Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Anyone jobless for a long time before? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2271-anyone-jobless-long-time-before.html)

Unregistered 07-05-2014 08:44 AM

Tender period up

Hi, this week is my last week in my current company. I have tendered without a job two months ago and this Friday will be my last day. However, I am panicky now cos I have no job interviews though I sent out my resume to many companies. I do not want to consider other industry. There are no job opening at this moment. The job adverts were many weeks ago so I guess the position has been taken up. I do not feel alright to send my resume to agencies cos they are just wasting my time. I had one call from a job agency briefly interviewing me over the phone. I have stated so clearly my reason for leaving my previous job yet she still ask me. In the end, she just made some stupid assumptions about me and then said will get back to me which of course never hear from her anymore.

Can anyone tell me whether you got your perm job via a job agency and has been working since happily ever after ? Do you think job agencies are more suitable for students who are looking for temp assignments or ppl who only want contract or temp jobs ? They really wasted my time unless I have no other choice but nowadays I see alot of job agencies advertising.

Unregistered 07-05-2014 09:32 AM

Why not be a businessman? A low risk, high return business is to drive a taxi. You can easily earn $5k pm if you are hardworking. If you save $3k pm, in 30 years time, you can save $1m and you can retire well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 51177)
Hi, this week is my last week in my current company. I have tendered without a job two months ago and this Friday will be my last day. However, I am panicky now cos I have no job interviews though I sent out my resume to many companies. I do not want to consider other industry. There are no job opening at this moment. The job adverts were many weeks ago so I guess the position has been taken up. I do not feel alright to send my resume to agencies cos they are just wasting my time. I had one call from a job agency briefly interviewing me over the phone. I have stated so clearly my reason for leaving my previous job yet she still ask me. In the end, she just made some stupid assumptions about me and then said will get back to me which of course never hear from her anymore.

Can anyone tell me whether you got your perm job via a job agency and has been working since happily ever after ? Do you think job agencies are more suitable for students who are looking for temp assignments or ppl who only want contract or temp jobs ? They really wasted my time unless I have no other choice but nowadays I see alot of job agencies advertising.

Unregistered 07-05-2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 51181)
Why not be a businessman? A low risk, high return business is to drive a taxi. You can easily earn $5k pm if you are hardworking. If you save $3k pm, in 30 years time, you can save $1m and you can retire well.

Hi thanks for your reply. Are you a taxi driver ? No, being one doesn't guarantee high return. Unless you are telling me you work 24 hrs a day with consistent influx of passenger but sorry your low risk high return theory doesn't work, if not everyone can be a taxi driver millionaire as this occupation doesn't need a degree or diploma.

floralpeace 07-05-2014 11:23 AM

I quitted without job n last day was end feb. I gt interview every week n 2 job offer. Started work on 2nd week of april. I suggest u vet your resume and take on some part time tuition on weekdays evenings or weekends. Dun be too kan chiong or worried. Find a good job n remember y u left without job is the job not gd. So dun be in hurry to start another one. Must be one that u relly like the environment and scope of work.
Jiayou.

floralpeace 07-05-2014 11:27 AM

To answer your question on job agency I would say most r nt good experience except for adecco.
But full time job its better to apply direct cz higher basic.
Full time job if u hv specific field u can go recruit express. I received numerous interviews frm them however none success.

Unregistered 07-05-2014 11:32 AM

Please be serious lah. People no job and very anxious already.

By the way, even if taxi driving can accumulate $1m, that's in 30 years time. Dont know how small the $1m will be, maybe only $300K in 30 years?

Also remember taxi driver no CPF by employer, no annual leave, everything come out from own pocket.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 51181)

Unregistered 11-05-2014 09:26 AM

You can join the Marine industry
://.maritimecareers.com.sg/careers.php
://wdasingapore.blogspot.sg/2012/06/steering-his-way-to-maritime-career.html

