MAS for Mid Career Professionals - Page 227 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Companies

Companies Discuss companies and organisations.

MAS for Mid Career Professionals

Old 19-06-2024, 07:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Looks like ITD isn’t a place to land any footprint or footstep there.
mostly use mouth to work. Talk or scold.
Found her! Rachel. But seems like not ITD one leh. I don’t know what she does then. Why got so many tech team one.

Old 19-06-2024, 07:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Information on salary and other matters here are estimates based on experience of posters gathered over the years. Thus far salary estimates has not been disputed. DD1 base and ceiling should not be too hard to guess given the number of DD1s around. There is usually some overlap in the base. When DD1s get promoted to DD2s and higher DD grades, there will always be those who discuss salary increment and that’s how the figures get around.

To get a confirmed base and ceiling for each grade, you would need to approach HR. If you’re not yet employee of MAS, you can find their contact from the government directory. Whether they are able to disclose the figure to you, I would not know, so an estimate is better than nothing.
I always thought DD very dua pai but realise here got a lot of DD. Like that so many 10k earners here meh? I don’t believe it. I tried to negotiate with the HR and they told me I was close to max cap for DD.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 19-06-2024, 07:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Found her! Rachel. But seems like not ITD one leh. I don’t know what she does then. Why got so many tech team one.
In case you haven’t realised, MAS thread is quite “guai” relative to other threads on this forum, in that people don’t really name or identify others here. So suggest you don’t do so, cos you never know how they might react.

Anyway, from your previous post, you are not the one being scolded or spoken loudly to, if anything to complain, it should be for that guy she was allegedly scolding or speaking loudly to to do right?

I don’t know who she is but you gain nothing from trying to out her… anyway from what I know (my own experience and what other colleagues have told me), some of the “old school” MAS folks can be quite “teruk” (fierce) when scolding people in terms of the tone and volume of their voice, including towards their own staff… so I won’t be surprised if no one bats an eyelid or even find some fault that justified the scolding… ha ha ha…

Old 19-06-2024, 08:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I always thought DD very dua pai but realise here got a lot of DD. Like that so many 10k earners here meh? I don’t believe it. I tried to negotiate with the HR and they told me I was close to max cap for DD.
Yes, there is no standard definition of what is a DD across public service. In some agencies, DD is a big deal and will have supervisory responsibilities. In MAS, the different DD grades can range from individual contributor with 7-10 yoe, team leader, even division head. On paper, everyone’s title is a DD…

Long ago promotion to DD was a big deal as more justification was required. Now, especially for guys, it’s a matter of years if they stay on long enough as AD and don’t make some misstep. For mid-career, 7-10 years outside will usually be recruited as DD1, this is just based on the examples I see from diff department. You will find some departments got almost equal proportion of DD to AD, or even more DD than AD.

One reason for this is that unlike some other ministries or stat board, here there isn’t the concept of a SAD (senior assistant director), so what may be a SAD in another govt agency would be a junior DD here…

Mind sharing what was your pay before you join MAS, what you tried to negotiate, and what is your current pay? Since so many DDs, no fear that HR will know who you are… hehehehe
Old 19-06-2024, 09:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
If you’re talking about outright retrenchment of “top performers” in the public service, I agree to a limited extent. From my conversations with and observation of “top performers” over the years, however, their position as they know it can be “gone” through redesignation (to a position not to their expectation) or being superseded by someone the organisation/service deems more suitable. For some, this is too much of an affront to pride and they leave. Voluntary or not, it’s debatable.

As for your example, in theory it is not incorrect. In practice, unless the company is also undergoing restructuring and/or rationalisation of headcount, a relocation need not automatically translate into your job being poof. At the very least, there will be an attempt to move you to different roles within the MNC, if we are indeed talking about “best performers”. And even if the company were to close down, a truly “best performer” with competitive skills should have no issue being headhunted for another job.

