IMDA (under MCI) - Page 75 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Companies

Companies Discuss companies and organisations.

IMDA (under MCI)

Old 19-08-2023, 11:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Anyone can share what it's like under HCD Talent Dev't? Saw a number of posts on AO but just one reference to the TD boss, DT. Is it toxic too? Why so?
DT's ego is as big as her waistline. Probably got no friends outside that's why kept jio-ing her team to go walking/jogging after office hours and even on weekends.

Old 20-08-2023, 10:39 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
If you join IMDA but you are not a scholar maybe stay for 2-3 years at most. Here's what is happening in my department. A scholar just parachuted in from MCI. She's 33 and already Assistant Director. She joined in Feb, and since then has already staffed the Director and the Assistant Chief Executive for biz trips. She has been chosen to staff the Chief Executive next. Meanwhile non scholars like me have to beg for legitimate conferences, declined all times so far, and instead asked to choose conferences which are virtual. Ok so biz trip envy? Not quite. The creme de la scholar has been given a fully, choose as you please, hybrid work arrangement. We're all in the same team by the way, and are reminded often to stay the 9 hours and not "abuse" the hybrid arrangement. As a result, hires from industry come, kick a$$, get bonuses and bounce. I'm preparing my bounce pad too. Hopefully you fellow non-scholar peasants are smart and capable enough to follow this trajectory too. Else accept your fate and draw that sweet paycheck every month, waiting for a GenZ scholar takes charge of your appraisal LOL.
I believe I know who you're talking about, and I had the misfortune to work with her in MCI. Yet another scholar given supervisory responsibilities too soon, but whose idea of supervision was just chasing for deadlines. Her ignorance was shown by planting endless questions in drafts which she, having already been in MCI for a few years, should have known. No guidance or sharing of knowledge whatsoever, and if you're new to the work, you would have no choice but to ask IMDA (and she won't even tell you which division to approach, which can lead to a wild goose chase as different divisions look at different aspects of one area).

As if this wasn't bad enough, in interactions she was terse at best, and rude at worst - this could have been forgiven if it was just a case of an unpolished personality, but she certainly knew how to put on a smile and turn on the charm for those above her.

Hope the team under her in IMDA isn't doing too badly, but I wouldn't be too optimistic. My advice is to stand your ground, be firm, and not be intimidated by the rudeness, because she doesn't speak with the authority of any real knowledge or substance.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 20-08-2023, 12:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
LOL! This just made my day. All the bad deeds of June Koh are coming to the fore. I am honestly not surprised, having known her and the way she works. In all my years at IMDA, I have not heard anything positive about her from the people she worked with.

If AO and DT read this, I hope they do something about Spencer Chua to alleviate the suffering of his colleagues who are most definitely demoralised/traumatised by this individual. If you cannot even manage your own staff well, how can you expect to help with the tech manpower at the national level?

Thank you to the other poster for sharing your experience with what is yet another dreadful injustice taking place at human capital. You must have witnessed many atrocities and feel like you have to let it out. Please know that you are not alone and the moral arch will always favour the truth. These "small" people like June Koh cannot hope to cover up their misdeeds with lies (both on and off the forum) forever, and incompetent and sycophantic individuals like Spencer will also be exposed eventually. I would suggest a whistleblowing culture (which is practised at other established companies), if only internally within your department. You can simply send an anonymous email to share the truth about what you and your colleagues have experienced, first to your HOD and later escalate it up the chain of command if nothing is done.
Tbh, I’m surprised it took so long for June Koh’s actions to be highlighted. She was a bully and the most toxic boss I ever had. She shows favoritism to the selected few who would gossip with her. There is even one who faithfully goes to her office daily at a specific time to share about other colleagues. The guy is a slacker and not a team player and yet she gave him an excellent rating.

She gaslights her staff a lot and screams at them if she isn’t happy with them. During after office hours and weekends, she still expects them to reply her WA messages at her beck and call but if they were to “chase” her for urgent approval during her non-working hours, she would blast at them. It’s like walking on eggshells every day when I’m working there.

