Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Anyone jobless for a long time before? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2271-anyone-jobless-long-time-before.html)

Unregistered 17-11-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30521)
this guy is a big cannon!! talking cock bloody cock. 200k per annum doing nothing? ********. you must be at least doing something like strategic decision making if you are so high level. ******** big cannon asshole. the way he talk like mocking us. OH I GET PAID 200,000 AND I AM FRUSTRATED NOTHING TO DO.. GO GET A LIFE LAH LOSER.

this guy has a career problem and is merely seeking advice here. I don't see that you need to get so work up. his problem is an enviable one though. why you need to resort to name calling? at least he is making 200 k. what about you? who is the real loser here?

Unregistered 17-11-2012 12:15 PM

oh, sorry i forgot to introduce myself. i am 24 this year still studying. he is 40+. if you wanna compare, at least know how to compare apple to apple, not durian to watermelon.

Unregistered 17-11-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30523)
this guy has a career problem and is merely seeking advice here. I don't see that you need to get so work up. his problem is an enviable one though. why you need to resort to name calling? at least he is making 200 k. what about you? who is the real loser here?

it is actually totally true that there are people out there, many, who make obscene amount of money in salary and yet don't do much and don't endure much pressure.

you just have to be lucky! :D

Unregistered 18-11-2012 11:36 AM

Hi all,

I need some advice here.

I'm 29. I graduated late cos I stayed in school to do a masters degree. I have been working for one and a half years in a job I really hate that has nothing to do with my qualifications. Pay low and long working hours with lots of OT and a high level of frustration due to demanding/fault finding superiors, peers and clients. I have been sending out applications since a year ago, and have been through a few interviews but no job offer thus far.

I am thinking of quitting right after getting my year end bonus to find a proper job in full force. I haven't been able to prepare well for my interviews or applications because I have all my time taken up by my current job. Also I have forgotten what I studied in my undergrad and postgrad years that I would use the time to review so that I can get a related job.

Many people tell me this is a stupid decision, but I feel that if I say in my job, I'll never be able to get a new job cos I cannot concentrate on job application. What do you think? Should I quit? After all, I've been trying for a year already, and I'm starting to feel jaded and dejected already.

Unregistered 18-11-2012 12:06 PM

I believe you have to have better time management maybe?

I used to think working would take up a lot of my time and I cannot apply other job and focus on them. That was my mentality and it killed my many job applications.

Then, I began to try to change it. I told myself I have to do it no matter what. So I tried really hard to find time to apply and studied the job scope. sometimes, as soon as I reach home I started applying for jobs and studying them. Also, I did the scheduling of my interviews through phone calls and e-mails just to make sure I do not upset my current employer by taking too many off days or time off.

Unregistered 18-11-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30567)
Hi all,

I need some advice here.

I'm 29. I graduated late cos I stayed in school to do a masters degree. I have been working for one and a half years in a job I really hate that has nothing to do with my qualifications. Pay low and long working hours with lots of OT and a high level of frustration due to demanding/fault finding superiors, peers and clients. I have been sending out applications since a year ago, and have been through a few interviews but no job offer thus far.

I am thinking of quitting right after getting my year end bonus to find a proper job in full force. I haven't been able to prepare well for my interviews or applications because I have all my time taken up by my current job. Also I have forgotten what I studied in my undergrad and postgrad years that I would use the time to review so that I can get a related job.

Many people tell me this is a stupid decision, but I feel that if I stay in my job, I'll never be able to get a new job cos I cannot concentrate on job application. What do you think? Should I quit? After all, I've been trying for a year already, and I'm starting to feel jaded and dejected already.

No point being in a job that you dislike so much. It would be good if you really think it over and make a decision soon as you will be hitting the big 3 soon. (age)

Unregistered 18-11-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30569)
No point being in a job that you dislike so much. It would be good if you really think it over and make a decision soon as you will be hitting the big 3 soon. (age)

True, I have an accounting degree from ntu and I am doing technology work. I find my real interest is in technology and I am intensely passionate about it.

p.s. I studied technology diploma in poly.

I know sometimes it's easy and convenient to succumb to pressures of society to do a "certain kind of profession" because "they earn more" and "they conform to what you studied in university" .. the truth of the matter is none of that matters. what really matters is what do you love to do in life? for yourself?

hopeful 18-11-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Hi all,

I need some advice here.

