Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

High Finance Thread

Old 22-10-2021, 08:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It's true there are local grad hires. Which local uni matters not as much as the ability to get yourself in front of the hiring managers for the interview. That means either you have to have the relevant internship experience and/or ways to show your keen interest in the industry for you to have things to talk about and the bosses to ask you questions about. Or you have well-connected parents or friends in the industry to get you in the door for the chance to meet the hiring managers. Otherwise, there are just way too many people applying for the bosses to even consider talking to.
Of course, FO is only for the cream of the crop. Networking is a huge driver as well. It'll help you a lot in breaking into FO but it's not a strict pre-requisite per say. You need to have strong interest in finance demostrated through finance internships of course but you don't need a rich daddy to get you in.

Having multiple cca, multiple case competitions wins or finals, multiple internships, good honors are pre-requisities. Lack any one of these and you sure the hell won't be getting into FO. Bonus points for overseas internships or exchanges. These are qualities that local uni grads have in abundance. Trying to find a local biz grad especially finance grads without every one of these criteria is as good as finding a needle in the haystack. Private grads on the other hand..

Old 22-10-2021, 08:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
There is 0 chance for a private uni grad breaking into FO. They don't have the same pedigree as the big 3. Private uni grads do not have 1) multiple CCAs, 2) multiple quality internshups, 3) leadership roles, 4) case competitions, 5) the banks do not go down to SIM, SUSS to network and recruit undergrads there.

It is customary practice for the big 3 unis' career centres to send a list of their top students to these BB IBs' HR team. These HR teams will then invite these top students for a networking sessions on-campus. Private uni grads lack the 5 criteria that I stated above. They have absolutely 0 chance of breaking into MBFC.
Clearly someone who has a grudge. I know what you are saying is untrue because this is my lived reality. Won over the book smart, street stupid local uni grads with my portfolio and internship achievements.

And I am not the only one. Simply stop being blind and you will see many examples on LinkedIn. We will never win street smart local uni grads, they are the cream of the crop. But they are also exceedingly rare. Most local uni grads are immature jokers that don't know how to think for themselves, like you.

Old 22-10-2021, 08:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Clearly someone who has a grudge. I know what you are saying is untrue because this is my lived reality. Won over the book smart, street stupid local uni grads with my portfolio and internship achievements.

And I am not the only one. Simply stop being blind and you will see many examples on LinkedIn. We will never win street smart local uni grads, they are the cream of the crop. But they are also exceedingly rare. Most local uni grads are immature jokers that don't know how to think for themselves, like you.
Clearly someone who has a grudge. I know what you are saying is untrue because this is my lived reality. Won over the book stupid, street smart private uni grads with my portfolio and internship achievements.

And I am not the only one. Simply stop being blind and you will see many examples on LinkedIn. Private uni grads will never win book smart local uni grads, they are not the cream of the crop. They are also exceedingly abundant. Most private uni grads are immature jokers that don't know how to think for themselves, like you.

Old 23-10-2021, 12:26 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Clearly someone who has a grudge. I know what you are saying is untrue because this is my lived reality. Won over the book stupid, street smart private uni grads with my portfolio and internship achievements.

And I am not the only one. Simply stop being blind and you will see many examples on LinkedIn. Private uni grads will never win book smart local uni grads, they are not the cream of the crop. They are also exceedingly abundant. Most private uni grads are immature jokers that don't know how to think for themselves, like you.
Talent and hard work trumps plus a little luck and knowing the right people goes a long way. I was from ntu and I agree with this. Private or local, many grads don’t have the right attitude
Old 23-10-2021, 01:32 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Talent and hard work trumps plus a little luck and knowing the right people goes a long way. I was from ntu and I agree with this. Private or local, many grads don’t have the right attitude
Precisely. My private uni self coexists with those local grads who are competent as well, we are all in FO. All in all, if you have a good head on your shoulders, you will definitely go far.
Old 23-10-2021, 10:25 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Able to share more details on what your role is and how long you have worked?

70% increment on base salary is crazy if you are jumping ship, let alone promotion.
Truth be told, I'm a private degree holder who worked couple years in ops, before an MM gave me a shot in markets. I left as an AVP in ops, to become an analyst (still made sense monetarily). And this 70% is not through jumping ship, I am still with MM.

Old 25-10-2021, 01:50 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

I can guarantee you that the average local uni grad has more internship achievements and a more stacked portfolio than the average private uni grad.
Old 25-10-2021, 10:11 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Truth be told, I'm a private degree holder who worked couple years in ops, before an MM gave me a shot in markets. I left as an AVP in ops, to become an analyst (still made sense monetarily). And this 70% is not through jumping ship, I am still with MM.
Oh i see, that explains the phenomenal jump. I'd still say that you have done extremely well and there is like a maximum of 0.1% of someone from BO jumping to FO.
Old 25-10-2021, 10:12 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Precisely. My private uni self coexists with those local grads who are competent as well, we are all in FO. All in all, if you have a good head on your shoulders, you will definitely go far.
Do people even care about your degree once you have the necessary experience?

You can go on to take a Masters/Phd, get a CFA Chartedholder, network with the correct people, then your bachelor's degree pretty much becomes irrelevant.
Old 25-10-2021, 12:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Do people even care about your degree once you have the necessary experience?

You can go on to take a Masters/Phd, get a CFA Chartedholder, network with the correct people, then your bachelor's degree pretty much becomes irrelevant.
Do you even work in this field? If we are talking IB, the best way is to get the combination of good results and non academic portfolio to enter at analyst, or do an mba at a top school to enter at associate.

Why would IBs consider someone with non relevant experience or credentials? They have their pick of top candidates who are better, hungrier and younger with higher potential.