Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - IMDA (under MCI)
View Single Post
Old 20-08-2023, 10:39 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you join IMDA but you are not a scholar maybe stay for 2-3 years at most. Here's what is happening in my department. A scholar just parachuted in from MCI. She's 33 and already Assistant Director. She joined in Feb, and since then has already staffed the Director and the Assistant Chief Executive for biz trips. She has been chosen to staff the Chief Executive next. Meanwhile non scholars like me have to beg for legitimate conferences, declined all times so far, and instead asked to choose conferences which are virtual. Ok so biz trip envy? Not quite. The creme de la scholar has been given a fully, choose as you please, hybrid work arrangement. We're all in the same team by the way, and are reminded often to stay the 9 hours and not "abuse" the hybrid arrangement. As a result, hires from industry come, kick a$$, get bonuses and bounce. I'm preparing my bounce pad too. Hopefully you fellow non-scholar peasants are smart and capable enough to follow this trajectory too. Else accept your fate and draw that sweet paycheck every month, waiting for a GenZ scholar takes charge of your appraisal LOL.
I believe I know who you're talking about, and I had the misfortune to work with her in MCI. Yet another scholar given supervisory responsibilities too soon, but whose idea of supervision was just chasing for deadlines. Her ignorance was shown by planting endless questions in drafts which she, having already been in MCI for a few years, should have known. No guidance or sharing of knowledge whatsoever, and if you're new to the work, you would have no choice but to ask IMDA (and she won't even tell you which division to approach, which can lead to a wild goose chase as different divisions look at different aspects of one area).

As if this wasn't bad enough, in interactions she was terse at best, and rude at worst - this could have been forgiven if it was just a case of an unpolished personality, but she certainly knew how to put on a smile and turn on the charm for those above her.

Hope the team under her in IMDA isn't doing too badly, but I wouldn't be too optimistic. My advice is to stand your ground, be firm, and not be intimidated by the rudeness, because she doesn't speak with the authority of any real knowledge or substance.