Many people tell me this is a stupid decision, but I feel that if I say in my job, I'll never be able to get a new job cos I cannot concentrate on job application. What do you think? Should I quit? After all, I've been trying for a year already, and I'm starting to feel jaded and dejected already.

Don't quit without another job offer, it will be worse than getting stucked in a job that you totally have no interest in...just get your time management together and push on with the job applications and interviews.

Even if you have enough savings to tide you through, months of being jobless and seeing your bank account dries up day by day really brings down your morale.

Liverpool 18-11-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Hi all,

I need some advice here.

what job are you looking for? change of industry or within same industry?

Unregistered 18-11-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopeful (Post 30576)
Don't quit without another job offer, it will be worse than getting stucked in a job that you totally have no interest in...just get your time management together and push on with the job applications and interviews.

Even if you have enough savings to tide you through, months of being jobless and seeing your bank account dries up day by day really brings down your morale.

Agree. Especially in these days when the competition is tough. It is good to hang on to a sinking boat than to let go and try to float on your own. At least you get paid at the end of each month.

cslee 18-11-2012 07:26 PM

Sorry if I'm out of touch. We've been reading news that many employers (SME and MNC) are all complaining not getting enough workers in a labour-tight market in Singapore. If that's the case, why are there so many people out-of-job for so long?

Side note, I've a recruiter friend who told me that construction industry is the most desperate sector for Singaporeans - to the extend they are willing to foot the training and qualifications fees for any committed Singaporeans. Note: not those construction worker level (i.e. in managerial, professional and technician levels).

Unregistered 18-11-2012 08:04 PM

itedcr acres

the truth of the matter is many graduates are jobless.

dont read too much into the papers or statistics. ******** without a sense of reality check

Unregistered 18-11-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30582)
the truth of the matter is many graduates are jobless.

dont read too much into the papers or statistics. ******** without a sense of reality check

I thought we have almost zero unemployment?

wern 18-11-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cslee (Post 30581)
Sorry if I'm out of touch. We've been reading news that many employers (SME and MNC) are all complaining not getting enough workers in a labour-tight market in Singapore. If that's the case, why are there so many people out-of-job for so long?

Side note, I've a recruiter friend who told me that construction industry is the most desperate sector for Singaporeans - to the extend they are willing to foot the training and qualifications fees for any committed Singaporeans. Note: not those construction worker level (i.e. in managerial, professional and technician levels).

Not sure about MNCs but SMEs are the most whiney group of the lot. They've been leeching off cheap graduate FTs for so damn long that when suddenly the tap is cut off, they bitch and moan that Singapore grads are not willing to work for them. Duh when you have graduate salaries starting from $2000 per month who the hell would be willing to work for you? And its not like as if SMEs have any sort of career progression at all. Many of them are family owned and have no intention of grooming you to advance within their organization (because these positions are reserved for sons, grandsons uncles etc). Somemore because of the family nature of their business they treat outsiders/employees working for them worse than their Filipino maids. Expect calls during non-office hrs, weekends asking mundane and sometimes outrageous tasks.

The govt should just bitch slap them all and let the struggling ones die off or merge with similar industries if they really want to survive. The only SMEs that have succeeded in making it big (Yakun, Old Chang kee etc) are the ones that have ditched the "keep it within the family at all costs" mindset and hired properly paid, external talent to help them along.

Unregistered 18-11-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30583)
I thought we have almost zero unemployment?

Maybe you did not study statistics in university.

Unemployment rate is gather through survey or sampling methodology. As you know, there will be some groups of the society who chose not to respond as they are unemployed or for various other reasons. So, how true do you think such reported statistics are?

They are as true as the reason that you use to lie to your boss when you arrive late for work.

Unregistered 18-11-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wern (Post 30584)
Not sure about MNCs but SMEs are the most whiney group of the lot. They've been leeching off cheap graduate FTs for so damn long that when suddenly the tap is cut off, they bitch and moan that Singapore grads are not willing to work for them. Duh when you have graduate salaries starting from $2000 per month who the hell would be willing to work for you? And its not like as if SMEs have any sort of career progression at all. Many of them are family owned and have no intention of grooming you to advance within their organization (because these positions are reserved for sons, grandsons uncles etc). Somemore because of the family nature of their business they treat outsiders/employees working for them worse than their Filipino maids. Expect calls during non-office hrs, weekends asking mundane and sometimes outrageous tasks.

