Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   High Finance Thread (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/11831-high-finance-thread.html)

equiteer 25-07-2019 10:34 PM

High Finance Thread

Starting this thread to get the ball rolling on discussions about front office financial careers in sg. This includes ib/m&a, private equity, hedge funds, vc, long-only am, trading, research etc.

Given the limited number of seats and hence people in this space, there is a dearth of information on pay, firms, and career progression.

Personally, I've worked at various firms on the buyside in private equity and hedge funds. Happy to field questions from the community if any.

Unregistered 26-07-2019 02:08 PM

How does the pay in PE compare to IB? Is IB entry level pay rly 10k+pm?

Unregistered 27-07-2019 01:45 PM

What's the pay range like for equity research analysts, say in top firms such as Blackrock?

Unregistered 28-07-2019 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 122125)
How does the pay in PE compare to IB? Is IB entry level pay rly 10k+pm?

IB can range from 6 to 10k entry. ~70 hour work weeks expected tho, 14 hours daily

Unregistered 28-07-2019 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 122164)
What's the pay range like for equity research analysts, say in top firms such as Blackrock?

Depends on seniority. Entry level should be high-single digits, only slight discount to IB but lower bonus.

Unregistered 28-07-2019 01:07 PM

How about roles in corporate banking? Structured Finance/ commodity finance, FI or NBFI, are they not considered as FO position too or less appealing in the market?

Unregistered 28-07-2019 01:27 PM

Thanks for starting this thread OP. i am in my early 30s and am a corp tax manager in a big 4 in the tax advisory space (done some tax due diligence etc) and am interested in moving out of tax and into high finance. What are my best options in consideration of my experience?

Appreciate the help!

Unregistered 28-07-2019 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 122190)
Thanks for starting this thread OP. i am in my early 30s and am a corp tax manager in a big 4 in the tax advisory space (done some tax due diligence etc) and am interested in moving out of tax and into high finance. What are my best options in consideration of my experience?

Appreciate the help!

Any specific areas of high finance that you aim to break into? Generally, these areas include Investment Banking/Capital Markets, Private Equity, Hedge Fund, Equity Research or Sales & Trading/Global Markets.

Unregistered 28-07-2019 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 122199)
Any specific areas of high finance that you aim to break into? Generally, these areas include Investment Banking/Capital Markets, Private Equity, Hedge Fund, Equity Research or Sales & Trading/Global Markets.

personally, i'm interested in equity research or sale and trading, but given my big 4 tax advisory background, how do i go about changing field?

Unregistered 28-07-2019 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 122201)
personally, i'm interested in equity research or sale and trading, but given my big 4 tax advisory background, how do i go about changing field?

Have you considered the MBA or M.Fin route?