Lawyer Salary - Page 1833 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #18321 (permalink)  
Old 23-11-2022, 02:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wah you got first class and in small firm? Either the firm is not that small or competition is really stiff.

Anyway, 4.5-5 is not THAT below market average. Thought you were talking abt 2-3k hahaha.

As others have suggested, why not put your “free” time to good use such as sending out applications? But make sure really no work so that you’re not shirking duties la haha.
To OP.

I've been a small firm lawyer all my life so i can understand a little bit of what you are feeling.

My advice is this: do something, anything and everything. Go and give lectures, sign up to be a panel solicitor with LAB, or a CLAS lawyer if you are into crim. Volunteer at free legal advice clinics, esp. those with MPSs. If you come from the kind of family where this is possible, leverage your connections. If you are brave enough, social media marketing.

Essentially, become your own rainmaker.

Once you have your own book, you will realize that life as a small firm lawyer becomes much easier.

Also: Continuously upskill. Make sure you are in the know of all recent updates in your specialisation area. Make sure you can have in-depth conversation with your peers in the same specialisation area. Make sure when people come to you for "friendly conversation" you are able to impress upon them that you are an expert in this area. Go for lectures. Go take the neccesary courses to be an SMC accredited mediator. Aim for accreditation (if applicable).

One of the upsides of being a small firm lawyer is that your fate is quite literally in your own hands.

Reply With Quote
  #18322 (permalink)  
Old 23-11-2022, 06:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

My advice is this: do something, anything and everything.

Continuously upskill. Make sure you are in the know of all recent updates in your specialisation area. Make sure you can have in-depth conversation with your peers in the same specialisation area. Make sure when people come to you for "friendly conversation" you are able to impress upon them that you are an expert in this area. Go for lectures. … Aim for accreditation (if applicable).
Not OP but this is v inspiring n applicable to many… thanks learned frens



Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #18323 (permalink)  
Old 23-11-2022, 07:41 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
To OP.

I've been a small firm lawyer all my life so i can understand a little bit of what you are feeling.

My advice is this: do something, anything and everything. Go and give lectures, sign up to be a panel solicitor with LAB, or a CLAS lawyer if you are into crim. Volunteer at free legal advice clinics, esp. those with MPSs. If you come from the kind of family where this is possible, leverage your connections. If you are brave enough, social media marketing.

Essentially, become your own rainmaker.

Once you have your own book, you will realize that life as a small firm lawyer becomes much easier.

Also: Continuously upskill. Make sure you are in the know of all recent updates in your specialisation area. Make sure you can have in-depth conversation with your peers in the same specialisation area. Make sure when people come to you for "friendly conversation" you are able to impress upon them that you are an expert in this area. Go for lectures. Go take the neccesary courses to be an SMC accredited mediator. Aim for accreditation (if applicable).

One of the upsides of being a small firm lawyer is that your fate is quite literally in your own hands.
Agree with this.

To add on two points: -

1. Do what you like, whether it is criminal, family, construction, maritime, corporate, etc. Don't do corporate because of the money. Legal practice is very vigorous (think long hours of work with at best 4-5 hours of sleep everyday) and you will be burned out fast if you don't have the interest. This is one of the reasons why many young lawyers are quitting. They follow corporate because of the money but realize that they have zero interest in it and eventually, the fatigue sets in.

2. Client management is very essential. Singaporeans are too nice. Learn to cut off rubbish clients or give them the "cold treatment" especially for those who are slow (or worse, act blur) in paying your legal fees. These clients aren't worth your time and the money you can get from them is minimal. There are many of this kind around shopping around and trying to extract free legal advice without paying.

Reply With Quote
  #18324 (permalink)  
Old 23-11-2022, 07:51 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Agree with this.

To add on two points: -

1. Do what you like, whether it is criminal, family, construction, maritime, corporate, etc. Don't do corporate because of the money. Legal practice is very vigorous (think long hours of work with at best 4-5 hours of sleep everyday) and you will be burned out fast if you don't have the interest. This is one of the reasons why many young lawyers are quitting. They follow corporate because of the money but realize that they have zero interest in it and eventually, the fatigue sets in.