There are opportunities for training for technician roles. Since you dislike selling, perhaps learning a skills to fix ships, equipment is the right choice for you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Needajob (Post 49960)
hi, i been jobless for close to 3 month now i going crazy already. im a diploma in engineering informatic but that was 10 yrs ago and i forget everything already, been in army as 3 yrs contract with extention till 2008 and been working as a second hand car salesman till jan 2014.
firstly i do not know what i want, i hate doing sales but that was one job that can earn if you don't have a degree in singapore. i love my saf days as we learn abit of this and that and teach army guys, bond was very good and no backstab etc... pay was decent and colleague is fantastic.
now that i out of job, can i ask what job should i get?
apply for dxo, spf, police warden, all got reject.
cisco is paying like 900? or 1300? i not sure but i not so sure i going that road..
i was earning 58k pa in saf and 65k pa in car sales, but things goes way down since car sales drop alot...
i know i have to start from beginning but i beg for someone to tell me which industry to go for, or a place that there is seldom backstabing, a place they give job training for a 32 year old ppl like me.. a 5day or 5 1/2day job, a job that can get above 2k.
i know i sound stupid for asking too much but i not so sure myself. can anyone advice me?
some told me to be hawker, some ask me to be construction worker, some ask me sell mlm product, i find very low potential in these few areas, yes i know some make it but its like 1 out of 1000.
i feel so useless right now.. i not sure if i did not study hard enough to go uni or i choose wrong path in my 10 yrs career.. but whats next for me? is it over for me in singapore? is it the end of the road for me?
i hope i can get some advice... pls.. guide me... what job or industry should i go for next...

Unregistered 12-05-2014 11:25 AM

How do you answer question like this : Do you have any question for us ? during an interview.

I have already said no more question as I have read through the co. website but the interviewer do not seem to be impressed.

floralpeace 12-05-2014 12:14 PM

Usually I asked hows the working culture like and what r some of the challenges in work. Actually thus question is for urself to know the company before joining.

Unregistered 12-05-2014 02:12 PM

please ask a few intellectual questions instead of saying nothing to ask.

This shows the employer that you are very keen to contribute to the organization.

Question wise, please go think about it yourself. Its your job, not our job to spoonfeed you

Unregistered 12-05-2014 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 51349)
please ask a few intellectual questions instead of saying nothing to ask.

This shows the employer that you are very keen to contribute to the organization.

Question wise, please go think about it yourself. Its your job, not our job to spoonfeed you

If I can think of any 'intellectual' qn to ask, I won't be asking here. That is the reason why I want to find out. I do not want to ask stupid qn and might jeopardize my chance of getting employed. You get it ?

Unregistered 12-05-2014 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floralpeace (Post 51345)
Usually I asked hows the working culture like and what r some of the challenges in work. Actually thus question is for urself to know the company before joining.

Thanks for your reply. Some things to ponder over here.

Unregistered 12-05-2014 11:05 PM

Well... sometimes I don't even know what to ask because the interviewer has told me what I want to know like company culture and challenges.

Instead of asking qns, I will just comment on what they have just said, hoping to buy some time to think of what qns to ask and to probe new topics. U can make it into a discussion.

floralpeace 12-05-2014 11:23 PM

Can also ask wad r the qualities u think essential to be successful in this job.
See wad skills they nd n whether u can provide.

Unregistered 15-05-2014 06:56 PM

Employer told me they dont know whether they can hire me or not?I used to work in government sector years ago , currently found a job in a law firm. After signing the appt letter, they told me as I was working as a civil servant before, they do not know whether can hire me or not and need to do checking. What should I do, should I leave on my own accord ? Should I ask them to reconsider hiring me and void the appt letter which I just signed ?

Unregistered 19-05-2014 10:06 AM

Job hopeful

Hi Bro,
I had been searching for new jobs,a new career for the past 7 years, but either no reply or rejected, perhaps i think due to age(38) and also being a local....:( .... donno whether will make it in sales or not, not much sales experience....please advice,,,,

thanks,
CH
[email protected]

Quote:

Originally Posted by yelangrelive (Post 35340)
Hi all
After looking at the whole thread, I am thinking whether i am luckier or worse.

So here is my story.
Qualification: Diploma
Family Commitment: 3 room HDB, a 6 years old son

1st job: Civil Servant for 5 years
Salary: $2800
Reasons for leaving: Politics and policy

2nd Job: a specailised language interpreter for 2 years (niche market in singapore)
Salary: $2500
Reasons for leaving: Politics and progressions

3rd Job: Property Executive in charge of 7 to 10 buildings for 1 years
Salary: $2700
Reasons for leaving: long working hours and huge work loads, always have night meeting

4th Job: Direct Salary in a outsource sales and marketing company for a charity for 6 months
Salary: Commission based (less than $1000 in a month) .
Reasons for leaving: Not achieving sales target

5th Job: Sales Executive for a printing company for 1 week
Salary: Basic ($1000) + High Commission
Reasons for leaving: Find a job with Basic pay with my intern company

6th Job: Field Officer for a year
Salary: $1800
Reasons for leaving (which is now): Taking a risk in a no basic but high commission job

Part time job: Part Time Distributor for one ISP (never cheong much, in a month can have 1 sale as the lowest, the highest will be 47 sales)
Salary: Full commission with passive income every month (lowest

Leaving my 6th Job to focus on the part time distributor for ISP
Looking for people who are sharing the same interest with me to team up.
Salary: Full Commission (Aiming at $5k a month if i work hard enough)

All these are my career history, I realised that i am was job hopping for the past 10 years, but only now i realised that my interest and forte is in Sales especially IT Sales.

