Lawyer Salary - Page 1733 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #17321 (permalink)  
Old 22-07-2022, 10:21 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If u go to AGC you will always be subordinate to the scholars and JLCs, even if you are brighter, more productive and win more cases. They will be promoted to dept heads while you continue to get shitty work and grind the rest of your life away.
tbh is there a similar tension in big4 private practice?

you have the divide between the white horses associates (i.e. son/daughter of a rich man conglomerate, who can potentially bring business in for the firm) vs the grinder nobody who does the midnight shift/saikang

Reply With Quote
  #17322 (permalink)  
Old 22-07-2022, 04:50 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
progleis Herbert smith freehills
The managing partner looks like a Chinese Santa Klaus.

Reply With Quote
  #17323 (permalink)  
Old 22-07-2022, 05:06 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
tbh is there a similar tension in big4 private practice?

you have the divide between the white horses associates (i.e. son/daughter of a rich man conglomerate, who can potentially bring business in for the firm) vs the grinder nobody who does the midnight shift/saikang
You forgot to add that many of these sons/daughters of rich conglomerates tend to be from UK universities where they can afford to party like no tomorrow everyday and achieve a 2:2, yet they are guaranteed employment in the Big 4, boss the partners around and end work at 5pm.

While other assocs who achieve much stellar grades in local universities end up grinding behind the scenes till dawn while getting zero recognition and always at the receiving end of verbal abuse.

Life can be cruel, especially to those who didn't strike the financial lottery when they are born. That's why I never understood why local grads care so much about grades and flex on UK grads, when all that matters is your family status.

Reply With Quote
  #17324 (permalink)  
Old 22-07-2022, 05:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You forgot to add that many of these sons/daughters of rich conglomerates tend to be from UK universities where they can afford to party like no tomorrow everyday and achieve a 2:2, yet they are guaranteed employment in the Big 4, boss the partners around and end work at 5pm.

While other assocs who achieve much stellar grades in local universities end up grinding behind the scenes till dawn while getting zero recognition and always at the receiving end of verbal abuse.

Life can be cruel, especially to those who didn't strike the financial lottery when they are born. That's why I never understood why local grads care so much about grades and flex on UK grads, when all that matters is your family status.
bruh this is maybe like one in 10000 law students lmao suck up your bitterness and stop trying to blame your lack of achievement on the fact that werent born with a silver spoon in your mouth
Reply With Quote
  #17325 (permalink)  
Old 22-07-2022, 05:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You forgot to add that many of these sons/daughters of rich conglomerates tend to be from UK universities where they can afford to party like no tomorrow everyday and achieve a 2:2, yet they are guaranteed employment in the Big 4, boss the partners around and end work at 5pm.

While other assocs who achieve much stellar grades in local universities end up grinding behind the scenes till dawn while getting zero recognition and always at the receiving end of verbal abuse.

Life can be cruel, especially to those who didn't strike the financial lottery when they are born. That's why I never understood why local grads care so much about grades and flex on UK grads, when all that matters is your family status.
That is very true, but for those of us born without family background, we can only try to enter the bigger firms the hard way ma. Like if you don't have express ticket at USS, you still want to be ahead in the normal queue ma.
Reply With Quote
  #17326 (permalink)  
Old 22-07-2022, 05:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
That is very true, but for those of us born without family background, we can only try to enter the bigger firms the hard way ma. Like if you don't have express ticket at USS, you still want to be ahead in the normal queue ma.
Not the person you quoted, but there will be a time when you will ask yourself, is the grind worth it? The pitfall of being a LA in B4 is that you will never have the time to build your own book. Even if you move to another firm, you will still be subordinate to someone because you don't even have billables to begin with. Not many firms are willing to employ salaried partners, naturally they will prefer partners who can bring in businesses.
Reply With Quote

  #17327 (permalink)  
Old 22-07-2022, 07:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You forgot to add that many of these sons/daughters of rich conglomerates tend to be from UK universities where they can afford to party like no tomorrow everyday and achieve a 2:2, yet they are guaranteed employment in the Big 4, boss the partners around and end work at 5pm.