The govt should just bitch slap them all and let the struggling ones die off or merge with similar industries if they really want to survive. The only SMEs that have succeeded in making it big (Yakun, Old Chang kee etc) are the ones that have ditched the "keep it within the family at all costs" mindset and hired properly paid, external talent to help them along.

Truer words have not been spoken. I unreservedly agree with you.

When I graduated from nus, i received this offer from a family firm and guess what?

They said they would pay me 2,300 per month *BUT* only after I have passed their "internal assessments" so I could only get 2,100 as a start. Naturally, I rejected the offer and am now paid 2,700 per month with US MNC.

Tracker 18-11-2012 10:57 PM

Not sure if this helps but this is my experience. Might help for fresh grads but prob not anyone with more then 2 -3 years experience.

When I first started working I had a pretty tough time finding a job (The uni I studied in wasn't fantastic lol) So I took a part time job paying about 600 per month doing filing and stuff for a family friend's company. I would then write a lot of things I did for the firm in my resume and the family friend would back it up (Its wrong but hey I was a fresh grad from a no name uni)

In the meantime I send numerous resumes out, some tricks I learn (not sure if it applies today were)

1. Tailor your resume to suit the company you want to work for, every firm wants something different, independent workers, team players, team leaders etc. I had multiple resumes for various job scope. I cut some experience for some job scopes and emphasis my experience in others.

2. If you really want the job send out a resume and a hard copy of your resume in the mail. A4 copy and print the address on it, this way the HR must read it or physically bin it. Pressing the delete key is all too easy, I know of HR dept that bin some resumes purely because they think the candidate is ugly (go figure)

3. Don't turn the resume's into essays, I've read 10 pagers which really puts people to sleep. Also make sure your cover letter really shines.

4. Also if you get the interview learn to BS abit (not too much), read up on the company history and their culture. Also buy the latest copy of the business times and read the bits which may impact the firms business and turn those into questions during the interview. As the interviewee you would want to know if the company will do well in the future and also if the culture fits you as a person.

But the best thing that gets you in the door is connections, if you know the right people sometimes a simple phone call gets you the interview. After years of working my friends who slogged with me behind the desk and partied after work are now hiring people, temp staff usually and they would send emails out to us (old friends) to see if we want to Kai siao anyone we know for them to hire. Normally if we intro someone they would get a interview at least assuming the resume fits what they are looking for. (At least its one step in the door)

Good luck with the job hunt

Unregistered 19-11-2012 11:26 AM

Yes, connections are important.

One good e.g. - A few years ago I met a friend who said his client had wanted someone with my skillset. After just 2 lunches with this client, I was offered the job, all within the space of just 2 weeks.

Unregistered 19-11-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30514)
If you are purely looking at the package, yes indeed.

But if you are just passing day by day and not knowing what lies ahead, it is frustrating. This has been on going for 2 years.

hi 250k bro, i am in the same position as you, paid about 300k a year for the last 5 yrs and i am dragging myself to work everyday feeling really meaningless. yes, the pay is good and for the years i can remembered, it help me saved alot for retirement. after being a fifth wheel and a fixed asseted for so long, i beginning to feel really pointless of life.

so people may say it is BS or whatever, but it is the truth, i hope to feel same soul mate here to discuss further how to past time. :)

Unregistered 19-11-2012 01:06 PM

Hi guys

I am paid 390,000 per annum and I have nothing to do at work. (inclusive of 6 months bonus)

Unregistered 19-11-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30600)
hi 250k bro, i am in the same position as you, paid about 300k a year for the last 5 yrs and i am dragging myself to work everyday feeling really meaningless. yes, the pay is good and for the years i can remembered, it help me saved alot for retirement. after being a fifth wheel and a fixed asseted for so long, i beginning to feel really pointless of life.

so people may say it is BS or whatever, but it is the truth, i hope to feel same soul mate here to discuss further how to past time. :)

Hi, how did you ever survive 5 years? Doesn't your company review the cost structure each year and have budgeting exercise? Yours must be a big MNCs, I guess.

Unregistered 19-11-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30601)
Hi guys

I am paid 390,000 per annum and I have nothing to do at work. (inclusive of 6 months bonus)

Hi guys seeing you all get paid so much just feels ridiculous.

I am paid a staggering 37,800 a year in my first year. I had A LOT OF WORK. everyday OT.

Unregistered 19-11-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30603)
Hi guys seeing you all get paid so much just feels ridiculous.

I am paid a staggering 37,800 a year in my first year. I had A LOT OF WORK. everyday OT.

don't worry. they're lying.

