MAS for Mid Career Professionals - Page 228 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Companies

Companies Discuss companies and organisations.

MAS for Mid Career Professionals

Old 19-06-2024, 10:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I applied for a few departments at MAS and only payments department gotten back. May I know how is the life there? And is the pay scale the same as other department? I assume payments department are attracting fintech players, is the salary higher here?
Your pay scale is tied to your grade, donít see why it should be higher.

I heard that it can be quite hectic as they are regulating a new-ish area and the number of payment institutions to supervisors is very high. That said, it might be worth a try for the exit opportunities.

Do you have a verbal offer already and is this your first choice department? If you can wait wait or check response of other dept u applied to, if not usually have to stay 2-3 years before can rotate.

Old 19-06-2024, 11:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Staff there told me before the work load can be quite heavy as each officer has numerous payment companies under their supervision (you will be the main contact person for all matters relating to the companies assigned to you, be it questions from the company itself, other departments, bosses, members of public and so on).

Not clear what you mean by operate like fintech. MAS being part of public service, you will have to clear most or all matters (even fairly straightforward outgoing emails) relating to your supervised companies through at least one layer (your team leader), if not two (your division head) or more (department head and above). While I havenít heard anything very bad about the bosses there, some will find the clearance process a chore as you will find some MAS bosses give a large amount of attention to writing - even for pieces of work that are relatively low on the scale of importance (not intended for public consumption, does not require clearance beyond team leader or division head). It is fair to say the iterative process of rewriting output can consume a large amount of officers time depending on who you get to work with.

As with any job offer, ultimately you have to assess for yourself whether your perception of the ďbrand nameĒ and learning experience you hope to receive, balanced against other cons of the job that are not apparent before joining, is worth the package offered.
Is this similar to banking department?

Old 19-06-2024, 11:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yes, there is no standard definition of what is a DD across public service. In some agencies, DD is a big deal and will have supervisory responsibilities. In MAS, the different DD grades can range from individual contributor with 7-10 yoe, team leader, even division head. On paper, everyoneís title is a DDÖ

Long ago promotion to DD was a big deal as more justification was required. Now, especially for guys, itís a matter of years if they stay on long enough as AD and donít make some misstep. For mid-career, 7-10 years outside will usually be recruited as DD1, this is just based on the examples I see from diff department. You will find some departments got almost equal proportion of DD to AD, or even more DD than AD.

One reason for this is that unlike some other ministries or stat board, here there isnít the concept of a SAD (senior assistant director), so what may be a SAD in another govt agency would be a junior DD hereÖ

Mind sharing what was your pay before you join MAS, what you tried to negotiate, and what is your current pay? Since so many DDs, no fear that HR will know who you areÖ hehehehe
I was getting slightly over 10k but took a pay cut to join MAS. Tried nego but was told that I had hit the cap for the role. What happen if I hit the cap? I will automatically get promoted? Or did I got lowballed?

Old 19-06-2024, 11:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Is this similar to banking department?
Ok it really depends on what you want out of the MAS experience yah. Are you hoping to come here a few years then leave for FI, or youíre open to staying?

Needless to say, the dept that is most suitable for u will depend on your current skills and experience.

Clearance processes and culture wise, I would say itís broadly similar regardless of which dept you join in MAS.

In terms of supervisory workflows, I have the impression BD is more structured simply because it has been around for much longer and ditto for its Act/Regulations/guidelines. It really depends what catches your interest.
Old 19-06-2024, 11:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I was getting slightly over 10k but took a pay cut to join MAS. Tried nego but was told that I had hit the cap for the role. What happen if I hit the cap? I will automatically get promoted? Or did I got lowballed?
Donít really understand, so now you are DD1 or AD2? And you are paid less than 10k? I understand there may be some overlap between base of DD1 and ceiling of AD2 but thats based on what others say.

Donít think reach ceiling means will automatically get promoted leh. If itís just few hundred dollar difference cannot be considered lowball leh, but ball is in employer court to pay what they think is worth for your experience or qualifications
Old 20-06-2024, 12:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Donít really understand, so now you are DD1 or AD2? And you are paid less than 10k? I understand there may be some overlap between base of DD1 and ceiling of AD2 but thats based on what others say.

Donít think reach ceiling means will automatically get promoted leh. If itís just few hundred dollar difference cannot be considered lowball leh, but ball is in employer court to pay what they think is worth for your experience or qualifications
Iím dd1 and less than 10k now in mas. So looking at the past reference range I am being under paid?

Old 20-06-2024, 12:13 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Iím dd1 and less than 10k now in mas. So looking at the past reference range I am being under paid?
I cannot comment leh as I dunno what reference point or considerations HR made their offer base on.

Anyway is it that far below 10k, if itís 9-9.9k does it really matter? Haha

Perhaps HR wants to allow some room for your yearly incrementsÖ so with a couple of hundred each year you will soon be back at your old pay scale!
Old 20-06-2024, 08:22 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
If itís just angry scolding itís not the worst, never respectful to be scolded until other colleagues on same floor can hear (have heard stories about that from more than one source), but at least such people are WYSIWYG. Whatís worse are those who are passive aggressive due to their insecurities. But you can also learn lessons from such people which is to ignore, avoid, or even have a laugh at their behaviour.
Mas needs to promote anger management courses for their people.
Old 20-06-2024, 08:31 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Mas needs to promote anger management courses for their people.
For certain people only. Most staff who are farmers are mild mannered with equanimous temperament. For the toxic ones who have no constructive outlet for their angst, they are good at masquerading and may not be caught out easily or admit they need help
Old 20-06-2024, 09:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I applied for a few departments at MAS and only payments department gotten back. May I know how is the life there? And is the pay scale the same as other department? I assume payments department are attracting fintech players, is the salary higher here?
Depending on what you want. Payments department is not for everyone..
maybe for ex-auditors, they will be ok with the life there.. can be quite busy