)
Just don't make excuses and say oh I am 40 years old too old to learn, very tired need to start all over again etc. In Singapore, no one owes you a living not even the govt, you just need to suck up to reality esp now with influx of foreigners and move on or stay stagnated. :)

I beg to differ your last paragraph;quoted, while it may be true no one owes anyone a living, no one should be ROBBED of their rights.

The influx of foreign workers are stealing jobs... are YOU know it. These limitless workforce are perpetually young, fit and exploitable, they will never grow old simply because they are constantly replaced. How are you going to compete with this source of limitless energy?

Whats worse is that these people can easily take over a myriad of jobs that does not require any experienced skills (such as: labor, plumbing, driving, etc...)

We paid our dues when serving NS, and some with yearly taxes. And now that these people are old, we are simply replacing them like rubbish?

Governing a country should not be run like a business, if everyone govern their family values like a business, human population would have already been extinct!

Dun trust me, I am an "engineer", humans are declared as variables....

Unregistered 23-11-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poor and stupid (Post 30778)
I beg to differ your last paragraph;quoted, while it may be true no one owes anyone a living, no one should be ROBBED of their rights.

The influx of foreign workers are stealing jobs... are YOU know it. These limitless workforce are perpetually young, fit and exploitable, they will never grow old simply because they are constantly replaced. How are you going to compete with this source of limitless energy?

Whats worse is that these people can easily take over a myriad of jobs that does not require any experienced skills (such as: labor, plumbing, driving, etc...)

We paid our dues when serving NS, and some with yearly taxes. And now that these people are old, we are simply replacing them like rubbish?

Governing a country should not be run like a business, if everyone govern their family values like a business, human population would have already been extinct!

Ermm I am talking more about how you should take care of yourself by taking on an extra skillset (for side-income or whatever) rather than relying on someone else to take care of you...not going into the sg govt politics discussion etc...

Basically no matter how disappointed you are with the sg govt, no matter how much you complain etc things will still remain the same, foreigners will still come in (albeit slower rate), older folks will still get their jobs replace (this is life, this is the law of nature where the strongest survive) My point is instead of waiting for the govt to respond to you or complaining, why not take the first step and make the change (same applies for those who always complain about why their income is low, why my life like that etc.)

Here is a proverb which I heard somewhere before and I end my discussion with it: "If you want a miracle, be that miracle" .

Unregistered 24-11-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poor and stupid (Post 30778)

you are not an engineer, please don't embarass us. you're too stupid to be an engineer. The fact is, the whole theory of evolution is "run" based on business like principles. And humans, being the most efficient and businesslike, are now top of the food chain, with population increasing to 6 billion and counting. But if everyone was like you, yes, we would be extinct in a few generations!

Unregistered 25-11-2012 09:38 AM

We should have more protection for SINGAPOREAN (CITIZENS) WORKERS

The debate on foreign workers in Singapore is missing an important point - we dont really care about the low end jobs now filled by foreign labour in construction, maids, etc. What we very concerned about is the white collar jobs are being filled by foreigners - foreign AND Singapore PRs. These positions can be easily filled by the citizen JOBLESS GRADUATES.

Bear in mind, PRs are not Singaporeans. I see many job positions, even in the civil service, which stated for "Singaporeans and PRs". PRs are not Singaporeans - they are foreigners. Why should they be given same priority as Singaporeans?

Policy must change or else many of our SINGAPOREAN CITIZENS, esp those above 40s, will be jobless - and this is a disaster, politically.

From now on, job positions (esp the civil service) must state: "ONLY SINGAPOREANS NEED APPLY"

PRs and foreigners should be categorised the same. PRs should not be given the same priority as citizens.

We must protect our SINGAPOREAN CITIZEN WORKERS.

Unregistered 25-11-2012 02:58 PM

[QUOTE=Unregistered;30812]We should have more protection for SINGAPOREAN (CITIZENS) WORKERS

The debate on foreign workers in Singapore is missing an important point - we dont really care about the low end jobs now filled by foreign labour in construction, maids, etc. What we very concerned about is the white collar jobs are being filled by foreigners - foreign AND Singapore PRs. These positions can be easily filled by the citizen JOBLESS GRADUATES.

Bear in mind, PRs are not Singaporeans. I see many job positions, even in the civil service, which stated for "Singaporeans and PRs". PRs are not Singaporeans - they are foreigners. Why should they be given same priority as Singaporeans?

Policy must change or else many of our SINGAPOREAN CITIZENS, esp those above 40s, will be jobless - and this is a disaster, politically.

From now on, job positions (esp the civil service) must state: "ONLY SINGAPOREANS NEED APPLY"

PRs and foreigners should be categorised the same. PRs should not be given the same priority as citizens.

We must protect our SINGAPOREAN CITIZEN WORKERS.[/QUOTE

FYI, this is a forum on discussion relating to career discussion, if you want to discuss politics, suggest you bring that over to other political forum.....

Unregistered 25-11-2012 09:57 PM

wah liew off topic again....

hmm what is the typical number of applications to 1 job offer, and what is the typical number of months of job search for 1 job offer?