Some of my current colleagues are asking me why i am leaving my job when the econ is so bad and turning worse. I told them that my character is inclined towards sales and working for myself.

So i do not know whether I am lucky or worse.

P.S. To those who are jobless now and want to try something now or those who are looking for a job to tide over this period of time, if you are interested, maybe i have something that can help you for the time being. PM me.

Unregistered 30-05-2014 01:12 AM

Been jobless for 6 months already.
29, nus ba.

Tried applying on sites like jobs db, jobs central, job street, and many other sites, and many local and overseas companies career sites.

Got one offer so far thru an small time agency, but they manipulated the contract terms against my favour, I looked hard and clear and decided to drop the offer. One of the things they did was to change the contract from 12 to 8 months and increase the penalty for breaking the bond. And many other limitations which I will not mention.

I am feeling restless, tired. I spent so much of my savings but I have enough to last til the end of the year if I have to.

I don't know what I should do, I have set a date on 1st June to apply for part time work at recruit express. Since no bloody company want to hire me.

Unregistered 31-05-2014 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 51907)
29, nus ba.

Tried applying on sites like jobs db, jobs central, job street, and many other sites, and many local and overseas companies career sites.

Got one offer so far thru an small time agency, but they manipulated the contract terms against my favour, I looked hard and clear and decided to drop the offer. One of the things they did was to change the contract from 12 to 8 months and increase the penalty for breaking the bond. And many other limitations which I will not mention.

I am feeling restless, tired. I spent so much of my savings but I have enough to last til the end of the year if I have to.

I don't know what I should do, I have set a date on 1st June to apply for part time work at recruit express. Since no bloody company want to hire me.

what job do you want? hospitals are looking for jobs. many hospitals coming up and they need stuff.

what were you doing last time? would you settle for a senior exec post or you only want managerial ones.

Unregistered 02-06-2014 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 51907)
29, nus ba.

Me too. I also been jobless for 8 months. Sent countless of applications. Can understand how you feel. This period is perhaps the worst when new graduates enter the job market as well.

Unregistered 15-06-2014 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 51969)
what job do you want? hospitals are looking for jobs. many hospitals coming up and they need stuff.

what were you doing last time? would you settle for a senior exec post or you only want managerial ones.

I am looking for something between a junior and a senior executive. Like a mid-level kind of thing.

I have sent another 30 resumes over 2 days. Lets watch and see.

Just went for an interview 2 days ago, and the person thought I was over-qualified.
The position only required a diploma and it is for a primary school ICT coordinator.
Pay is 1800. I don't mind doing this job, but the person thought I may decide to quit simply because I have a slightly better resume. Employers need to realise that there are people who are desperate already.

floralpeace 15-06-2014 10:03 PM

Hi. Are u a fresh grad? Or quit w/o job?

Unregistered 16-06-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floralpeace (Post 52398)
Hi. Are u a fresh grad? Or quit w/o job?

Quit w/o job...

Just got a call, permanent night shift support engineer. 9pm to 9am.

I cannot do night shift, I rather take a lower pay than night shift.

How about yourself? what's your plight? same as mine?

Unregistered 16-06-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 52396)
I am looking for something between a junior and a senior executive. Like a mid-level kind of thing.

I have sent another 30 resumes over 2 days. Lets watch and see.

Just went for an interview 2 days ago, and the person thought I was over-qualified.
The position only required a diploma and it is for a primary school ICT coordinator.
Pay is 1800. I don't mind doing this job, but the person thought I may decide to quit simply because I have a slightly better resume. Employers need to realise that there are people who are desperate already.

I myself also sent over 50 resumes over the past weekend. But have been in same situation for quite some time.

The problem is the qualification and the salary. If lower your expected salary too much, the HR will consider negatively. If maintain expected salary, the HR will reject because of better options.

Consider Sg now has high unemployment situation, surely we have to be stuck for quite some time, with new batch of fresh grad shipping in.

floralpeace 16-06-2014 12:45 PM

I quit without job but jumped into another hastily but quit cz of inethical issues. So now oso looking.
R u spamming resumes?
Engineer shud be many job right. Which specialization?
I think its better find a gd one instead settling.. will regret one. They tend to tag ur pay with last paid. So if u accept low they will low ball u.

floralpeace 16-06-2014 12:55 PM

I agree dun expect too much. But if u looking perm and tk a underemployed role it will be on the resume. Nowadays employers look alot at history of job. However if its just temp just take the experience while on job hunt.

