Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - High Finance Thread
View Single Post
Old 22-01-2022, 11:16 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I've been working as an architectural designer since graduation from NUS to finish my scholarship bonds. I am very interested in changing to the financial industry, I have been studying CFA at my own time (haven't take the exam) and planning to take a one year Msc in Applied Finance at SMU to facilitate my shift.

I do not have finance professional or academic background prior. What are the chances of me landing a decent job after getting the MAF at SMU? Ideally, it would be a FO/analyst job at an IB but it likely too much to hope for.

I've just turned 30 and drawing low 4k at my current job. Or it's completely fat hope/not worth it for a shift. I wouldn't want to end up spending 50k on a Master that then lands a job that pay lower than what i have now.

Can someone in the industry share some advice on this? Appreciated

Poster 444 is correct to say that you must be prepared to work for smaller firms given your lack of experience and age works against you. I must say front office position is out as outlined above. However, you can still expect to enjoy a much higher payout from current salary after your post graduation given your interest and provided you must prepare to intern in a smaller outfit even while you aim to enter the MO function in a top financial firm. I must add that the latter is not given even if you can graduate with flying colours due to still competition. These are the realities you must consider.