Before I joined HCC, I was confident and doing well in my previous organisation. I joined IMDA because I thought it would be meaningful to contribute to the Infocomm sector in a different way. But it was the worst decision I’ve made. During my time there, the toxic environment perpetuated by the bosses and some colleagues made me lose my confidence. Every time before I send out any email, I would second guess myself because you never know when the next round of scolding or sarcastic remarks would come. It’s easier to tell me to learn to ignore the comments. But if you face them on a daily basis, it takes a toll physically and emotionally. When I left HCC, I was at the lowest point in confidence and self esteem.

I’m doing well in my current organisation and my bosses appreciate me and recognise my capability. It just proved to me that I was not as stupid or incapable as JK had made me feel.

Old 20-08-2023, 01:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Tbh, I’m surprised it took so long for June Koh’s actions to be highlighted. She was a bully and the most toxic boss I ever had. She shows favoritism to the selected few who would gossip with her. There is even one who faithfully goes to her office daily at a specific time to share about other colleagues. The guy is a slacker and not a team player and yet she gave him an excellent rating.

She gaslights her staff a lot and screams at them if she isn’t happy with them. During after office hours and weekends, she still expects them to reply her WA messages at her beck and call but if they were to “chase” her for urgent approval during her non-working hours, she would blast at them. It’s like walking on eggshells every day when I’m working there.

Before I joined HCC, I was confident and doing well in my previous organisation. I joined IMDA because I thought it would be meaningful to contribute to the Infocomm sector in a different way. But it was the worst decision I’ve made. During my time there, the toxic environment perpetuated by the bosses and some colleagues made me lose my confidence. Every time before I send out any email, I would second guess myself because you never know when the next round of scolding or sarcastic remarks would come. It’s easier to tell me to learn to ignore the comments. But if you face them on a daily basis, it takes a toll physically and emotionally. When I left HCC, I was at the lowest point in confidence and self esteem.

I’m doing well in my current organisation and my bosses appreciate me and recognise my capability. It just proved to me that I was not as stupid or incapable as JK had made me feel.
another thing to confirm. confirm u are more chio then her, thats why the treatment ...
Old 20-08-2023, 02:11 PM
Unregistered

Anyone knows how the Principal Consultant Jeffrey Ho’s case kena baotoh? Like who and how?
Old 20-08-2023, 03:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

my goodness, reading every one of these anecdotes about working under JK sends shivers down my spine because it's just unfathomable how badly she treated everyone under/around her except for her loyal cadres. Happy to hear you are in a better place now, far away from all this toxic rubbish! Never let someone like JK shatter your self-esteem, confidence and capabilities. You are much more than what she made you think you are. I hope she won't bring her "own people" to her new place and start this kind of toxic nonsense also.

Old 20-08-2023, 08:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Wah .... from reading through this thread, it seems like IMDA is a very terok place to work at sia...

basket, was thinking of applying to some Tech. Research Analyst role (Tech. Incubation) at IMDA, any thoughts about that?

I think quite clear la tbh the general ground sentiments at IMDA lol.
lolzzz same here man.

after reading thru, i decided sua lah i'm not gonna apply to this place, really sound like a toilet bowl sia like what others said.
Old 20-08-2023, 09:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
s://sg.linkedin.com/in/spencer-chua-6b852a2b

wo this spencer dude really power sia

NS award received during reservist also need to publish on linkedin

needless to say, must be a wayang king in camp
Hear say he kp that his pay damn low in his previous org and demanded for high pay when he joined. He also told his prev org ppl and a lot wanted to come over for a huge pay jump despite it not being “allowed” under some govt to Govt movement. His suck up skills really solid. Very seldom see someone progress so fast. What contribution did he make?
Old 20-08-2023, 09:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Anyone knows how the Principal Consultant Jeffrey Ho’s case kena baotoh? Like who and how?
What’s the beef?
Old 20-08-2023, 09:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hear say he kp that his pay damn low in his previous org and demanded for high pay when he joined. He also told his prev org ppl and a lot wanted to come over for a huge pay jump despite it not being “allowed” under some govt to Govt movement. His suck up skills really solid. Very seldom see someone progress so fast. What contribution did he make?
he seems damn greasy sia