How much are you earning per annum? - Page 385 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How much are you earning per annum?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #3841 (permalink)  
Old 27-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I'm 46 this year and earning $104k pa. My wife is a housewife who takes care of our two kids and do the housework. Even though she does not earn a salary for being a home maker, I value her work. I just tell her that her work is valued at $100k pa and that makes her happy because I appreciate her.

We started off with a HDB flat, bought directly from HDB at a very cheap price. After many years, I finished paying the loan. Then, in 2006, I found a very good condo deal and upgraded to the condo which we bought at $500k. We sold our HDB flat and got lots of cash and plus our savings, we paid for the condo in full. Now the condo is worth $1.3m. We are very lucky, we started off with a cheap HDB flat and now our net wrorth is more than $1m because my condo has appreciated.

I save a lot in my early working years because I use the bus and MRT to work. I also don't party after work as I am a faithful family man.

Reply With Quote
  #3842 (permalink)  
Old 27-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Lower middle income family, mid-50s, annual family income $160k pa.

Staying in an old condo which we bought for $400k in 2003, now worth $1m, no more mortgage.

When we retire at 65, we plan to sell the condo and buy a 2 room BTO flat, which cost only $10,000 (after grants), as reported in the news. By then, we are not working and has no income, so we should qualify for grants to buy the flat. We will then retire with the $1m cash after selling the condo.

Reply With Quote
  #3843 (permalink)  
Old 27-03-2014, 11:09 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Lower middle income family, mid-50s, annual family income $160k pa.

Staying in an old condo which we bought for $400k in 2003, now worth $1m, no more mortgage.

When we retire at 65, we plan to sell the condo and buy a 2 room BTO flat, which cost only $10,000 (after grants), as reported in the news. By then, we are not working and has no income, so we should qualify for grants to buy the flat. We will then retire with the $1m cash after selling the condo.

STOP SAYING LOWER MIDDLE INCOME.
YOU HAVE $160k PA.

THAT IS NOW LOWER MIDDLE. IT IS DEFINITELY HIGHER THAN A LOWER.
JUST PUT MIDDLE INCOME GROUP.

HOW MANY STRATA DOES SINGAPORE HAS?
LOWER INCOME < 100k
MIDDLE INCOME < 200k
UPPER INCOME > 200k

Reply With Quote
  #3844 (permalink)  
Old 28-03-2014, 07:56 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

There is no official definition / delineation of income classes here.*

It is all about who you compare with. If you come to this forum and read the many posters' high incomes ($300k - $700k pa) then obviously the $160k pa your family earns is going to place it as a lower middle income family.

This is a phenomenon observed in many social studies especially in big cities. People of similar income class tended to congregate / live in the same neighborhood. And this leads the people to think and feel they are middle class even though they may be earning very little (if they are staying in a poor neighborhood) or they may be earning a lot (if they are staying in rich neighborhood). *They look at their neighbors and see that they have similar material possessions and conclude that they must thus be average or middle class.*

Even though Singapore is a much smaller city, this phenomenon does exist. Condo dwellers tend to think they are middle income as they see their neighbors both in their own condos and neiighbouring condos having pretty much the same material possessions - cars, maids, country club membership etc. likewise for those staying in HDB heartlands and fully landed property enclaves.

So you should not be surprised if a guy earning $500k pa living in a landed property enclave declare that he is a middle income guy. This is because he is comparing with fellow high income neighbours (businessmen or highly paid professionals).

One end result of this phenomenon is that the rich tended to overestimate the income of the poor, while the poor tended to underestimate the income of the rich! What this is saying is that the poor guy will think the rich guy is perhaps earning $10k - $50k pa more than him when in fact the rich could be actually earning a few hundred $k more!

But with the Internet and with people more willing to share their income openly, this skewed impression would be corrected. In the beginning of course, you will have reactions of disbelief and denials. You will also see people coming forward with outlandish claims - part of the denial process. Then come self deprecating claims of being poor/low income - part of the acceptance process.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
STOP SAYING LOWER MIDDLE INCOME.
YOU HAVE $160k PA.

THAT IS NOW LOWER MIDDLE. IT IS DEFINITELY HIGHER THAN A LOWER.
JUST PUT MIDDLE INCOME GROUP.

HOW MANY STRATA DOES SINGAPORE HAS?
LOWER INCOME < 100k
MIDDLE INCOME < 200k
UPPER INCOME > 200k


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #3845 (permalink)  
Old 28-03-2014, 08:48 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Lower middle income family, mid-50s, annual family income $160k pa.

Staying in an old condo which we bought for $400k in 2003, now worth $1m, no more mortgage.

When we retire at 65, we plan to sell the condo and buy a 2 room BTO flat, which cost only $10,000 (after grants), as reported in the news. By then, we are not working and has no income, so we should qualify for grants to buy the flat. We will then retire with the $1m cash after selling the condo.
sad to say but people like you are abusing the $10,000 flats. they are for really low income earners, not for people like you..
Reply With Quote
  #3846 (permalink)  
Old 28-03-2014, 09:27 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
sad to say but people like you are abusing the $10,000 flats. they are for really low income earners, not for people like you..
This is a good observation. There are many people abusing the system. There are people who are rich, e.g. earning $700k pa, but they still insist on staying in a HDB flat and enjoying the utilities rebates meant for the lower income. There are people who still own a HDB flat (and they rent it out) while the enjoy staying in a luxury condo. This is a big loophole in the current housing policy.