Unregistered 19-11-2012 01:15 PM

osainim vehicles

let me make a suggestion: go to 2 managers in your company. the HR and the FINANCE manager.

First tell the Finance manager that you want to take a paycut or pay freeze for the good of the company.

Second tell the HR to assign you other job scope to make your life busier.

alternatively look for me, i have several charitable organisations waiting for fund or I can convert you into an Ah Long start making illegal loans or you can start a 4D Bookie business to keep yourself busy.

LASTLY BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, get a fcuking life you loser. come online to seek some kind of personal worth or personal value for your sick pathetic stay-at-home piece of trash.

if you are so good, you wont be online seeking advice. you are obviously just a piece of trash. coming online to seek personal worth and build your confidence through lying about 250k salary. wow your salary figure soooo nice ah? take that **** bitch

Unregistered 19-11-2012 01:20 PM

to the 2 bro who said they earn 250k or 150k ... for all the forum reader info, they are the same person coming from the same location ip address. this person must be either SICK, RETARD, OR a most likely COMPLETE LOSER in life.

KNN dont come here **** around you losers... no money say no money.. no money still want to act one lan jiao 200K. **** you. go eat ****. lan chio! 200k of **** right?

look here, you are reading this I know.. you piece of loser admit you are a loser. HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
HahHAHAHHAHAahahahhaa

cslee 19-11-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wern (Post 30584)
Not sure about MNCs but SMEs are the most whiney group of the lot. They've been leeching off cheap graduate FTs for so damn long that when suddenly the tap is cut off, they bitch and moan that Singapore grads are not willing to work for them.

From what I gathered so far, it seemed to me that too many people are "chasing" after the same type of jobs i.e. general office jobs like admin/marketing, 9-5, 5-day week, town areas etc. As a result, there is an oversupply of labours in this segment (which unfortunately become the employers' market - at the whine of bosses).

Just before anyone start the "picky job-seekers vs employers" debate, would like to point out that there are still many vacancies out there like in offshore operations, construction sectors etc. Many are quite well-paying and employers are even willing to sponsor the training if you're willing to commit. You can check with any recruiters out there.

Unregistered 19-11-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cslee (Post 30610)
From what I gathered so far, it seemed to me that too many people are "chasing" after the same type of jobs i.e. general office jobs like admin/marketing, 9-5, 5-day week, town areas etc. As a result, there is an oversupply of labours in this segment (which unfortunately become the employers' market - at the whine of bosses).

Just before anyone start the "picky job-seekers vs employers" debate, would like to point out that there are still many vacancies out there like in offshore operations, construction sectors etc. Many are quite well-paying and employers are even willing to sponsor the training if you're willing to commit. You can check with any recruiters out there.

Really??? Do you have any lobangs? I have been looking for a job since July. I have a part-time marketing degree from Unisim but I am having difficulties getting a related job due to lack of prior experience. Wld you elaborate on what types of jobs are available offshore operations, construction sectors?

Unregistered 19-11-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30601)
Hi guys

Pls DO NOT POST if you have no constructive comments. You are not helping the people in this forum than to satisfy your own ego. Also go get a life if you got nothing better to do.

Unregistered 19-11-2012 02:12 PM

how can be same person? look it is true, i just finish my morning at office and off back home finish my prawn noodle my wife cooked for me at home now looking at the market.

do you have to resort to curse and bad words just because of these differences?

to the 250k bro, if you are around, do leave a way so perhaps we can chat privately...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30607)
to the 2 bro who said they earn 250k or 150k ... for all the forum reader info, they are the same person coming from the same location ip address. this person must be either SICK, RETARD, OR a most likely COMPLETE LOSER in life.

KNN dont come here **** around you losers... no money say no money.. no money still want to act one lan jiao 200K. **** you. go eat ****. lan chio! 200k of **** right?

look here, you are reading this I know.. you piece of loser admit you are a loser. HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
HahHAHAHHAHAahahahhaa

Unregistered 19-11-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30614)
Pls DO NOT POST if you have no constructive comments. You are not helping the people in this forum than to satisfy your own ego. Also go get a life if you got nothing better to do.

heys, chill my man. I was being sarcastic. pure sarcasm to the posters who said they earn 200,000......

cslee 19-11-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30612)
Really??? Do you have any lobangs? I have been looking for a job since July. I have a part-time marketing degree from Unisim but I am having difficulties getting a related job due to lack of prior experience. Wld you elaborate on what types of jobs are available offshore operations, construction sectors?

