Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Retrenchment In Singapore

Old 30-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Unregistered

elitist ashole. retrench b4 big faik har

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I wouldn't call myself strong minded, my personal take is that most people who get retrenched are OK and move on with life. The problem is that those who cannot keep making loud noise all over the place resulting in general perception that retrenchment is a very big thing. Out of those retrenched in 2003 with me, probably 80% eventually move on within 6 months.

As for personal lifestyle definitely need to cut down to basic and not splurge on luxury items. My family was supportive, we lived frugally for a short while, but by and large they took it as just a temporary down phase.

The most important thing to me is to believe in yourself and tell yourself getting rejected is part and parcel of life. Even a salesman on the street gets rejected 95% of the time. Never portray an air of desperation in job seeking by lowering salaries to absurd amounts or tell interviewers nonsense like a 40+ yr old guy is willing to do some manual hard labor. It will just scare off employers since they will just assume you suck therefore you are desperate and now making wild promises that you have no intention of keeping and will run off once new opportunity come.

The important thing is never mix around with negative attitude people and whiners. These groups start off very comforting to each other, but sooner or later they will suck out the zest in you and make you feel crappy and before you know it, will end up like one of them, i.e. complain about FT, PAP, company, useless boss, jealous with others who have done better etc. I think you can also see some of that bad attitude in some of the retrenched forumers here. Ask yourself if you are the boss running a company, will you hire any of them?

Old 30-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Unregistered

Hi, I was retrenched and happy for it. I always knew the day will come. So they brought it FTs, fine no problem. I decided to retire with my wife, we now live in Krabi, Thailand. Enjoy the peace and scenery. FTs now finance our retirement as we rent out our 5 room HDB flat for $3k a month to FTs. We use the rent to rent a house in Krabi, for food and fun. Think outside the box, beat the system. But the downside, our married kids meet us only once in 6 months.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 30-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi, I was retrenched and happy for it. I always knew the day will come. So they brought it FTs, fine no problem. I decided to retire with my wife, we now live in Krabi, Thailand. Enjoy the peace and scenery. FTs now finance our retirement as we rent out our 5 room HDB flat for $3k a month to FTs. We use the rent to rent a house in Krabi, for food and fun. Think outside the box, beat the system. But the downside, our married kids meet us only once in 6 months.
Want to talk nonsense at least do some basic homework lah. $3k gross rent end up only $2k++ net end of day.

$2k++ for 2 sinkies can enjoy retirement have fun in Krabi? During 1980s har? Somemore need to fly in/out every 90 days. One small trip to a pte hospital there will already cost you a few thousand.

You lost both your job and brain to FT isit?

Old 30-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Verified Member

Retrench SG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Want to talk nonsense at least do some basic homework lah. $3k gross rent end up only $2k++ net end of day.

$2k++ for 2 sinkies can enjoy retirement have fun in Krabi? During 1980s har? Somemore need to fly in/out every 90 days. One small trip to a pte hospital there will already cost you a few thousand.

Wow you sounds negative (I presume you are the same fellow who posts all the negative remarks earlier....) so did you get retrenched before? Seems to me you got bully by FT so now you r bitter against them....

Anyway dont need to go down to name calling....it only goes to show your immaturity...

Ppl have taken the initiative to share their experiences and we should appreciate it.

How about you? Besides posting negative stuff, what did u contribute? Dont blame FT for taking your job, blame yourself for being bitter and I guess a negative life suit u just what the other forummers say earlier, dont mix with these kind of negative ppl, they sucks the zest out of u
Old 30-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Unregistered

Default Retrenchment taboo??

I dont understand how this thread is progressively turning more and more negative and redundent.

I think the original idea of the thread starter simply wants us to share the experiences about retrenchment and how we have moved on from there. It is a reasonable idea and i think it can be potentially give support to the readers out there who had experienced the same situation.

i had been retrenched a year ago and as much as i hate admitting that, i took a huge blow and i started doubting my work capability. the fact that i was only 25 soften the blow slightly and i have time to train and upgrade my skills to be more valuable.
Looking back, if this thread has been around to give me hope, it would have encourage me and i will not be as depressed.

Please stop casting negativity here, we dont need more people to jeer and look down upon people with unforseen circumstances. for those who are laughing right now, i hope you know that what goes around comes around.
Old 30-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

It is a net rental, anyway not much difference between gross and net, our mortgage fully paid and our tenants pay the utilities, maintenance, etc.

We keep ourselves fit by exercising regularly and we have insurance.

With budget airlines, not much issue going back once in a while.

Old 30-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
I dont understand how this thread is progressively turning more and more negative and redundent.

