Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Really that bad for engineers?
View Single Post
Old 28-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This thread is getting way too negative about engineers.

In any profession, there will always be those that do exceptionally well, a majority who are average, and also those that don't do well.

Story #1. My relative is an engineer who started his career with an oil and gas MNC in the 70s. Now, he is a multimillionaire with many properties, all rented out and fully paid for. He is enjoying a happy retirement with golf and leisure activities.

Ongoing story #2. Another relative is an engineer with an MNC. Excellent work life balance (far better than mine), although not exceptionally well paid (5k/mth, no bonus). In my opinion he is underpaid for his talent, but well, this is Singapore and not the US.

Ongoing story #3. I am also an engineer, but in the public sector. Work life balance is not excellent (OT until 7 or 8 every day, bring work home to do on weekends). In my early 30s, after bonus income can add up to >80k/yr. I have excellent job security and never worry overly about the future.

Sad story. Another relative who was an engineer in the manufacturing industry endured 2 retrenchments in 5 yrs, was unemployed for almost a year, and is now not doing any engineering work, but employed in something unrelated to his training.

Probably, the key factor influencing the outcome is the type of engineering industry. Oil and gas is excellent, manufacturing not so. Public sector employment is very stable, private sector somewhat less.
#1: The rich engineer relative. During a recent gathering he mentioned his stocks from his company... he had forgotten about them, and now the price has gone up, he is thinking of selling

#2: This lucky guy is still enjoying his work life balance, playing computer games nights and weekends ... but he earns less than me.

#3: Me, I am still working OT nights and weekends... Too busy to enjoy life.

The sad story engineer became even more sad, the latest I heard he got an auto immune disease.