Unregistered 16-06-2014 04:09 PM

I have been jobless for around 5 months now and everyday I keep spamming resumes on jobstreet, jobsdb and career@gov.

I think that probably I did not get shortlisted or selected is because I lack the relevant experience. Take a look at all the so-called entry level jobs now, they required at least 2 years of experience.

Right now, I have job offers for maternity cover roles or short term contractual roles that require full commitment till end of contract. I know that it's best to take it instead of idling around at home but being available immediately is one of the advantages I have now...

Frustrated

Unregistered 16-06-2014 05:23 PM

I make a promise I will take whatever proper full time job that I receive next.

Unregistered 24-06-2014 01:51 AM

Situation quite bad

I am surprised there are so many young graduates unemployed now. I attended an employability course at e2i last month and realised there are many PMETs unemployed too.

I have been without a job since last Nov and have not been successful even in securing interviews. It is most likely due to my age, even though I have more than two decades of experience in my profession.

Looks like the employment market is quite bad here in Singapore, despite what our government portrays.

Very dishearten, sad

floralpeace 24-06-2014 01:04 PM

Wen I sent resumes in march there's many interview. Nowadays I sent alot n no calls. Like 10 resumes a day.

Hermit 24-06-2014 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 52680)
I am surprised there are so many young graduates unemployed now. I attended an employability course at e2i last month and realised there are many PMETs unemployed too.

I have been without a job since last Nov and have not been successful even in securing interviews. It is most likely due to my age, even though I have more than two decades of experience in my profession.

Looks like the employment market is quite bad here in Singapore, despite what our government portrays.

Very dishearten, sad

That is the reality.

Check out the number of uni grads applying for taxi license.

And not to mention all those who call themselves Consultants but are unemployed in disguise.

Unregistered 26-06-2014 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermit (Post 52699)
That is the reality.

Check out the number of uni grads applying for taxi license.

And not to mention all those who call themselves Consultants but are unemployed in disguise.

My savings. 20k. now left 12k. jobless since december. I refused to do part time work.

floralpeace 26-06-2014 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 52740)
My savings. 20k. now left 12k. jobless since december. I refused to do part time work.

Y refused to do?

Unregistered 10-07-2014 06:18 AM

Online Work

Online Work ? Flexible Time ? Home Base //
for more details, kindly visit ://.unemployedpinoys.com/
God Bless you.

Unregistered 10-07-2014 10:16 AM

If u have been jobless for quite a few months, how do u explain when interviewers ask what you have been doing during this period? Thanks.

floralpeace 10-07-2014 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30103)
use my saving loh, btw I still continue to give my parent allowance monthly during this period, $0.8k/mth..

By the way, how u explain ur gap.
My gap is 5 months liao. They ask why took so long haven find. I sae tk a break b4 find. But still ask its still quite long.

Unregistered 10-07-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floralpeace (Post 53187)
By the way, how u explain ur gap.
My gap is 5 months liao. They ask why took so long haven find. I sae tk a break b4 find. But still ask its still quite long.

Hi Floralpeace, u have been unemployed for 5 months liao? What have u been doing during this time? I'm in the same situation as u. I also face interviewers giving me a shocked face and ask " What have u been doing during this time?" I also don't know how to answer.

floralpeace 10-07-2014 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 53192)
Hi Floralpeace, u have been unemployed for 5 months liao? What have u been doing during this time? I'm in the same situation as u. I also face interviewers giving me a shocked face and ask " What have u been doing during this time?" I also don't know how to answer.

I oso dunno how to answer. I answer I took a short break and started applying for jobs den they were like its still very long. Did u analyze y u nv gt a job.

Unregistered 10-07-2014 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floralpeace (Post 53194)
I oso dunno how to answer. I answer I took a short break and started applying for jobs den they were like its still very long. Did u analyze y u nv gt a job.

Yes I did. I could be slow in my applications. And also now all the fresh graduates released so job market more competitive. What about u?

Unregistered 10-07-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floralpeace (Post 53194)

Do u think it is not wise if I just tell the interviewers the truth i.e I have been sending my resumes but did not receive any calls.

floralpeace 10-07-2014 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 53196)
Do u think it is not wise if I just tell the interviewers the truth i.e I have been sending my resumes but did not receive any calls.

Then they will ask u did u analyse wads wrong w ur resume and ways to refine it.
If u nv gt offered they will ask did u analyse wad went wrong during interviews.

Anyway wads ur qualifications n wad job u looking?