While other assocs who achieve much stellar grades in local universities end up grinding behind the scenes till dawn while getting zero recognition and always at the receiving end of verbal abuse.

Life can be cruel, especially to those who didn't strike the financial lottery when they are born. That's why I never understood why local grads care so much about grades and flex on UK grads, when all that matters is your family status.
This is some horseshit lmao. Iíve done my time in a big4 m&a practice and I have seen white horses get fired and asked to leave because theyíre absolutely shite at their work. Ultimately law is a business - if the associate cannot pull his / her weight, itís only a matter of time before it stops making business sense to keep someone like that around the office. Practice is the great equaliser because an SPA / SHA doesnít give two ****s about family background.

I honestly donít get the debate about local v overseas grads. No one cares after a few years in practice. The fact that people here talk so much about this just shows the demographic and insecurity of the commenters here. Probably largely comprising undergrads, trainees or NQs.
Reply With Quote
  #17328 (permalink)  
Old 23-07-2022, 12:22 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is some horseshit lmao. Iíve done my time in a big4 m&a practice and I have seen white horses get fired and asked to leave because theyíre absolutely shite at their work. Ultimately law is a business - if the associate cannot pull his / her weight, itís only a matter of time before it stops making business sense to keep someone like that around the office. Practice is the great equaliser because an SPA / SHA doesnít give two ****s about family background.

I honestly donít get the debate about local v overseas grads. No one cares after a few years in practice. The fact that people here talk so much about this just shows the demographic and insecurity of the commenters here. Probably largely comprising undergrads, trainees or NQs.
What about AGC? What is the equalizer? Are non elites forever disadvantaged?
Reply With Quote
  #17329 (permalink)  
Old 23-07-2022, 12:48 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What about AGC? What is the equalizer? Are non elites forever disadvantaged?
Is called CEP lor. Low CEP = gg
Reply With Quote
  #17330 (permalink)  
Old 23-07-2022, 01:47 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is some horseshit lmao. Iíve done my time in a big4 m&a practice and I have seen white horses get fired and asked to leave because theyíre absolutely shite at their work. Ultimately law is a business - if the associate cannot pull his / her weight, itís only a matter of time before it stops making business sense to keep someone like that around the office. Practice is the great equaliser because an SPA / SHA doesnít give two ****s about family background.

I honestly donít get the debate about local v overseas grads. No one cares after a few years in practice. The fact that people here talk so much about this just shows the demographic and insecurity of the commenters here. Probably largely comprising undergrads, trainees or NQs.
I second this. Likewise did my time in B4 M&A and, while white horses were not uncommon, I too have witnessed them being 'asked to leave' for performance / attitude reasons. At least one of the B4 has a policy whereby if you get a TC through connections, you cannot be retained upon qualification. Nepotism is becoming quite rare.

I have respect for ppl who make it to (equity) partner at B4; I really believe it's down to merit / your actual capabilities.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Credit Suisse ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
192 Replies, 132,459 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,058 Replies, 3,572,138 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
19,024 Replies, 8,319,869 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,552 Replies, 4,742,734 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,288 Replies, 1,117,650 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
153 Replies, 83,113 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,613 Replies, 3,737,689 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,000 Replies, 1,030,451 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,212 Replies, 544,983 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,153 Replies, 840,996 Views
Credit Suisse salary ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 23,663 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,125 Replies, 859,695 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,304 Replies, 1,065,217 Views
UBS Financial Services Industry... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
742 Replies, 305,646 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
895 Replies, 291,756 Views
merit increment in civil service ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
91 Replies, 150,985 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,894 Replies, 1,556,274 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,263 Replies, 2,948,637 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,796 Replies, 2,494,757 Views
How much yearly salary increment... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
43 Replies, 17,439 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,786 Replies, 2,487,315 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
667 Replies, 313,186 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,375 Replies, 711,924 Views
Julius Baer Graduate Program 2023
7 Replies, 1,723 Views
Schneider Electric - EGP (Grad... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
112 Replies, 73,032 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,047 Replies, 904,369 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
393 Replies, 173,980 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
544 Replies, 266,835 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,590 Replies, 1,291,749 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
304 Replies, 201,552 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2