Pl speak to the recruiters directly. Tell them you don't mind any industry, is hungry to learn a skill and is willing to commit. I'm sure they would be able to find something for you.

Unregistered 19-11-2012 02:31 PM

them IsADec

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30616)
heys, chill my man. I was being sarcastic. pure sarcasm to the posters who said they earn 200,000......

its ok, the problem with earning this amount of salary, is earning the peak already and continue doing so from 40 to 50-60 years old is extremely stagnated and life is really boring everyday wearing a mask at work to show people you are in control but actually inside, every morning to drive to work is a 'SIAN' apart from driving the car itself. lately, as the road gets more jam up, driving it self also 'SIAN' regardless how many horses you are equipped with.

you see the point, there is emptiness even at the top of the pyramid, and the saddest thing about it is we cannot tell anyone about it and have to hide the feeling and say it out in places such as this one.

Unregistered 19-11-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30618)
its ok, the problem with earning this amount of salary, is earning the peak already and continue doing so from 40 to 50-60 years old is extremely stagnated and life is really boring everyday wearing a mask at work to show people you are in control but actually inside, every morning to drive to work is a 'SIAN' apart from driving the car itself. lately, as the road gets more jam up, driving it self also 'SIAN' regardless how many horses you are equipped with.

you see the point, there is emptiness even at the top of the pyramid, and the saddest thing about it is we cannot tell anyone about it and have to hide the feeling and say it out in places such as this one.

you are extremely right. just can't say it out. problem is how to sustain.

Unregistered 19-11-2012 02:48 PM

sksRou 257

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30619)
you are extremely right. just can't say it out. problem is how to sustain.

for as long as possible, 1 year spend 100k then save 200k, 5 years is 1million sing dollars saved. should be enough to sustain retirement if continue frugal lifestyle i guess.

Unregistered 19-11-2012 03:13 PM

unemployed in singapore

Currently unemployed over a year. Graduate from local uni, jobs all taken by FT. Govt full employment is a lie.

Unregistered 19-11-2012 03:18 PM

unemployed in singapore

If you havent realise that recruiters will only offer u 7-9 bucks per hr job as a graduate. That will come up to only 1.6k a month if you want to work for crap pay. Businesses are doing very badly in singapore so jobs are few and given to FW and FT. Locals can certainly eat grass or take the 7-9 bucks job. 2013 will be much worst.

Unregistered 19-11-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30618)

I can empathize. There are a lot more office politics at the top. Hence, what you say may or may not come against you. I guess why some senior execs go about doing what they are doing because they have reached the peak and just looking at sustaining.

Unregistered 19-11-2012 03:38 PM

I want to laugh out loud when I see some bros type " 5 years save 1 million should be enough for retirement if you LIVE FRUGALLY" I was like what the hell!?

Okay so if you dont have 1 million you cant retire lah haha

Unregistered 19-11-2012 06:30 PM

This is what i call the 'trapped by money' syndrome, where the things you own end up owning you, things includes jobs, car, hdb, wife, kids. Its time to let go of all excess package and start living life the way you want, without encumberances, doing things that society deems correct just to 'save face' or showoff to people who dont care about you. Life is short, just do what you enjoy. If you have so much money and is miserable about your 200 k / per annum job, why not try a sideline business and see if it can thrive before plunging into it full time.

Unregistered 19-11-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30637)
This is what i call the 'trapped by money' syndrome, where the things you own end up owning you, things includes jobs, car, hdb, wife, kids. Its time to let go of all excess package and start living life the way you want, without encumberances, doing things that society deems correct just to 'save face' or showoff to people who dont care about you. Life is short, just do what you enjoy. If you have so much money and is miserable about your 200 k / per annum job, why not try a sideline business and see if it can thrive before plunging into it full time.

All this talk about rich people feel very sian, hard to work with office politics or trapped by money nonsense is just something touted by poor under-achievers to convince themselves and others in the same boat why life "sux" being rich and high up in senior management. This has the effect of making them feel less paifuln about their lack of material possession and lifestyle while giving the impression they could have achieved much more, but "conciously" choose to downgrade themselves.

Fastest way to smoke this kind of people out is to ask them if given a choice will they choose:

a) being trapped by money, sian driving a car, show off to save face and playing office politics with lots of money

b) poor in rat race, with lost of "work life balance" and spiritual well-being

Suddenly 95% of the people dont mind being "trapped" after all.