Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 21-04-2024, 04:57 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Actually, it is a very fair question to ask. Organising an overseas trip for students involves a significant amount of advance planning and administrative work. During the trip, liability falls squarely on the accompanying teacher's shoulders. And given students' nature, the likelihood of someone fooling around and getting into trouble despite all of the teacher's precautions is nontrivial.

So given all these considerations, it is entirely reasonable for a teacher to do the cost benefit analysis - is all the hassle and potential liability worth the reward both professionally and from an educational perspective.

Let's not be quick to call each other's conviction and professionalism into question where such important issues are at stake.
Agreed. Not everybody is capable of preparing ITQs and doing RAMs from scratch; there’s no existing templates and we do not copy paste from previous trips.

We also take full responsibility to students well-being even for the slightest things that happen during the trip. We do not blame the student, circumstances or other factors. We give 100% unparalled attention and commitment (zero distraction). The positive impact the trip creates on students is lifechanging and mindblowing due to our efforts.

So yes, perfectly reasonable for us to chase/receive recognition, because all of these work is on top of our near-perfect lesson delivery and committee work. If our baseline responsibility in IP hasnt been met yet, do you think we’re thick-skinned enough to take on additional responsibility?

Geez. Dunno how many times I need to repeat this. I know we're mostly teachers here but some of you are so stupid it's not even funny.

Old 21-04-2024, 09:58 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Agreed. Not everybody is capable of preparing ITQs and doing RAMs from scratch; there’s no existing templates and we do not copy paste from previous trips.

We also take full responsibility to students well-being even for the slightest things that happen during the trip. We do not blame the student, circumstances or other factors. We give 100% unparalled attention and commitment (zero distraction). The positive impact the trip creates on students is lifechanging and mindblowing due to our efforts.

So yes, perfectly reasonable for us to chase/receive recognition, because all of these work is on top of our near-perfect lesson delivery and committee work. If our baseline responsibility in IP hasnt been met yet, do you think we’re thick-skinned enough to take on additional responsibility?

Geez. Dunno how many times I need to repeat this. I know we're mostly teachers here but some of you are so stupid it's not even funny.
"Near perfect" hahaha. And so you thought I guess. I know we're mostly teachers here but some are so delusional it's not even funny. I guess the tuition industry don't thrive for no reason or you're convinced your students all do not require tuition due to your "near perfect" lessons.

The reality I see and hear on the ground is, hardly hear of people who are near perfect. Maybe in a school in a department (maybe not even all departments) at most you have one teacher who is THAT good. And even that teacher does not always deliver "near perfect" lessons.

If you think your lessons are near perfect, you're going to stay stagnant because pedagogy constantly revolves and comfort breeds complacency. Complacency breeds mediocrity. By the way, I have done overseas trip and never for a moment I think of it as doing it for the A grade. I thoroughly enjoyed being there for the preparation of students pre trip, the briefings, the interactions etc. The thought of boosting performance grade or portfolio never did cross my mind quite frankly speaking.

If you love thinking your fellow educators in the fraternity are stupid, why don't you think the same of the person who asked the question of whether taking on overseas trip will boost performance or portfolio? Imho, if one needs to ask that question, then he or she isn't that good/capable either.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 21-04-2024, 04:32 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up agree

Quote:
"Near perfect" hahaha. And so you thought I guess. I know we're mostly teachers here but some are so delusional it's not even funny. I guess the tuition industry don't thrive for no reason or you're convinced your students all do not require tuition due to your "near perfect" lessons.

The reality I see and hear on the ground is, hardly hear of people who are near perfect. Maybe in a school in a department (maybe not even all departments) at most you have one teacher who is THAT good. And even that teacher does not always deliver "near perfect" lessons.

If you think your lessons are near perfect, you're going to stay stagnant because pedagogy constantly revolves and comfort breeds complacency. Complacency breeds mediocrity. By the way, I have done overseas trip and never for a moment I think of it as doing it for the A grade. I thoroughly enjoyed being there for the preparation of students pre trip, the briefings, the interactions etc. The thought of boosting performance grade or portfolio never did cross my mind quite frankly speaking.

If you love thinking your fellow educators in the fraternity are stupid, why don't you think the same of the person who asked the question of whether taking on overseas trip will boost performance or portfolio? Imho, if one needs to ask that question, then he or she isn't that good/capable either.

agreed, why don't just earn extra $1k to $1.5 from tuition outside of teaching time.
knock off from school on time. block out those days to not give consultations - cause those don't actually earn money.
spend time more wisely that boost your actual income with certainty.
thinking that certain projects or portfolio can give you better portfolio - that's a lot of uncertainty.

Old 21-04-2024, 05:16 PM
Unregistered

Default Onedrive

Is OneDrive down today? Can access? Seems to have a problem.
Old 21-04-2024, 05:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
does bringing students on overseas trips help boost your performance grade or portfolio?
If you are one of the main ICs or have a substantial role planning it, like doing ITQ, Rams, recce, then yes. If you are just a teacher chaperone with not much planning role except accompanying students on the actual trip itself, then no.
Old 21-04-2024, 07:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Actually untrue. Most doctors will not risk their careers to help teachers chao keng long term.
It is just not worth the years they spent getting to be a doctor.
Everyone, regardless of educator or not, can utilise their medical leave only if issued by medical doctors.
Speculations on the lack of risk for doctors is unprofessional and it undermines the medical profession in Sg.
Performance assessments are about performance. Absence from work is not performance at all.
Don't confuse a nurturing workplace for a workplace which can be exploited by those absentees.
If you are absent, how to work?

If not working, what performance?

Old 21-04-2024, 08:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Actually untrue. Most doctors will not risk their careers to help teachers chao keng long term.
It is just not worth the years they spent getting to be a doctor.
Everyone, regardless of educator or not, can utilise their medical leave only if issued by medical doctors.
Speculations on the lack of risk for doctors is unprofessional and it undermines the medical profession in Sg.
Performance assessments are about performance. Absence from work is not performance at all.
Don't confuse a nurturing workplace for a workplace which can be exploited by those absentees.
I think you're repeating just what the person mentioned in the post 😅
Old 21-04-2024, 08:06 PM
Unregistered

Question abcd

Quote:

walao eh, dun be sarcastic pls. some greenhorn will take your words seriously
Old 21-04-2024, 08:07 PM
Unregistered

Default MOE breeding toxic educators 🥸

Reading from all the entries, the MOE toxic school culture from SLs, Kps and teacher are so apparent even in this forum! 🤣
Old 21-04-2024, 10:15 PM
Unregistered

Lightbulb enlightenment

Quote:
Reading from all the entries, the MOE toxic school culture from SLs, Kps and teacher are so apparent even in this forum! 🤣
you seemed suprised! let me guess, you’re unaware of the high attrition rate? must be a new citizen heh in singapore, you cannot afford to just read the headlines. must make it a habit to read the whole article (there’re workarounds to paid premium articles).

nonetheless, welcome to Singapore!