In any case, I don’t think anyone is really disputing there is more “job security” in the public sector, in the sense that employers have to jump through more hoops to rid themselves of someone they don’t like - including but not limited to picking on “performance issues” so as to make it unbearable for the employee on the receiving end. The issue which provoked responses other than mine, is that the dichotomy you drew between work in the public and private sectors in your original posts appears too rigid, and reveals the textbook views of someone who has never worked outside of the public sector.

It seems that your weakness goes beyond inability/unwillingness to listen effectively to views different from your own but also inability/unwillingness to comprehend/accept what is in plain sight (in this case, the perspectives on your two “questions” which I decline to repeat again).

Since we are (still) unable to agree to disagree, pls don’t waste your breath engaging as your starting point was not to be consultative. Read more of Ray Dalio or observe other positive examples in MAS, if it helps your learning and development.
Strange you quoted Ray Dalio, is this person supposed to be authoritative? It seems to me you prefer to speak in riddles, but that's perfectly fine; but being succinct might never have been a strength of yours
Old 19-06-2024, 09:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
In case you haven’t realised, MAS thread is quite “guai” relative to other threads on this forum, in that people don’t really name or identify others here. So suggest you don’t do so, cos you never know how they might react.

Anyway, from your previous post, you are not the one being scolded or spoken loudly to, if anything to complain, it should be for that guy she was allegedly scolding or speaking loudly to to do right?

I don’t know who she is but you gain nothing from trying to out her… anyway from what I know (my own experience and what other colleagues have told me), some of the “old school” MAS folks can be quite “teruk” (fierce) when scolding people in terms of the tone and volume of their voice, including towards their own staff… so I won’t be surprised if no one bats an eyelid or even find some fault that justified the scolding… ha ha ha…
I’m not trying to out her. It was just my own curiosity to find out who and what department that could be to have such angry people around. No benefits for me to name her since I won’t interact with her for my course of work. I thot it’s just a bad toxic behavior that MAS shouldn’t have.

Old 19-06-2024, 09:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I’m not trying to out her. It was just my own curiosity to find out who and what department that could be to have such angry people around. No benefits for me to name her since I won’t interact with her for my course of work. I thot it’s just a bad toxic behavior that MAS shouldn’t have.
Lol welcome to MAS. There are many of such toxic people who are like that. Dunid quote names next time. The list is longer than just 1.
Old 19-06-2024, 10:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Strange you quoted Ray Dalio, is this person supposed to be authoritative? It seems to me you prefer to speak in riddles, but that's perfectly fine; but being succinct might never have been a strength of yours
What a peculiar question. Is Ray Dalio such an unknown to people who are supposed to regulate the finance sector, both in Singapore and around the world? The former MAS chief, whom I respect, has publicly referenced him in speeches on more than one occasion. Investment contributions aside, I am aware that certain people follow Dalio management principles fairly religiously. As your repeated questions about MAS talent retention suggested difficulty grasping viewpoints that seemed straightforward or unequivocal from the quoted text, to be helpful I thought of recommending a well known guru on self-improvement. Guess it’s not appreciated.

As for succinctness, the response is proportionate to the original post. Where there are statements that are imbalanced or can be easily contradicted by publicly available information, would you not agree it is necessary to correct the inaccuracies - especially if you’re posting views here as a current employee of MAS (I wouldn’t know). Please don’t take it personally, it’s ok to be wrong sometimes
Old 19-06-2024, 10:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Lol welcome to MAS. There are many of such toxic people who are like that. Dunid quote names next time. The list is longer than just 1.
If it’s just angry scolding it’s not the worst, never respectful to be scolded until other colleagues on same floor can hear (have heard stories about that from more than one source), but at least such people are WYSIWYG. What’s worse are those who are passive aggressive due to their insecurities. But you can also learn lessons from such people which is to ignore, avoid, or even have a laugh at their behaviour.
Old 19-06-2024, 10:47 PM
Unregistered

I applied for a few departments at MAS and only payments department gotten back. May I know how is the life there? And is the pay scale the same as other department? I assume payments department are attracting fintech players, is the salary higher here?