2. Client management is very essential. Singaporeans are too nice. Learn to cut off rubbish clients or give them the "cold treatment" especially for those who are slow (or worse, act blur) in paying your legal fees. These clients aren't worth your time and the money you can get from them is minimal. There are many of this kind around shopping around and trying to extract free legal advice without paying.
It took me such a long time to understand these 2 points.
I regret a lot of my earlier years in practice.
Reply With Quote
  #18325 (permalink)  
Old 23-11-2022, 08:13 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It took me such a long time to understand these 2 points.
I regret a lot of my earlier years in practice.
Don't beat yourself over it, it is normal for many Singaporeans. We are all conditioned to follow a certain route set by our parents and we are afraid to speak up and show our displeasure.

I wager many practitioners below 5PQE are still struggling with these 2 points. You have to be gung-ho to handle rubbish clients but many Singaporeans are trained from young not to say anything unless told to.
Reply With Quote
  #18326 (permalink)  
Old 23-11-2022, 11:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

2. Client management is very essential. Singaporeans are too nice. Learn to cut off rubbish clients or give them the "cold treatment" especially for those who are slow (or worse, act blur) in paying your legal fees. These clients aren't worth your time and the money you can get from them is minimal. There are many of this kind around shopping around and trying to extract free legal advice without paying.
It may not only be about being nice or not knowing how to say no.

When it comes to the idiosyncracies and pressures of practice which only practitioners will know, sometimes the difficulty lies in deciding which point to cut them off. Same with any other manipulative person.

Not handled well, may even be gaslighted for being an unhelpful or calculative lawyer who only cares about bills.
Reply With Quote

  #18327 (permalink)  
Old 24-11-2022, 08:33 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
literal slurping?
What is slurping


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #18328 (permalink)  
Old 24-11-2022, 10:09 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Don't beat yourself over it, it is normal for many Singaporeans. We are all conditioned to follow a certain route set by our parents and we are afraid to speak up and show our displeasure.

I wager many practitioners below 5PQE are still struggling with these 2 points. You have to be gung-ho to handle rubbish clients but many Singaporeans are trained from young not to say anything unless told to.
Senpai, coffee?
Reply With Quote
  #18329 (permalink)  
Old 24-11-2022, 01:09 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I see today’s ST going in strong with the “Big 5” narrative in its feature on the “best law firms”. And a million firms humblebragging online of course.
Reply With Quote
  #18330 (permalink)  
Old 24-11-2022, 02:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Fervent best law firm

How did it happen lol
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,208 Replies, 6,355,948 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,743 Replies, 1,465,623 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,959 Replies, 2,082,700 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,740 Replies, 1,005,266 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,618 Replies, 4,829,213 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
700 Replies, 519,168 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,053 Replies, 2,231,430 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,262 Replies, 696,887 Views
Jobs with travel opportunities
6 Replies, 3,527 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,264 Replies, 734,609 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,720 Replies, 1,337,321 Views
Singapore Airlines ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 8,941 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,235 Replies, 12,260,016 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
618 Replies, 314,788 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
180 Replies, 221,592 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,066 Replies, 3,663,708 Views
ITE (lecturer) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
275 Replies, 377,258 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,983 Replies, 4,495,833 Views
Anyone work in JPM/GS/Morgan... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
413 Replies, 154,926 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,638 Replies, 1,486,740 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,770 Replies, 4,561,703 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,160 Replies, 3,308,193 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
20,862 Replies, 10,152,720 Views
Salary ranges in Big Tech in...
0 Replies, 269 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
701 Replies, 383,989 Views
Visa Graduate Development Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
203 Replies, 125,876 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
746 Replies, 382,808 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,020 Replies, 421,622 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
105 Replies, 71,966 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,238 Replies, 584,848 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2