High Finance Thread - Page 45 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




High Finance Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #441 (permalink)  
Old 19-01-2022, 08:53 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Don't know what you guys talking about. DB sales and trading still paying top tier salary.....
DB sales and trading is the lowest paying among the BBs sales and trading... everyone bumped but DB

Reply With Quote
  #442 (permalink)  
Old 21-01-2022, 11:40 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I've been working as an architectural designer since graduation from NUS to finish my scholarship bonds. I am very interested in changing to the financial industry, I have been studying CFA at my own time (haven't take the exam) and planning to take a one year Msc in Applied Finance at SMU to facilitate my shift.

I do not have finance professional or academic background prior. What are the chances of me landing a decent job after getting the MAF at SMU? Ideally, it would be a FO/analyst job at an IB but it likely too much to hope for.

I've just turned 30 and drawing low 4k at my current job. Or it's completely fat hope/not worth it for a shift. I wouldn't want to end up spending 50k on a Master that then lands a job that pay lower than what i have now.

Can someone in the industry share some advice on this? Appreciated

Reply With Quote
  #443 (permalink)  
Old 22-01-2022, 04:44 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am very interested in changing to the financial industry
Anything in financial industry or a specific role? You need to know the exact roles you want to target, then you can weigh the probability and trade off. Especially since it may take some detour and there is a good probability the master does not reap its benefits.

Changing an industry is never going to be easy, and it gets tougher as you aged. If you are talking about MA programmes which hired Masters students, maybe that could work since it hired more generically. If you are talking about investment banking or markets type of work, you will probably need to aim for smaller firms and intern quite aggressively. Even then, not sure how easy it is to get the internships.

I am in AM and have been involved in interviewing ppl in last 2-3 years. If there is an open position for someone new to the industry, I will find it hard to choose an early 30s mid career switch resume for interview. I will worry about factors like: sufficient basic finance related knowledge, level of motivation, ability to reset thinking approach

Reply With Quote
  #444 (permalink)  
Old 22-01-2022, 11:16 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I've been working as an architectural designer since graduation from NUS to finish my scholarship bonds. I am very interested in changing to the financial industry, I have been studying CFA at my own time (haven't take the exam) and planning to take a one year Msc in Applied Finance at SMU to facilitate my shift.

I do not have finance professional or academic background prior. What are the chances of me landing a decent job after getting the MAF at SMU? Ideally, it would be a FO/analyst job at an IB but it likely too much to hope for.

I've just turned 30 and drawing low 4k at my current job. Or it's completely fat hope/not worth it for a shift. I wouldn't want to end up spending 50k on a Master that then lands a job that pay lower than what i have now.

Can someone in the industry share some advice on this? Appreciated

Poster 444 is correct to say that you must be prepared to work for smaller firms given your lack of experience and age works against you. I must say front office position is out as outlined above. However, you can still expect to enjoy a much higher payout from current salary after your post graduation given your interest and provided you must prepare to intern in a smaller outfit even while you aim to enter the MO function in a top financial firm. I must add that the latter is not given even if you can graduate with flying colours due to still competition. These are the realities you must consider.
Reply With Quote
  #445 (permalink)  
Old 23-01-2022, 01:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Middle or back office considered high finance or not?
Reply With Quote
  #446 (permalink)  
Old 23-01-2022, 01:51 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Middle or back office considered high finance or not?
Obviously not
Reply With Quote

  #447 (permalink)  
Old 23-01-2022, 02:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Middle or back office considered high finance or not?
haha ok. tks for asking . but haha now
Reply With Quote
  #448 (permalink)  
Old 24-01-2022, 10:37 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

All numbers in SGD

Think most top PE starting 9-10k base for analyst but analyst hires are rare as they typically take 2yoe analysts from IB as associates instead of fresh grads as analysts. Heard regional ones pay closer to 5-7k

PE asso typically from 12-18k base, lower than IB asso, but PE typically have a 6-18 month bonus (i.e. 18-30mth annual package) instead of IB which is 4-8 mth bonus for some banks and 9-15 mths for others.

At good to top funds annual you can expect 220-500k as an assoc (2-5 yoe) and maybe 150-250k as an analyst (0-2 yoe)

Don't think you will see carry until VP/Principal+

SWFs match in base / bonus but you will lose out long term in carry, but more career security

PE your deals can't suck, else out you / your team goes

you can check mycareersfuture for base salary listings.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #449 (permalink)  
Old 24-01-2022, 10:44 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
All numbers in SGD

Think most top PE starting 9-10k base for analyst but analyst hires are rare as they typically take 2yoe analysts from IB as associates instead of fresh grads as analysts. Heard regional ones pay closer to 5-7k

PE asso typically from 12-18k base, lower than IB asso, but PE typically have a 6-18 month bonus (i.e. 18-30mth annual package) instead of IB which is 4-8 mth bonus for some banks and 9-15 mths for others.

At good to top funds annual you can expect 220-500k as an assoc (2-5 yoe) and maybe 150-250k as an analyst (0-2 yoe)

Don't think you will see carry until VP/Principal+

SWFs match in base / bonus but you will lose out long term in carry, but more career security

PE your deals can't suck, else out you / your team goes

you can check mycareersfuture for base salary listings.
This is quite an accurate summary
Reply With Quote
  #450 (permalink)  
Old 25-01-2022, 12:08 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Middle or back office considered high finance or not?
so BO MO in goldman jpm or FO in boutique more satki?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
finance, fund management, ibd, m&a, pevc

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official Lasik/ Relexsmile Thread shirlyn General Discussions 1 18-06-2016 06:33 PM
Household Expenses Breakdown Thread mugster Income and Jobs 10 21-10-2015 09:01 AM
The Gem of UK property (High yield, High Growth, Positive cash flow) newsgprop Market Talk 4 12-01-2015 12:03 PM
UNISIM Alumni thread Gradsoon Income and Jobs 3 25-02-2014 04:38 AM
SIM-UOL Degree in Econs/Finance or Accounting/Finance Shenanigans Income and Jobs 3 07-07-2012 12:41 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,478 Replies, 1,964,236 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,831 Replies, 6,205,775 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
855 Replies, 591,321 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,045 Replies, 355,181 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,601 Replies, 2,233,316 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
849 Replies, 171,808 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
161 Replies, 60,547 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,003 Replies, 8,657,454 Views
15% ROI monthly is it too hard to... ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 2,548 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,974 Replies, 778,225 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,712 Replies, 814,987 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,327 Replies, 2,220,908 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,213 Replies, 864,101 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
347 Replies, 135,780 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,903 Replies, 1,857,746 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
855 Replies, 221,879 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
838 Replies, 388,107 Views
How rich/poor am I compared to... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
111 Replies, 104,126 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,625 Replies, 868,762 Views
JP Morgan ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
152 Replies, 91,993 Views
How do people in their early 30s... ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 507 Views
Buying or renting a property ???... ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 24,602 Views
Anyone ever rage quitted your job... ( 1 2 3)
29 Replies, 1,557 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
539 Replies, 185,785 Views
DXC Technology Software Developer ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 2,444 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
195 Replies, 158,197 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,195 Replies, 878,913 Views
Credit Suisse ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
174 Replies, 112,460 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
333 Replies, 124,649 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2