Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Really that bad for engineers?

Old 28-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Unregistered

Default medicine entagate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I started in hp in 1999, retrenched in 2003, rehired as temp contractor in motorola, then got a process engineer role in a jap factory plant in 2005, pay was not more than 3k then.
At that time, i got into nus financial engineering masters course, got into a bank as credit analytics for basel implementation, now i join another foreign bank as a credit trader managing bank retained credit, total compensation is 250k this year.
I am not trying to show off but to tell my engineering bros not to give up, and be brave to venture uncharted waters, you will be rewarded much better than your current role
you must have 1st class honors or at least 2 upper gpa close to first. think so many like you.

Old 28-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I started in hp in 1999, retrenched in 2003, rehired as temp contractor in motorola, then got a process engineer role in a jap factory plant in 2005, pay was not more than 3k then.
At that time, i got into nus financial engineering masters course, got into a bank as credit analytics for basel implementation, now i join another foreign bank as a credit trader managing bank retained credit, total compensation is 250k this year.
I am not trying to show off but to tell my engineering bros not to give up, and be brave to venture uncharted waters, you will be rewarded much better than your current role
there are smart alex who keep on telling miracles over miracles trying to mis-inform us to "work hard". I am here wake everyone up. I am not interested about 1-2% who could pull off feats.

I am only interested in giving the general trueful picture, what most engineers are facing. The answer is "we are screwed".

Old 28-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
there are smart alex who keep on telling miracles over miracles trying to mis-inform us to "work hard". I am here wake everyone up. I am not interested about 1-2% who could pull off feats.

I am only interested in giving the general trueful picture, what most engineers are facing. The answer is "we are screwed".
It's the same everywhere. No company would like an lazy employee.

I agree that most engineers "are screwed", not now but in the near future. It's only the 1-2% that will become more and more valuable because of the decreasing number of qualified engineers. No way out of it for the remaining engineers, unless one chooses to change profession or work smart and join the top 1-2%.

With better local degree programs like those in partnership with MIT and Stanford, us normal older generation engineers will be screwed even faster. Awesome.

Old 28-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
It's the same everywhere. No company would like an lazy employee.

I agree that most engineers "are screwed", not now but in the near future. It's only the 1-2% that will become more and more valuable because of the decreasing number of qualified engineers. No way out of it for the remaining engineers, unless one chooses to change profession or work smart and join the top 1-2%.

With better local degree programs like those in partnership with MIT and Stanford, us normal older generation engineers will be screwed even faster. Awesome.
I think most would have better chance striking toto and 4d than joining top 1-2%. my junior told me 80% of ntu grad cannot find engineering job. nowadays finding even the most wretch technical position is as good as striking lottery.

That does not prevent newspaper for blasting employment good starting salary high....bla bla. maybe 100% of ntu grad can apply for stanford and mit ...

hahaha
Old 28-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
This thread is getting way too negative about engineers.

In any profession, there will always be those that do exceptionally well, a majority who are average, and also those that don't do well.

Story #1. My relative is an engineer who started his career with an oil and gas MNC in the 70s. Now, he is a multimillionaire with many properties, all rented out and fully paid for. He is enjoying a happy retirement with golf and leisure activities.

Ongoing story #2. Another relative is an engineer with an MNC. Excellent work life balance (far better than mine), although not exceptionally well paid (5k/mth, no bonus). In my opinion he is underpaid for his talent, but well, this is Singapore and not the US.

Ongoing story #3. I am also an engineer, but in the public sector. Work life balance is not excellent (OT until 7 or 8 every day, bring work home to do on weekends). In my early 30s, after bonus income can add up to >80k/yr. I have excellent job security and never worry overly about the future.

Sad story. Another relative who was an engineer in the manufacturing industry endured 2 retrenchments in 5 yrs, was unemployed for almost a year, and is now not doing any engineering work, but employed in something unrelated to his training.

Probably, the key factor influencing the outcome is the type of engineering industry. Oil and gas is excellent, manufacturing not so. Public sector employment is very stable, private sector somewhat less.
#1: The rich engineer relative. During a recent gathering he mentioned his stocks from his company... he had forgotten about them, and now the price has gone up, he is thinking of selling

#2: This lucky guy is still enjoying his work life balance, playing computer games nights and weekends ... but he earns less than me.

#3: Me, I am still working OT nights and weekends... Too busy to enjoy life.

The sad story engineer became even more sad, the latest I heard he got an auto immune disease.
Old 29-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

This is the classic victim mentality - keep complaining, full of negativity, all gloom and doom.
If your mindset is this warped, no one can help you. Better save my breath.

Old 29-01-2012, 10:52 AM

Anonymous is on a distinguished road

Quote:
agree. this is an example of someone who bothers and manages to find a way out of a tough situation. good for u! many others here just whine about things. i also have another friend who did the nus mfe course in the mid 2000s on a part time basis and switched careers from semicon engrg to finance. she's currently based in jpmorgan, hk. i don't know exactly how much she earns, but im pretty sure it's a comfortable figure.

moral of the story is this: if you're really a talented engineer (graduating with a engineering degree does not automatically mean u are a talented) and managed to land a well paying job, thats good. if you're not that lucky and have the drive/ability to make a change, go for it. complaining doesnt help.
Old 29-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
agree. this is an example of someone who bothers and manages to find a way out of a tough situation. good for u! many others here just whine about things. i also have another friend who did the nus mfe course in the mid 2000s on a part time basis and switched careers from semicon engrg to finance. she's currently based in jpmorgan, hk. i don't know exactly how much she earns, but im pretty sure it's a comfortable figure.

moral of the story is this: if you're really a talented engineer (graduating with a engineering degree does not automatically mean u are a talented) and managed to land a well paying job, thats good. if you're not that lucky and have the drive/ability to make a change, go for it. complaining doesnt help.
yawn zzzzz.... suddenly everyone talk about mid career switch to finance....
Old 29-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post

to those stupid engineers, you go eat shix. i am a shix collector now billionaire, so dont complaint, so long as u "willing" workhard, take the risk and listen to whatever bullshix i given u, u will make $$$$$.... hahaha...... so funny
Old 29-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
to those stupid engineers, you go eat shix. i am a shix collector now billionaire, so dont complaint, so long as u "willing" workhard, take the risk and listen to whatever bullshix i given u, u will make $$$$$.... hahaha...... so funny
U a billionaire??!! Yah right, ... i think you everyday eat "shix".. that's why you've gone mad... and to quote the words of our make-believe billionaire : "hahaha...... so funny"