Career as Teacher - Page 1118 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Career as Teacher

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11171 (permalink)  
Old 21-04-2024, 04:57 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Actually, it is a very fair question to ask. Organising an overseas trip for students involves a significant amount of advance planning and administrative work. During the trip, liability falls squarely on the accompanying teacher's shoulders. And given students' nature, the likelihood of someone fooling around and getting into trouble despite all of the teacher's precautions is nontrivial.

So given all these considerations, it is entirely reasonable for a teacher to do the cost benefit analysis - is all the hassle and potential liability worth the reward both professionally and from an educational perspective.

Let's not be quick to call each other's conviction and professionalism into question where such important issues are at stake.
Agreed. Not everybody is capable of preparing ITQs and doing RAMs from scratch; there’s no existing templates and we do not copy paste from previous trips.

We also take full responsibility to students well-being even for the slightest things that happen during the trip. We do not blame the student, circumstances or other factors. We give 100% unparalled attention and commitment (zero distraction). The positive impact the trip creates on students is lifechanging and mindblowing due to our efforts.

So yes, perfectly reasonable for us to chase/receive recognition, because all of these work is on top of our near-perfect lesson delivery and committee work. If our baseline responsibility in IP hasnt been met yet, do you think we’re thick-skinned enough to take on additional responsibility?

Geez. Dunno how many times I need to repeat this. I know we're mostly teachers here but some of you are so stupid it's not even funny.

Reply With Quote
  #11172 (permalink)  
Old 21-04-2024, 09:58 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Agreed. Not everybody is capable of preparing ITQs and doing RAMs from scratch; there’s no existing templates and we do not copy paste from previous trips.

We also take full responsibility to students well-being even for the slightest things that happen during the trip. We do not blame the student, circumstances or other factors. We give 100% unparalled attention and commitment (zero distraction). The positive impact the trip creates on students is lifechanging and mindblowing due to our efforts.

So yes, perfectly reasonable for us to chase/receive recognition, because all of these work is on top of our near-perfect lesson delivery and committee work. If our baseline responsibility in IP hasnt been met yet, do you think we’re thick-skinned enough to take on additional responsibility?

Geez. Dunno how many times I need to repeat this. I know we're mostly teachers here but some of you are so stupid it's not even funny.
"Near perfect" hahaha. And so you thought I guess. I know we're mostly teachers here but some are so delusional it's not even funny. I guess the tuition industry don't thrive for no reason or you're convinced your students all do not require tuition due to your "near perfect" lessons.

The reality I see and hear on the ground is, hardly hear of people who are near perfect. Maybe in a school in a department (maybe not even all departments) at most you have one teacher who is THAT good. And even that teacher does not always deliver "near perfect" lessons.

If you think your lessons are near perfect, you're going to stay stagnant because pedagogy constantly revolves and comfort breeds complacency. Complacency breeds mediocrity. By the way, I have done overseas trip and never for a moment I think of it as doing it for the A grade. I thoroughly enjoyed being there for the preparation of students pre trip, the briefings, the interactions etc. The thought of boosting performance grade or portfolio never did cross my mind quite frankly speaking.

If you love thinking your fellow educators in the fraternity are stupid, why don't you think the same of the person who asked the question of whether taking on overseas trip will boost performance or portfolio? Imho, if one needs to ask that question, then he or she isn't that good/capable either.

Reply With Quote
  #11173 (permalink)  
Old 21-04-2024, 04:32 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
"Near perfect" hahaha. And so you thought I guess. I know we're mostly teachers here but some are so delusional it's not even funny. I guess the tuition industry don't thrive for no reason or you're convinced your students all do not require tuition due to your "near perfect" lessons.

The reality I see and hear on the ground is, hardly hear of people who are near perfect. Maybe in a school in a department (maybe not even all departments) at most you have one teacher who is THAT good. And even that teacher does not always deliver "near perfect" lessons.

If you think your lessons are near perfect, you're going to stay stagnant because pedagogy constantly revolves and comfort breeds complacency. Complacency breeds mediocrity. By the way, I have done overseas trip and never for a moment I think of it as doing it for the A grade. I thoroughly enjoyed being there for the preparation of students pre trip, the briefings, the interactions etc. The thought of boosting performance grade or portfolio never did cross my mind quite frankly speaking.

If you love thinking your fellow educators in the fraternity are stupid, why don't you think the same of the person who asked the question of whether taking on overseas trip will boost performance or portfolio? Imho, if one needs to ask that question, then he or she isn't that good/capable either.

agreed, why don't just earn extra $1k to $1.5 from tuition outside of teaching time.
knock off from school on time. block out those days to not give consultations - cause those don't actually earn money.
spend time more wisely that boost your actual income with certainty.
thinking that certain projects or portfolio can give you better portfolio - that's a lot of uncertainty.



Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #11174 (permalink)  
Old 21-04-2024, 05:16 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Onedrive

Is OneDrive down today? Can access? Seems to have a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #11175 (permalink)  
Old 21-04-2024, 05:30 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
does bringing students on overseas trips help boost your performance grade or portfolio?
If you are one of the main ICs or have a substantial role planning it, like doing ITQ, Rams, recce, then yes. If you are just a teacher chaperone with not much planning role except accompanying students on the actual trip itself, then no.
Reply With Quote
  #11176 (permalink)  
Old 21-04-2024, 07:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Actually untrue. Most doctors will not risk their careers to help teachers chao keng long term.
It is just not worth the years they spent getting to be a doctor.
Everyone, regardless of educator or not, can utilise their medical leave only if issued by medical doctors.
Speculations on the lack of risk for doctors is unprofessional and it undermines the medical profession in Sg.
Performance assessments are about performance. Absence from work is not performance at all.
Don't confuse a nurturing workplace for a workplace which can be exploited by those absentees.
If you are absent, how to work?

If not working, what performance?
Reply With Quote

  #11177 (permalink)  
Old 21-04-2024, 08:01 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Actually untrue. Most doctors will not risk their careers to help teachers chao keng long term.
It is just not worth the years they spent getting to be a doctor.
Everyone, regardless of educator or not, can utilise their medical leave only if issued by medical doctors.
Speculations on the lack of risk for doctors is unprofessional and it undermines the medical profession in Sg.
Performance assessments are about performance. Absence from work is not performance at all.
Don't confuse a nurturing workplace for a workplace which can be exploited by those absentees.
I think you're repeating just what the person mentioned in the post 😅


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #11178 (permalink)  
Old 21-04-2024, 08:06 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Question abcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Agreed. Not everybody is capable of preparing ITQs and doing RAMs from scratch; there’s no existing templates and we do not copy paste from previous trips.

We also take full responsibility to students well-being even for the slightest things that happen during the trip. We do not blame the student, circumstances or other factors. We give 100% unparalled attention and commitment (zero distraction). The positive impact the trip creates on students is lifechanging and mindblowing due to our efforts.

So yes, perfectly reasonable for us to chase/receive recognition, because all of these work is on top of our near-perfect lesson delivery and committee work. If our baseline responsibility in IP hasnt been met yet, do you think we’re thick-skinned enough to take on additional responsibility?

Geez. Dunno how many times I need to repeat this. I know we're mostly teachers here but some of you are so stupid it's not even funny.
walao eh, dun be sarcastic pls. some greenhorn will take your words seriously
Reply With Quote
  #11179 (permalink)  
Old 21-04-2024, 08:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default MOE breeding toxic educators 🥸

Reading from all the entries, the MOE toxic school culture from SLs, Kps and teacher are so apparent even in this forum! 🤣
Reply With Quote
  #11180 (permalink)  
Old 21-04-2024, 10:15 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Lightbulb enlightenment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Reading from all the entries, the MOE toxic school culture from SLs, Kps and teacher are so apparent even in this forum! 🤣
you seemed suprised! let me guess, you’re unaware of the high attrition rate? must be a new citizen heh in singapore, you cannot afford to just read the headlines. must make it a habit to read the whole article (there’re workarounds to paid premium articles).

nonetheless, welcome to Singapore!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
school teacher pay dazzlego Income and Jobs 10 30-07-2015 12:39 PM
Career advice for mid-career changer Rhin Income and Jobs 5 21-07-2010 11:21 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,787 Replies, 5,247,525 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,394 Replies, 6,975,033 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,834 Replies, 1,542,829 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,222 Replies, 3,877,054 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,570 Replies, 684,359 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,460 Replies, 2,464,605 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
938 Replies, 545,078 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
771 Replies, 447,043 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
830 Replies, 439,442 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,456 Replies, 3,532,964 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,263 Replies, 10,618,775 Views
If you can't find a company here... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
143 Replies, 55,030 Views
Working in SMRT ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
45 Replies, 61,190 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
372 Replies, 260,696 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
885 Replies, 418,264 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,859 Replies, 1,613,291 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,967 Replies, 4,802,315 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
707 Replies, 411,760 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,175 Replies, 1,120,450 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,795 Replies, 2,459,633 Views
Civil Servant Bonus Mid-2023 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
155 Replies, 161,611 Views
Singapore Airlines ( 1 2 3)
24 Replies, 14,144 Views
Maritime and Port Authority of... ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 21,556 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,431 Replies, 4,895,378 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
341 Replies, 389,754 Views
JP Morgan ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
202 Replies, 183,579 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,586 Replies, 1,433,021 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,302 Replies, 666,122 Views
Early Retirement ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 16,136 Views
Anyone worked in singhealth/nhg? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
71 Replies, 175,743 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2