I think the original idea of the thread starter simply wants us to share the experiences about retrenchment and how we have moved on from there. It is a reasonable idea and i think it can be potentially give support to the readers out there who had experienced the same situation.

i had been retrenched a year ago and as much as i hate admitting that, i took a huge blow and i started doubting my work capability. the fact that i was only 25 soften the blow slightly and i have time to train and upgrade my skills to be more valuable.
Looking back, if this thread has been around to give me hope, it would have encourage me and i will not be as depressed.

Please stop casting negativity here, we dont need more people to jeer and look down upon people with unforseen circumstances. for those who are laughing right now, i hope you know that what goes around comes around.
Thank you for your support sir. FYI THIS IS NOT MY CLONE in case some of you start pointing the finger around..

To tell you the truth, I actually created a forum to discuss this on the internet and I am trying to gather experiences, opinions and advices so that I can share this on the other forum.. if you are interested, google retrenchment in singapore

I am doing this not for money or for some school project...I am doing this because I believe in sharing and caring. I am not trying to be noble or trying to be some elite **** that you talk about. I am just doing my tiny part for the society because I seen too many ppl getting retrenched and they fell into depression (go to other forums, you will see what I mean). Not all ppl are created equal, some r weak and some are strong, for those who are strong, pls spare a thought for others....

Btw if you feel what I am doing is nonsense, crap, worthless junk etc by all means PLEASE DONT COMMENT. U WILL ONLY AFFECT THE PARTICIPATION LEVEL IN HERE.

If you feel bitter or negative, AT the very LEAST, post your negative experiences not comments pls. Be gracious pls dont be such a sore loser, it only goes to show your immaturity
Old 30-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Unregistered

All those people here who say until retrenchment is very easy and just find another job are obviously trolls who never get retrenched before.

Go to Support Site for The Unemployed & Underemployed|Support Site for The Unemployed & Underemployed and read up more about what it means to be retrenched. The greedy companies and shareholders is screwing us left right centre and some here still say we are not suppose to sound angry negative and continue smiling to get screwed more.

The company exploit staff and betray them at the end and they are suppose to be positive and move on. SMLJ logic is that?
Old 30-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrench SG View Post
Thank you for your support sir. FYI THIS IS NOT MY CLONE in case some of you start pointing the finger around..

To tell you the truth, I actually created a forum to discuss this on the internet and I am trying to gather experiences, opinions and advices so that I can share this on the other forum.. if you are interested, google retrenchment in singapore

I am doing this not for money or for some school project...I am doing this because I believe in sharing and caring. I am not trying to be noble or trying to be some elite **** that you talk about. I am just doing my tiny part for the society because I seen too many ppl getting retrenched and they fell into depression (go to other forums, you will see what I mean). Not all ppl are created equal, some r weak and some are strong, for those who are strong, pls spare a thought for others....

Btw if you feel what I am doing is nonsense, crap, worthless junk etc by all means PLEASE DONT COMMENT. U WILL ONLY AFFECT THE PARTICIPATION LEVEL IN HERE.

If you feel bitter or negative, AT the very LEAST, post your negative experiences not comments pls. Be gracious pls dont be such a sore loser, it only goes to show your immaturity
Your insincerity is glaring. You claimed to be soliciting views, opinions and caring and whatever nonsense you spout but when some posters shared bitterness and angry feelings about being retrenched, you made judgement against them.

Get off your high horse!

People do have families to feed, parents to care for, and to lose a job through no fault of theirs is a huge blow. They dont need your judgement!

How old are you? 16 ? Better wake up your idea
Old 30-05-2013, 02:01 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Your insincerity is glaring. You claimed to be soliciting views, opinions and caring and whatever nonsense you spout but when some posters shared bitterness and angry feelings about being retrenched, you made judgement against them.

Get off your high horse!

People do have families to feed, parents to care for, and to lose a job through no fault of theirs is a huge blow. They dont need your judgement!

How old are you? 16 ? Better wake up your idea
I made judgement against other ppl? Did you even take a good look at the threads? FYI did you ever see me judging those ppl who shared their views. I only ask them not to continue their name calling coz ppl are just sharing their views and we should appreciate it.

Oh now suddenly u say ppl have families to feed, parents to care for blah blah blah and huge blow and my god suddenly u change tone and trying to b an angel here and pushing the blame onto me saying that i made judgement on them and continue with your so called name calling that I am a 16 year old and wake up my idea while u sound like u r trying to sympatize with those who r retrenched b4?

Wow u sure sounds brilliant when it comes to the blaming strategy. Anyway I got nothing more to add coz it sure looks disappointing from the way things r going...

Anyway time for me to stop commenting so much since there a lot of trolls here which r out to destroy whatever they see get into their way or just create disturbance for the sake of fun.

Lastly for those interested in discussing more retrenchment issues, again pls google retrenchment in singapore. The website is triple w(dot)retrenchmentinsingapore(dot)sg

FYI, take a good look at some of the name calling ppl post in here
"u dun talk big act lao jiao lah."
"elitist ashole. retrench b4 big faik har"