People who own private property today cannot buy a HDB flat unless they sell away their HDB flat within 6 months, whereas those who currently own a HDB flat can keep their flat and rent it out while they buy a condo and stay in the condo. HDB flats are for the lower income groups in society and should not be abused and hoarded by the rich and higher income groups. This housing loophole need to be corrected. There are people with multiple private properties and are multi millionaires but they still keep their HDB flat. Shame on them.
Reply With Quote

  #3847 (permalink)  
Old 28-03-2014, 10:20 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is a good observation. There are many people abusing the system. There are people who are rich, e.g. earning $700k pa, but they still insist on staying in a HDB flat and enjoying the utilities rebates meant for the lower income. There are people who still own a HDB flat (and they rent it out) while the enjoy staying in a luxury condo. This is a big loophole in the current housing policy.

People who own private property today cannot buy a HDB flat unless they sell away their HDB flat within 6 months, whereas those who currently own a HDB flat can keep their flat and rent it out while they buy a condo and stay in the condo. HDB flats are for the lower income groups in society and should not be abused and hoarded by the rich and higher income groups. This housing loophole need to be corrected. There are people with multiple private properties and are multi millionaires but they still keep their HDB flat. Shame on them.
this is not a loophole. it's fair game for all to use HDB as a stepping stone, with or without giving up on the stepping stone. you will perhaps do it one day too, but don't cry unfair when they close this "loophole" just before you do it.

speaking of fair game, how about the foreigners who come here and enjoy everything the government is doing for them - $350m every year for foreign students, PR privileges that are almost the same as citizens', mainstream media incessantly saying that foreigners create jobs and that we badly need them, politicians defending foreigners, foreigners hiring their own kind in MNCs, etc etc. fair game too?
Reply With Quote
  #3848 (permalink)  
Old 28-03-2014, 10:27 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
In this world, there are basic needs and there are wants. The large majority of people is able to fulfil their needs. Then they desire wants. They are not happy with cheap BTO flat, they want to live in a condo. While there is nothing wrong to desire a condo, it must be within your ability. You must be able to afford it without sacrificing on your morality, integrity and responsibilities towards your parents and children. If you strive to earn more by cheating, back stabbing, lying, ignoring your children, not giving allowance to your parents, etc, then it is bad and sinful.

We all work hard to gain more possessions of this world, but don't forget that when you die all the wealth will not go to the grave with you. What is most important is whether you are a true believer or whether you associate Him with others. Do you worship Him only or do you worship His Creations and others? Remember - He has no parents. He has no son and no children. He is The One and Only Creator. He is The Greatest.
While we are busy comparing how much we make in this world, we should reflect on our human existence in this temporary world.

This is a good reminder for all humanity - ://.youtube.com/watch?v=kE7t6wnfx0E
Reply With Quote
  #3849 (permalink)  
Old 28-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I agree it is a loophole. A good policy should be balanced and not one-sided. This loophold will be plugged soon I hope.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
this is not a loophole. it's fair game for all to use HDB as a stepping stone, with or without giving up on the stepping stone. you will perhaps do it one day too, but don't cry unfair when they close this "loophole" just before you do it.

speaking of fair game, how about the foreigners who come here and enjoy everything the government is doing for them - $350m every year for foreign students, PR privileges that are almost the same as citizens', mainstream media incessantly saying that foreigners create jobs and that we badly need them, politicians defending foreigners, foreigners hiring their own kind in MNCs, etc etc. fair game too?
Reply With Quote
  #3850 (permalink)  
Old 28-03-2014, 07:20 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi, my spouse and I are also a low middle income family. We are in our mid 40s and we earn an annual income of only $150k pa. We also live in a condo, valued by professionals at $1.2m, no more loan. We have a combined cash and CPF savings of only $1m. Plus other assets, our total net worth is only $2.5m, very low for a couple in their 40s.

Our retirement plan is to sell our condo and then buy the BTO HDB flat for the elderly, costing $100k now. Hope the price will not rise too much by the time we retire at 60.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Lower middle income family, mid-50s, annual family income $160k pa.

Staying in an old condo which we bought for $400k in 2003, now worth $1m, no more mortgage.

When we retire at 65, we plan to sell the condo and buy a 2 room BTO flat, which cost only $10,000 (after grants), as reported in the news. By then, we are not working and has no income, so we should qualify for grants to buy the flat. We will then retire with the $1m cash after selling the condo.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bond, bond breaking, income pa, lawyer, saf

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Industries with Highest Proportion Earning 5-Figure Monthly Income Salary.sg Income and Jobs 25 23-04-2021 10:40 PM
Lawyer earning $25k/mth forged $65k payslip to get job Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 30-12-2011 02:42 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,647 Replies, 1,495,239 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,974 Replies, 2,097,050 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,692 Replies, 4,859,081 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,751 Replies, 1,355,637 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,203 Replies, 3,329,506 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,266 Replies, 741,144 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
314 Replies, 309,659 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
702 Replies, 387,090 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,257 Replies, 6,390,719 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
460 Replies, 258,031 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,071 Replies, 2,245,826 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,297 Replies, 985,278 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
108 Replies, 73,273 Views
Visa Internship
3 Replies, 4,275 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
419 Replies, 711,873 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,258 Replies, 12,295,998 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
885 Replies, 484,237 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
635 Replies, 321,785 Views
Company deduct air ticket from...
0 Replies, 167 Views
Anyone work in JPM/GS/Morgan... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
415 Replies, 156,445 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,759 Replies, 1,013,382 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
20,885 Replies, 10,194,264 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,756 Replies, 1,475,100 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,027 Replies, 425,227 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,197 Replies, 445,864 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,396 Replies, 1,342,695 Views
A*Star (Agency for Science,... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
38 Replies, 97,604 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,077 Replies, 3,677,599 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,781 Replies, 4,579,763 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
298 Replies, 355,134 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 03:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2